Search Unity

[Feedback Friday #69] - Boulders, Interns, and Games - Oh My! [07/27/2018]

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by Gigiwoo, Jul 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gigiwoo

Gigiwoo

Feedback Friday #69 is open until August 10th.

Peak summer means full-on! Major deadlines at work, plus interns out on break, plus bouldering for the first time. Long days, with lots of sun raises the bar for everyone. And where it's cool inside, I see creative ideas sparking to life everywhere. From the big - building their own HQ viral sensation, to the medium - what's next in their careers, to the small - how their going to spend the last summer months. The answer of course, is games!

----

Want design feedback for your new game? Then you've found the right thread! Post here to get precious player feedback. Discuss until we lock the thread to start the two week break.

How To Ask For Feedback
    • Show - Pics, videos, or best of all, a playable game!
    • Be Concise - Who's got time for Wall 'O Text? Less is more
    How To Give Feedback
    • Be Positive - Finding redeeming qualities in the worst of games, is in itself a game
    • Focus On The Design - Not the designer
    • Be Specific - "Your game sucks!" is for nubs
    What To Show
    • Minimally Viable Product (MVP) - Core game play >>> everything else
    • How To Scope Small (Unity tutorial)
    Gigi

[PS - Feedback Friday #68 is here]

Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
  2. Philip-Rowlands

Philip-Rowlands

I had put development on hiatus for a while, due to my graphics card drivers being screwed up, and I just missed the last Feedback Friday. Before that, I had started working on a spin-off of my last game. I call this one "The Phisher's Gauntlet".

Spammers are invading an unnamed city, and you've been cut off during the evacuation. Unfortunately, you're trapped in a part of town that was long ago abandoned to Phishers - Gremlin-like monsters that steal people's personal data. A ROFLcopter pilot has agreed to pick you up, but they're not going to wait around forever! So, get to the choppa!

What I'm aiming to do is to create some AI that will stalk and ambush the player while the player sneaks, shoots or sprints their way to the pickup point. The NPCs aren't capable of stalking yet, but they can throw spears at you if you kick over a can or blunder into a bear trap. Those spears are tipped with a poison that cause you to hallucinate login screens or demands to pay a non-existent fine; if they're not closed within 5 seconds, you take more damage.

Download link: https://gamejolt.com/games/phishers_gauntlet/353411 (Linux and Windows for now). Controls are pretty standard FPS controls (WASD moves, Space jumps, etc).

Screenshots
    L-R: An attacking Phisher, a rough screenshot of where your objective is, and a hallucinated demand to pay a fine.
    Phisher_Attacking.png Roflcopter Pad.png Phising_Screen.png

Gigiwoo likes this.
  3. Gigiwoo

Gigiwoo

It's a quiet review. Much as I tried to hype summer time, I suspect people are doing what we do in summer... going outside.

Gigi

4. Murgilod

Murgilod

Ah dang, I wanted to show my current project because the number 69 makes me laugh as I am 10 years old, but I am nowhere near the MVP stage.

Gigiwoo likes this.
  5. Gigiwoo

Gigiwoo

@Murgilod - How about 2 more weeks? Or if not, then 4 weeks after that. :).

@Philip-Rowlands - For next review, consider seeing if you can get a web version up. Putting a download/zip in between users is a huge psychological barrier.

For the rest, FF #69 is drawn to a close. We'll see you on August 24th. If your neighborhood is not on fire, like our regional blazes here in Orange County California, then please do enjoy a beautifully sunny summer.

Gigi

Philip-Rowlands likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.