Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Official Feedback request: Global Illumination changes with the Unity 6 Beta (2023.3) release

Discussion in 'Unity 6 Beta' started by StevenK_Unity3D, Mar 6, 2024.

1. bugfinders

bugfinders

2. sacb0y

sacb0y

And that light on the left has no influence.

I guess see if marking it as important helps.

3. bugfinders

bugfinders

but as both lights in that room are from a prefab, and ive reset so all prefabs have no special orders, why would it be different?

Edit: Nope, important.. same result.

4. sacb0y

sacb0y

Hm, damn at that point i'd have to look at it directly. Maybe it's render layers or something, i'm not sure by a light would not work randomly.

Maybe there's something in the URP render feature? Did you try Forward+?

5. bugfinders

bugfinders

yep.. zero difference, its not even happy in the editor, let alone by the time you build it for webgl.

but this is why this bugs the snot out of me.. Ive got rooms with more lights that all work, and i have rooms 1 light and it doesnt work, and theres zero reasons i know of why, other than its not.. nothing says "Im not doing this because.." the converter never said "hey, i converted but i know i made a hash of.."

Edit: Im a programmer trying her way in making a game or few, but, I have the artistic talnet of a squashed dead frog, and i know nothing of game lighting - hence doing the training course, but, I am stupdily logical, due to being on the autistic spectrum, so, logic is my domain.. but my programming has blue screened, and finding information on why this stuff has farted in my face is seeming next to impossible..

Last edited: May 6, 2024
  6. sacb0y

sacb0y

Oh wait you're using custom shaders?

7. bugfinders

bugfinders

Well, I ended up trying to write one to combat an issue, but all walls/floor/ceiling is 1 shader... so, again if it works in one, it should work for the others surely

here you go, changed to standard lit shader, baked

upload_2024-5-6_15-4-33.png

it just hates me

8. sacb0y

sacb0y

Edit: oh wait I see you tried using lit.

Wait, why do I see shadows on the light to the left? What are these lights set to?

9. bugfinders

bugfinders

Under built in they were all real time, but to fix the leak, the everything Ive been told they need to be mixed, and hard shadows, AND low.. tbh Ive no idea.. I mean I get potentially why these were deemed necessary, but, the moment i come back say, so why do some not work.. radio silence..

upload_2024-5-6_15-14-23.png

oh it says disabled cos a lot of the time i work in shaded draw mode cos well its dark AF :p i wanna see hahaa.. but I turn it on properly to check.. obviously

10. sacb0y

sacb0y

What the F*** that intensity is high...

OH... OH NO....

Okay I see part of the problem your scale is whack. You need to think in terms of 1 unit = 1 meter.

The only way you have a light with 96 intensity that isn't extremely over blown is if it's HUGE. That would also explain why your baking and everything was weird.

Scale is extremely important; you really need to break things down to roughly real-world scale of 1 unit = 1 meter.

Built-in might have dealt with this discrepancy differently, but it should be corrected.

11. bugfinders

bugfinders

If i dont, it lights feck all of nothing... I mean its like a fart in a hurricane..... Again this was one of the many issues i faced after going from built in.. in built in it was a small number.. both wall and floor torches needed a rediculously higher number... from memory, wall ones were 4 under built in, and under urp needed to be a huge number before it lit anything ...

12. sacb0y

sacb0y

My theory is something went very wrong with the scale somewhere in your project, or possibly your tonemapping is borked?

You have a core issue somewhere.

Also as a side note, probably use light temperature not color, will look better :p

13. impheris

impheris

you should use realistic sizes on all your geometry, builds, walls, furniture, etc so lights will be accurate, you need to modify your objects in your 3d software to match realistic sizes

14. bugfinders

bugfinders

this i can believe, but how would i know..

here, here it is baked with the floor lamps set to 12, which is around what it was in built in.

upload_2024-5-6_15-42-34.png

how do I find out, there is no scale, everythings on 1/1/1, its all made at this scale.

15. sacb0y

sacb0y

Add a cube, a cube is 1 Unit.

EDIT: A reason why the lighting is different is because URP has a more realistic light fall off than Built in. The fall off was less in built-in so thats likely why.

16. bugfinders

bugfinders

I made it glow so you can see it

upload_2024-5-6_15-55-48.png

So yes, my skeles and player are about 180-200cm tall, etc..

17. impheris

impheris

yeah, that looks good.
    What are your exposure values? are you using the value on the editor camera settings? are you using post processing effects?

18. bugfinders

bugfinders

No, no post processing, and default values as far as Im aware, in fact cant find any exposure settings...

upload_2024-5-6_16-7-7.png

19. impheris

impheris

Create a new thread and send us the link... this is not the place for this

20. bugfinders

bugfinders

21. StevenK_Unity3D

StevenK_Unity3D

Unity Technologies

Hi all, thanks so much to everyone that was able to help contribute feedback to the global illumination changes delivered with Unity 6 Beta.

This survey is now closed!

sacb0y likes this.
  22. ebaender

ebaender

Are probe volumes broken for anyone else when migrating a project from 2023.2 to the Unity 6 preview? They work fine in the editor and in play mode, but all probe data will be missing in the build as if you didn't bake them at all. Deleting and regenerating baked lighting does not help either. There are no errors in the console when playing in the editor, and no errors during compilation either.

23. Kabinet13

Kabinet13

Make a bug report, though chances are a bug that severe is already known and will be fixed at some point in a future preview release.