Search Unity

Feedback on my Cube Land

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by henry96, Jan 6, 2012.

?

Does this game need story?

1. Yes

20.0%
  2. No

80.0%
  1. henry96

henry96

This is my new project. I have been working on it for a while (about a week) . This is a puzzle game. It's about getting the cube to the portal with the right color. Here is the LINK. Please share your thought of what you think about this game so that I can improve it. And if you have time, kindly rate this game. Enjoy!!!

Here are some screenshots :

$screenshot03.png $screenshot02.png $Screenshot04.png

Edit :

Now I'm thinking about adding the story to this game to make it more fun and interesting. It might make player desire to complete the game, which is a good thing. However, the cube has no face at all which can also make players think that this game is ridiculous. Now I cant come up with a good solution yet. So, what do you think about story integration? Is it a good idea or a bad one?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
  2. Acumen

Acumen

i'd politely suggest to post some screenshots so people know what to expect.always helps to more interest and clicks than just plain text
    :)

3. henry96

henry96

Ok!!!

4. henry96

henry96

5. a1s2d3f4

a1s2d3f4

This is a really good game :)

6. henry96

henry96

@asdf123 : I wonder about the my game performance on dropbox link. On my pc, it is slow n has bug. Did u experience the same thing?

7. a1s2d3f4

a1s2d3f4

No, it ran pretty smoothly on my computer. And all the textures seemed to be there.

8. henry96

henry96

That's strange because I ran this game (on dropbox link) on the other laptop, and it is lagged and bug.

9. Trackpants

Trackpants

The game's camera needs smoothing, it looked really jerky on either the flash or unity project. and the collision when pushing the larger cube was off (the controlled cube would disappear partially into the large one).

The idea is good and still has plenty of room to be expanded upon as well.

Level design feels a bit off to me, you've got too much unnecessary space that doesn't add to the game and only subtracts

10. henry96

henry96

Nice feedback especially about level design. I didn't realize about this when I tested it. Well ,I will fix those problems. And add new levels and features.

11. Trackpants

Trackpants

Glad to see someone taking feedback and actually appreciating it :) Glad to test for you if you have any future builds

12. henry96

henry96

Yep! Absolutely! Feedback is players' opinion. It's what they think. And that's sth that polish the game to reach wider audience. By the way, This game was rushed to be completed cuz of flash contest deadline. So, I decide to take my time to build another version.

13. xzile40

xzile40

This game is very nice, easy to play, and easy to understand... But it is somewhat broken

I noticed a few glitches in the game I would like to mention to you.

First, you can actually mass collide, or something of that sort, through some walls in the game. When you get to stage three, you can easily go through the wall and possibly fall through the floor next to the button on the wall. I noticed that immediate, especially when I went to go push the button, seeing as I went through the wall completely.

Second, when you get bombs, you can make it so you can place more then 1 bomb. every time you touch the 'black box' for the bombs, you get the ability to place another bomb. More than one bomb can cause you to go through the floor. I got it to the point where I made about 6 or 7 bombs, and then it just blew me through the floor into limbo, making me restart the game.

Since I had to restart, I didn't check anything past that point.
    I have a small suggestion though. You should try to make it so that you can jump upwards off of walls, so that you can go up vertical pathways by jumping off of each wall and bouncing up. It would give many more possibilities to a game like this :)

Also, I suggest that you make your levels a bit more interactive. Everything seems a bit too still. You should try adding some small sound clips for when you set off a bomb or have a large brick fall (or something like that), or for even when you collect the stars. On the suggestion of movement, I suggest you try adding some moving objects. For example, you should try adding some water or trees that have a wind effect on them somewhere. These objects can be in the background, it doesn't really matter if they are interactive or not. Just so that theres more movement, it'd be better. (please note that this is just my opinion, by no means do you have to do any of this :) )

The game didn't seem to lag at all. I used the flash version of the game when testing this. The only other problem I noticed is that when you have your cube collide with a wall, it will sometimes make your cube move back and forth really quickly.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  14. henry96

henry96

Thanks for your feedback! Here are my responds :

This is a serious bug which I am not aware of until now. I need to fix this ASAP.

Before I thought it would be okay to set more than one bomb, but after seeing its trouble, I think I am gonna change it to set bomb once at a time.

This is such a good idea. It also brings more ideas to me. I'm sure I will try to put this suggestion into action.

There is no audio in this game because I ran out of time. I made this game for flash contest. As you know, the duration of contest is quite short. So, I focused more on game-play and level design. That's the reason there is no audio. However, I'm sure that there will be audio on the next version.

This is quite a good style to make the game look more appealing. :D

I tested it on 4 different computers. The game is a bit lagged at every single one of them. Maybe it's because of graphic card. But Unity Web Player game doesn't seem to lag at all.

I also am aware of this. And I will fix it to bring good experience for the player.

Again, thanks for your feedback!:)

15. JMANMARINO

JMANMARINO

16. TonyNowak

TonyNowak

The scene has uneven box placement. Place a box prefab at 0,0,0 and hold Ctrl down and move it to snap to grid.

17. Xantec

Xantec

Just a few tips/suggestions. It would be cool of each time your started moving left or right it rotated similar to bloxorz. Also, the amount of movability while in the air seems a little too high. I can completely change directions while in the air, it just doesn't feel right. Btw I cant get passed level 2, it doesn't load the next level.

18. henry96

henry96

Thanks for the tips!!! I will rearrange properly on the next version.

I get your point. I will tweak those things to make it look best!!! :)

Would you mind explain a little bit about your condition?

19. henry96

henry96

Now I'm thinking about adding the story to this game to make it more fun and interesting. It might make player desire to complete the game, which is a good thing. However, the cube has no face at all which can also make players think that this game is ridiculous. Now I cant come up with a good solution yet. So, what do you think about story integration? Is it a good idea or a bad one?

20. Trackpants

Trackpants

In the case of this game, it doesn't need a story, it's a simple cube based puzzler. Sure you could give the cube a face and some tiny arms to make it seem more "character" like and say that he is trying to escape from some evil sphere based villain, but it wouldn't improve the experience any.

21. wccrawford

wccrawford

Not bad so far! The physics are really glitchy, and I got to a later round and it dropped the 'cube', but I couldn't figure out how to advance after that. It actually looks like dropping the cube was a mistake? I dunno.

Good luck on this!

22. henry96

henry96

@Trackpants : Hmmm...... That sounds true. Maybe this game doesn't need a story at all. Well then, I dont need to think about the plot. Hahaha!

@wccrawford : I'm fixing these problems. And about your round, I think there are 2 physics block. Hmmm..... What if they drop on each other ..... :D

23. wccrawford

wccrawford

That's great, if you think of it before you hit the button. Afterwards... What, just start the whole level over again?

24. henry96

henry96

just restart the level by using upper left button on the screen

25. JasonB

JasonB

Camera movements are rough and jerky, especially when moving vertically. If you're following the rigidbody, then you need to move the camera's translations into LateUpdate for it to update smoothly.

Your allowance for rigidbodies to penetrate is also much too high.

26. henry96

henry96

I'm also aware of these problems. Now I'm fixing them as fast as possible. And the penetration through wall problem is fixed. Now I'm fixing other problems, and thinking of new levels for the next version. :D

27. kingcharizard

kingcharizard

I dunno if i said this but pretty cool man....

28. henry96

henry96

Thanks!!! :D !!!

Now I'm thinking whether to implement story into this game. Still in consideration.

29. henry96

henry96

So, I have got lots of feedback, suggestions, and bug report so far. Graphic, on the other hand, hasn't been discussed a lot yet. So, what do you think about this game's graphic? Is it okay (acceptable) , or it needs lots more work?

30. Chris Aoki

Chris Aoki

May be make the cube roll instead of just slide (it looks weird), add some stuff to the background (a happy sun, birds, billboards etc.), may be some dynamic intro text when the level starts like 1,2,3 GO! Probably want some background music and spruce the menus up a bit instead of using the generic unity GUI templates. Game play wise and mechanics though are pretty solid, just need to pretty it up a bit.

31. henry96

henry96

I just fixed it. Now, it rolls instead of slide. I will add new sort of stuff to the background to make it entertaining and not boring. Hopefully, my background will look great. This is going to be tough cuz I don't have much technique or idea about 2D thingy. Sound effect is also on my list. :D

32. kingcharizard

kingcharizard

Personally I do not see the need for a story what exactly would the story be, a rogue cube set out to stomp on platforms to save the world?

33. henry96

henry96

Haha!!! Yeah, u are right! I think it sort of fine the way it is.

34. henry96

henry96

I have been working on this game for quite sometimes. And many bugs are fixed. Especially I added and edited the levels. And now it has 20 levels. Recently the level design really gets on my nerve cuz in a scene, there are only a bunch of cubes and a skybox. To me, it's a bit annoying. However, I'm not sure about this because players' minds are different from one to another. That's why I want to ask you guys that does level design like this is acceptable or it's completely annoying?