Search Unity

Feedback on models

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by STGDeveloper, Jun 20, 2012.

1. STGDeveloper

STGDeveloper

If some of you have time i would like to get some feedback on some basic models that the staff at Star Travel Gaming has completed for our upcoming game SG-13: Assault Force. The link to this pictures is attached and is our official site for all things Star Travel Gaming related. Thanks in advance guys and please feel free to post on our blog or on this topic with your thoughts.

Note: All the pictures have captions attached if you have trouble identifying the item you are viewing, also none of the pictures are textured yet as we are still looking for a texture artist.

Link to model pictures: http://www.startravelgaming.com/photosvideointerview.html

As was requested below i have added the wire frame shots of the 4 models we have available for public viewing at this time onto our website.

Sincerely,
    Star Travel Gaming Developers

Last edited: Jun 20, 2012
  2. Lavidimus

Lavidimus

Without a texture, wire frame or at least UV maps, it's hard to give constructive criticism on what you have there. Also I would render them all out on the same plain backdrop so it's uniform. That aside it's easy to tell what each of those are and the silhouettes seem good so it's a good start.

3. STGDeveloper

STGDeveloper

Thanks for the feedback i will upload wire frame models to this topic as we do not have any UVW maps on our models at this time.

4. MadRobot

MadRobot

If you really want feedback on a model, do a clay render with global illumination on a plain background. This allows people to see the actual object shape without any distractions. A second identical render with wireframe over clay is good for showing polygons. Also, zoom the camera in so the item fills the entire image.

In general, anything you can do to make it *easier* to see and critique your work, the more likely people are to give you feedback.

5. Goolygot

Goolygot

You're using so many unneeded polys. You don't need to have more than one round of polygons on a flat surface (if you understand what I'm saying). The barrel on any of your weapons can you take away at least 50% of them without anything looking diffrently.

6. Farfarer

Farfarer

It'd be a really good idea to google for optimisation techniques for game models. I think there's a lot you could learn :)

Aside from that, it's not really worth giving critique to the models, other than some thoughts on presentation;

Don't show your models on a black background. It makes the silhouette extremely hard to see.

For game models, there's no need to do a render. Just a cropped screengrab of the 3D viewport will do.

Generally, a screengrab with wireframes off and one with wireframes on is expected, so that people can easily give proper feedback on the construction of the mesh.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2012
  7. STGDeveloper

STGDeveloper

I have uploaded some new screen grabs of all 4 view-ports open and a different view in each one. I will further enhance this when i get some more time, but i am heading on a long trip for work today so it won't be until later this afternoon. I hope you all will continue with your feedback on better presentation as well as what changes you see that could be made to the model that wouldn't hurt its flow.

@goolygot--to try and grasp what you are saying with the polygons on a flat surface, most of my edges/cuts where made using swift-loop so it automatically cuts around the entire model when i need an edge in certain locations. Would you recommend using the cut tool or connect tool instead? Last time i did this i ran into big trouble trying to map the model once i was done, i guess i may have made some bad connections and cuts and had some 5 sided areas.

8. bigmisterb

bigmisterb

In max, add an Optimize modifier to your model. This will immediately reduce the polygon counts on flat faces to minimum.

I think that was my biggest compliant as from first seeing them.

Other than that the 3rd model has way to many polygons for what it is. (especially for gaming)

The 4th model seems a big generic, but that my be by design.

It is very hard to tell with no textures or UV's on things. Those are the biggest and hardest things about 3d modeling for games anyways.

Aside from all of that, it all seems very safe at the moment. The weapons have recognizable shapes.

Perhaps some more advanced polygon work is in order for you.

9. Khyrid

Khyrid

As mentioned above too many polys, decide if you want low poly (cartoonish), medium (realistic) or high (ultra realistic). Avoid using five sided or more polys. tris (three sided polys) are okay but four sided are best, try to use only four sided it makes for better topology (logical flow of polygons in relation to each other). Also make a drawing or get a photo, put it in the background and use that to model over.

10. STGDeveloper

STGDeveloper

Thanks for the feedback and we do use background photos and drawings to model over, we haven't quite decided on the level of detail we will be using which is why the ploy counts have not been messed with, but it will probably be between low and medium for the demo game we are releasing in the coming months.

11. STGDeveloper

STGDeveloper

Thanks for the heads up i hadn't even thought about adding an optimize modifier, I guess that is on part of the heavy load we are taking on at the moment just churning out models for texture as rapidly as possible. Thanks for the assistance.

12. Khyrid

Khyrid

Using the orthographic Front, Side, Top or Bottom views (non perspective), you can line up the vertices perfectly with the picture. I often have the picture from multiple angles put on planes that float in my scene and all line up. Anyway, use whatever works for you.

13. STGDeveloper

STGDeveloper

Do you use the same photo or differing views of the same object? We use different views, but it sometimes becomes difficult to see and line up items.

14. STGDeveloper

STGDeveloper

Hey everyone, got some new photos up of the first beta world constructed inside of unity. It is in a very early stage, but we want to keep the community up to date on our progress.

Visit our website at www.startravelgaming.com