Search Unity

Official Feedback Needed - Deprecation of SRP Autodesk Interactive Shaders

Discussion in 'Universal Render Pipeline' started by ali_mohebali, Mar 7, 2023.

1. ali_mohebali

ali_mohebali

Unity Technologies

The ShaderGraph Autodesk Interactive shaders replicate the Interactive PBS available in Autodesk® 3DsMax and Autodesk® Maya for Universal Render Pipeline (URP) and High Definition Render Pipeline (HDRP). They are provided as part of Scriptable Render Pipeline (SRP) packages. There are some differences between what you see in Autodesk® Maya or Autodesk® 3DsMax and what you see in Unity with these shaders.

We are evaluating the deprecation of these shaders in the latest SRP packages as we see low usage. Therefore we are looking for your feedback to consider in our decision-making.

If you are interested, here is a quick survey that should take 5 minutes of your time. We appreciate your feedback in advance:
    https://bit.ly/srp-autodesk-shaders

2. newguy123

newguy123

Ah please dont!
    There is no alternative to converting materials from 3ds max physical materials to Unity.

If we're forced to use URP Lit or HDRP Lit instead of the 3dsmax, we have to use non intuitive values etc to replicate the physical materials in Unity.

With the Autodesk Interactive Materials in Unity, we simply plug in our textures and values exactly as we see it in 3ds Max and this brings us at least 90% + of the way there.

If you want to deprecate it, then at least have a way to properly convert the Physical Materials from 3ds max into Unity URP Lit or HDRP Lit shaders, because other than the Autodesk shaders, there are NO alternatives!

Last edited: Mar 8, 2023
    ali_mohebali likes this.
  3. newguy123

newguy123

Also, it would be good if you can post this thread in the HDRP and Raytracing sections. I managed to catch it here in URP by pure chance as I'm currently busy with a mobile app with URP.

However, the majority of my work is in HDRP Raytracing world for Architecture projects.

4. ali_mohebali

ali_mohebali

Unity Technologies

It was cross-posted in HDRP forums as well

newguy123 likes this.
  5. wwWwwwW1

wwWwwwW1

These interactive shaders are created in shader graph, so I don't think it's too much work to maintain.

It'd be a good idea to put them into the package samples page (for both RPs) if deprecating them. (and document this change somewhere)
    PackageSamples.jpg

Last edited: Mar 9, 2023
    Ofx360 and ali_mohebali like this.
  6. DevDunk

DevDunk

I agree to put them in samples. This gets them out of the way for most people but still accesible.
    I have seen 1 report of a autodesk shader required, which was impossible without writing out own shader. Myself I dont use autodesk, so cant say much more

ali_mohebali likes this.
  7. jRocket

jRocket

I say get rid of them. Autodesk is quickly becoming less relevant for games. If Autodesk wants a workflow to match Unity's shaders in their viewport, they can make them, such as what Modo has done.