Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback Feedback Friday #85 - October 25-28, 2019

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by Antypodish, Oct 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Antypodish

Antypodish

Feedback Friday is now open!

Want design feedback for your new game and need some playtesting feedback?

Then you've found the right thread! Feedback Friday runs from Friday to Monday every week.

What To Show
    • Minimally Viable Product (MVP) - Core game play > everything else
    • How To Scope Small (Unity tutorial)
    • Post a link to a playable game, preferably WebGL. If you don't have a playable game, post something substantial, not just text.
    How To Ask For Feedback
    • Be concise.
    • Specify what you want feedback on and what you don't.
    • Resist the urge to write an immediate defense to feedback. Take the time to understand their points. Remember that your friends here are taking time out of their busy schedules to help you for free.
    How To Give Feedback
    • Be positive. Every game has some redeeming quality.
    • Focus on the design, not the designer.
    • Be specific and constructive. Don't like something? Explain why.
    Let the feedback begin!

[PS - Feedback Friday #84 is here]

Lime_x and TonyLi like this.
  2. TonyLi

TonyLi

This one may look familiar. In one sense, it's a reskin of the sci-fi idea I posted a few Feedback Fridays ago. But it has a few new twists. It's still an ultra-casual strategy game. Accepting any feedback you all might have on it.

3. Antypodish

Antypodish

TonyLi
    My experience after first start.

1. It takes quite a bit of time to load. Maybe is just server, where files are hosted. Appears around 10 MB of loaded file.

2. After first 2 dialogs, you have map and no dialog. Next dialog pops up after clicking anywhere, saying, "click on neighborhood", or something like that. That dialog should pop up, in my opinion, without needing a click.

3. Not sure, what red/green bar above hero avatar means. Maybe will figure out later.
    Ok, after dragging hero, it shows failure / success.

4. Wizard of Wrath seam have more success alone at start. This is by design?

5. Once dragged, it would be nice, to have displayed name of character as well.
    upload_2019-10-26_23-35-19.png

6. I would like change initially, or accidentally selected region.

7. Suggestion: Clicking in the region, between available hero panel, and hero selection panel, could close the both panels, without needing clicking x-es.

8. Music is nice, but start getting repetitive. Sure, is just early game dev :)

9. It would be nice, if I don't need click that popup, to close it. Nice if I can click anywhere else as well, to close it, since has no options to select anyway. Is just message.

upload_2019-10-26_23-48-1.png

10. At the current, all heros stats seems not much important, since I just look at Failure chance.

11. And thats it. Or I am stuck? :)
    upload_2019-10-26_23-55-54.png

12. Very nice art.

13. Oh, here it is ...
    upload_2019-10-26_23-57-14.png

14. Need finish game turns counter.

15. No play again button?:) Need refresh browser manually.

tylerguitar75, Socrates and TonyLi like this.
  4. TonyLi

TonyLi

Thanks for the feedback! The UI needs polish. This includes a menu where you can turn off music and restart the game, and cleanup of what mouse clicks do -- which are exactly the things you noticed.

Apart from the UI cleanup, I'm not planning to put much more into this. The idea was interesting -- a game where your only action is to commit a limited number of heroes to time-based quests -- but it didn't quite work out. If anyone has thoughts on how the mechanic could have worked better, please let me know.

5. kdgalla

kdgalla

Hey @TonyLi . Cool game, but I struggled with the interface a bit so I made some notes. (Some of these are probably just arbitrary preferences based on what I'm accustomed to seeing). Also, I should mention that don't play a lot of strategy games so I may not be familiar with conventions in UI for that genre.

• At the beginning when the Steward says "long live our monarch", even though the button on the top right had a + sign, to me it still looked like a button to close the window(i.e. cancel), rather than a continue button. For me it would be clearer if the button was on the bottom right, or if it was a right-pointing arrow.
    • When the steward says to select a region, I wasn't sure what that meant at first. In the beginning you just see the castle and all the rest of the map is blacked-out. To me it looked like the castle is the only region you can click on, but onviously that's not the case. At the very beginning you can't see the hex regions adjacent to the castle (I guess because they haven't been "scouted" yet?) I think it would help if a clickable region was highlighted when you mouse-over it. Then it's clear that "that's one of the places that I can click."
    • Through-out the game, when click on a region, at first it was not clear to me that I was "taking an action" by click on the region, rather then just previewing it. I think it would clearer if before the description window comes up, there should be some sort of animation that indicates that you are "selecting" that region as part of your turn. Maybe the region should be lit-up with tween animation and then have particles and a jingly sound effect.
    • upload_2019-10-26_18-50-14.png Also this screen was a little confusing. I wasn't sure what the bars on the character's heads represented. At first I though it might be HP or something. Eventually I came to the conclusion that it was some sort of success/fail rating for that specific event, where all-green is guaranteed-win and all red is no-chance-to-win. I'm still not sure if that's correct. With that, I'm not sure what the "Success Chance" means. In this case are "Leadership" and "Magic" attributes that my character needs? Is the bar on the character's portrait calculated base on these attributes?
    • On the screen above, it took me a while to figure out that I needed to drag the portrait in order to assign the hero. I'm not sure how you could make this clearer without without writing explicit instructions, though. For some reason I think that if you put a border around the portrait it might help. That way the portrait looks more like a "separate object" than the background window (and so can be moved independently).
    • Since the "Assign Hero" bar is so wide, it looks as if you should be able to assign multiple heroes to the event. I'd make it look more like a "socket" rather than a bar.

Socrates and TonyLi like this.
  6. TonyLi

TonyLi

Thanks, @kdgalla. I expected that the consensus would be that the UI needs cleaning up. I kind of half-assed it as I ported it over from the sci-fi version that I posted here a few weeks ago. (That version didn't have a map.) Thanks for the ideas on cleaning it up.

If you got to the point where you could actually play the game, did you have any thoughts about the mechanic?

7. TonyLi

TonyLi

@Antypodish, @kdgalla - I incorporated some of your suggestions. Same link as before. [Edit: Added title screen and a few other niceties. Pretty much calling it done. It was an interesting experiment.]

Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
  8. Antypodish

Antypodish

Yes a bit better.
    Still, changing selected tail to different one, would be nice.

9. TonyLi

TonyLi

What do you mean by "tail"?

10. Antypodish

Antypodish

Sorry auto correction, I meant tiles/plots :)

11. TonyLi

TonyLi

Sorry, I still don't understand. What would the tile change to?

12. Antypodish

Antypodish

What I mean is, once you select the plot, you can not change to different one, until click next turn.

As new player, person will try click random plots, just to realize, player can not change their choice.

So for example I have no spare heroes and I clicked on assassin tile mission. Obvious is I will loose this turn. But instead I could choose none fighting required plot. I.e. Market. Unfortunately player can not do that, as I already have selected. At least not in any intuitive way.

Does that clarifies the problem?

13. TonyLi

TonyLi

I just uploaded another update that lets you view the tile before deciding to select it or change your choice.

14. kdgalla

kdgalla

Yeah, one thing that I didn't like when I played it, was that I would select an area, but I would frequently reveal no-win scenarios, where it looked like all of my heroes had 0% chance of success. I think it's not a bad thing to have random pitfalls, but it felt like I was stumbling around blindly.

I also wanted to mention that I really liked the graphics and music. The game manages to capture a lot of the classic RPG feel and feels like a real game despite how minimal the game-play is.

Antypodish likes this.
  15. TonyLi

TonyLi

Thanks! I'm hoping that the ability to preview a tile before selecting it will fix that issue. The graphics and music are just Asset Store stuff; not my creations.

16. Antypodish

Antypodish

But at least you got consistent theme. Which is good.
    Sorry, unable to test new update atm.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.