Search Unity

[Feedback Friday #49] - December 22, 2016

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by Gigiwoo, Dec 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gigiwoo

Gigiwoo

FF 49 is closed. FF 50 opens Friday, Jan 20.

---

Want design feedback for your new game? Then you've found the right thread! Post here to get precious player feedback. Discuss until we lock the thread to start the two week break.

How To Ask For Feedback?
    • Show - Pics, videos, or best of all, a playable game!
    • Be Concise - Who's got time for Wall 'O Text? Less is more
    How To Give Feedback?
    • Be Positive - Finding redeeming qualities in the worst of games, is in itself a game
    • Focus On The Design - Not the designer
    • Be Specific - "Your game sucks!" is for nubs
    What To Show?
    • Minimally Viable Product (MVP) - Core game play >>> everything else
    • How To Scope Small (Unity tutorial)
    Gigi

[PS - Feedback Friday #48 is here]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
  2. rogueknight

rogueknight

Our first feedback Friday!

Techophobia is a 2D teamwork game focused on providing a fun local-multiplayer experience. We have a lot of the core features complete and would love to receive some feedback on the current mechanics. Currently the local multiplayer set up isn't ready but we have the single player ready. Our work in progress page has more information if you would like to check that out: WIP Unity Forums

We would love any feedback! A few things we would love to know is:

1. How does the game feel while playing? Does the room movement feel good? Does the player movement feel right? 2. Any comments about the art/aesthetics of the game would be awesome!

Just to note there are some minor bugs that we are still working on. For example it is possible to have the camera get out of sync with the player. I will work on that this week and fix that. Also we only have 1 player in the game. So although you can pick anyone it will default to 1 blue character.

After burning the midnight oil last night and today we are looking forward to getting some feedback! Any and all feedback or critique is welcomed. Thank you in advance!

TechnophobiaAlphaDropBox
    (Creating a web demo for some reason broke all our assets. I will try later to provide a web demo. Thanks)

Master-Frog, Gigiwoo and GarBenjamin like this.
  3. roger0

roger0

The controls could use some change. It would be nice if you could control the character in a fps fashion. Mouse to aim up and down, Left mouse button to fire, A and D keys to move forward and back, space to jump.

I noticed when I throw the gun to the ground and pick it back up, it will be backwards. So the gun shoots from behind. And instead of shooting at the ground, it shoots upwards. Not sure if this is a bug or feature..

So far I'm not sure what else to say. The level would end sometimes when going in a room and I would be a little confused as to why the level ended or finished. The enemies were the only real obstacles and were very easy to beat. They were very slow and only took one hit. Maybe give them more health and have them charge at you once you enter a room. Or use ranged attacks.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2016
    rogueknight and CmdrSisko like this.
  4. CmdrSisko

CmdrSisko

Hey thank you for the review! That's a really good idea I didn't think about using the mouse for aim.

The gun shooting backwards is just a bug that we missed fixing before we uploaded the game. Also we have a self destruct timer and your character leaves after it goes up, its on a couple of the tv screens but we should have it much more obvious. We will definitely improve the AI, add health and some more dynamic attacks from the enemies.

Thanks again for the review and constructive criticism, it was very helpful!

5. rogueknight

rogueknight

Hey thanks again for posting that! We have been looking at our game for so long it really helps to have another perspective. We definitely have a lot of things to work on. Thanks again for helping us!

6. yashpal

yashpal

As roger0 said control is difficult to learn. but you are planning to make 3 player on 1 keyboard. I think it is difficult to achieve.

And while I am playing it my main character is dead and I become that small crawling Alien.
    And graphics is good.
    I think player can interact with some items from background, this might be in later stage of development.

CmdrSisko and rogueknight like this.
  7. yashpal

yashpal

Can I post prototype of my game or this is for full game only.

I am currently developing game called Cowboy football. it is just in prototyping phase only.
    ezgif.com-optimize (1).gif

It is FPS game where you can shoot football. Player need to shoot the ball in a manner ball goes in to the goalpost.
    This is basic promise of game.
    But here is trick, goal post is not always in front, it is different in different stages. you need to shoot football accurately. and in later stages some new objects are also in level like bomb, (so ball is effected by bomb explosion.) Wind, some breakable boxes ,Sniper Rifle, etc.
    Player never die in this game. but in every level player have limited ammo. if player run out of ammo he need to go to start to take more ammo.(It is in development)

Here is playable prototype of this game. Cowboy Football Prototype

I am open for any suggestions and feedbacks.
    Game graphics, sounds and models are just placeholder at this time. I want to know ,is this type game is fun to play?

Thanks for reading.

8. rogueknight

rogueknight

Thank you VERY much for your feedback! We will definitely see how we can rework the controls. Thank you both for helping us with that.

Regarding 3 players yes we are going to need controller support for each player. So if someone wants to play 3 players they will need a controller for the 3rd or have controllers for all three to use. If your just playing with two people you can remap your keyboard any way you would like.

We have also been discussing having an AI buddy help you if your playing single player. That way you can still have a fun experience even if you don't have another friend to play with. But we will see...

Thank you very much for your feedback! I can't at the moment but I will test your game as soon as I can!

9. CmdrSisko

CmdrSisko

To be honest when I saw this game I didn't think it would be that fun. But when I played it I actually really liked it!

I do think it is a good gameplay idea! Especially like you said when you add more dynamic obstacles like bombs, moving parts, maybe even teleporters and lasers. Graphics are nice, even before you say you will upgrade them.

My short answer would be yes I do think this game will be fun.

10. yashpal

yashpal

Thank you for review, It great to know that you like it.
    Teleports and Lasers are great idea. I think I will implement it game.

Thanks again

rogueknight likes this.
  11. Gigiwoo

Gigiwoo

@yashpal

I didn't play it. Cause right or wrong, dropbox is a psychological barrier - just enough effort that I delay it until later. From the screen shots, the concept is interesting. And, I think it can be even stronger if you went big! It's already a crazy idea - cowboy's shooting a ball, with a gun, to make a goal. So, make it even crazier - get silly with it! Make the 6-shooter a big-fat-cannon looking thing! Make the ball about 3 feet tall. Instead of just point-aiming, when you left-click to fire, have it zoom in, BIG-FAT-ZOOM covers most of the screen! Make everything happen fast - turbo speed. Right now you have put-put golf - Xtremify it, until you have Jungle golf!

Gigi

12. Gigiwoo

Gigiwoo

PS - For demo's - webdemos get 3x the reviews. As helpful as dropbox is, it's also a psychological barrier. Your peers are less likely to take that extra step. (And yes, web demo's don't run in Chrome - no worries).

Gigi

13. rogueknight

rogueknight

Good advice! You are completely right I should have gotten the web version going. Fortunately we have already taken some of the feedback we have gotten and have made improvements. When we release our next demo I will make sure to upload it as a web player.

Thank you!

Gigiwoo likes this.
  14. yashpal

yashpal

It's amazing idea, I started adding some realistic graphics to game so game looks good.
    now I thinking about to make other demo according to your idea. You are right. if idea is crazy than make it more crazier :) .

Thank you

Gigiwoo likes this.
  15. Marrt

Marrt

Hi,

I have been tinkering on some mobile games recently, one of it is a shooter that i would like to see fully developed next year, but i am very unsure if people will wrap their heads around the input implementation, so:

I would like to get some feedback on my Prototype, mainly feel & controls, could you enjoy a gyroscope game?
    • First/Third-Person Shooter with local Multiplayer
    • Android & iOS
    • gyroscope centered controls (accelerometer fallback for phones that don't support a gyroscope)
    • The game starts with a calibration prompt after which a short Tutorial will follow
    • The only content so far is "Training", you can't kill the soldiers standing around in the Shooting Range or other players
    • Uses Bluetooth (for local Multiplayer), therefore the install will ask for location-sharing (since Bluetooth can be used to do just that). But i don't do that in any way
    • Sensitivity and gyro-filter-intensity are adjustable, tell me if you liked the default values
    Video, (sorry for the poor footage, dark souls 3 background noise and my infuriatingly clumsy tapping, was hard to play through a camera in the dark)

- calibration prompt when game starts for the first time (or when you cleared PlayerPrefs)
    - calibration prompt will stop appearing if you passed the tutorial (you can calibrate anytime in "Options: Viewport")
    - calibration automatically takes care about Screen.Orientation, so you can rotate your device without messing up calibration (my code flips the gyro input accordingly, yes, that is necessary)
    - if your device does not support a gyroscope i have created a decent accelerometer implementation, but the accelerometer data is so messy that heavy-latency inducing filtering is required, you will see a big red static "ACCELEROMETER MODE" info at the top in that case
    - The Challengesare (Training) a bit lacking, both in sophistication and name, i plan to do a way better twitch and muscle memory test where you have to hover on an object until a second object appears, then the time you need to hit the second object is measured, that should be more twitch-like aiming task
    - The "Clear Holes"-activators removes yellow impact indicators, i disabled pooling for now because i want to check the impact patterns for several hundred shots so they have to stay visible, but they create some draw calls
    - There are some things of which i am aware of that suck right now:
    - bullet trails in first person mode are a bit displaced while moving
    - 3rd-person running animation bounces to heavy in y direction, eyecancer, i will find a better running animation someday
    - 3rd-person gun is badly animated because i just found out about inverse kinematics and did not have the time to tinker with it yet
    - Sounds for automatics are not looped yet, so they create inconsistent intervals that are annoying
    - shooting around corners in third person will be addressed in future by a special mechanic

You can download the .apk file from this dropbox link if you want to install it on your device

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
    Gigiwoo likes this.
  16. TonyLi

TonyLi

I couldn't get the circle in the center. The tiniest motion spun my view 720 degrees or more.

Gigiwoo and Marrt like this.
  17. Marrt

Marrt

Thanks for checking it out!

Hmm, i thought the gyro input is in absolute degree/s so there would be no difference between devices in principle. What is your device?

Did you put down your device while calibrating? I really should check if the device is still while calibrating, otherwise you might get a big offset and you will rotate constantly. Yeah, i should, i'll code it now...

Finished, I changed the build (same link):

- The menu is now available during the Tutorial, in there you are able to change Sensitivity under "Options: Viewport"
    - reduced default Sensitivity
    - Calibration now checks if the device really is really still and aborts and repeats the calibration until it is

upload_2017-1-2_9-43-17.png

hmm, but if the devices are really that different in gyro-readings i'll have to create a dynamic sensitivity checker... maybe by measuring the speed of the first turns the user does, if the speed is incredibly high then his gyro must be sensitive and i adjust my sensitivity accordingly... i can't prompt the first-time-users to fiddle around with a slider or can i?

Just a slider shown to the user while the circle challenge is active, but it has to be sublime, maybe even visually show that the slider comes out from the menu, so the player knows it is in there if he needs it later.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
    Gigiwoo likes this.
  18. TonyLi

TonyLi

I tried it on a still, flat surface like in your video. But the accelerometer still seems too touchy. I couldn't get it to center the circle. I'm using a cheap Azpen tablet.

Gigiwoo likes this.
  19. Marrt

Marrt

Ah, you use the Accelerometer mode ( You can see the RED text on top left indicating that). That is a relieve of sorts, this mode is S***ty on any device compared to the true gyromode, not much i can do about that. If it jumps around like crazy try to turn the LookFilter all the way to the left.

But maybe your problem is this (and it is my fault because i did not inform you, but i wanted to get the build ready for this feedback window):
    When using the accelerometer mode you need to hold your device within about 45° to have a decent look-input, not more (see green in picture), or the angle readings will become to jumpy because the gravity vector is nearly in line with my yaw-reference-vector.

upload_2017-1-2_18-2-51.png

If that does not solve it try to pull the look filter all the way to the right (no filtering) and tell me what you see, for me this makes my camera go crazy circlejerking around with no end because accelerometer measurements is so messy.

EDIT: updated apk. file,
    - in AccelerometerMode you will get a warning if your device is not held flat enough
    - added Sensitivity-Slider cameo appearance to Circle-Look in Tutorial
    upload_2017-1-2_18-29-51.png

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
  20. Billy4184

Billy4184

WEBGL DEMO

Looking for feedback on the mining system in my mobile space game. Particularly:
    • Is it straightforward what you have to do?
    • Is it boring or fun?
    • Good/bad sfx and vfx?
    • Is it annoying to have to pick up the chunks?
    • Anything else you'd like to comment on!
    You can also trade in the ore at the local mining station but the trading system is still just a bare prototype at the moment.

Screenshot (9).png
    Screenshot (3).png

Thanks!

21. Marrt

Marrt

I like those types of games and the looks of it, so please take my feedback with a smile

Sounds:
    - Since mining is a main task in your game, make the sounds WAAAAY more sublime, they are too loud and noisy
    - your main engine loop does not loop seamlessly, some of those should loop without the "pop" every cycle
    https://www.freesound.org/search/?q=engine+loop&f=&s=duration+asc&advanced=0&g=1

Gameplay
    - You need to change that "hold ray onto static rock and collect them by colliding"-mining-mechanic. Maybe something that releases some bricks after it has been shot once or twice and you have to tractor-beam those pieces. I never thought about making a fun mining mechanic before, but please think hard about making mining more interesting. Maybe the meteors are flying around and rotating and you have to shoot the right spot in order to release some ores... Something that doesn't involve waiting and enduring noise
    - Too much yellow arrows, bunch them together for distant batches or just show near targets
    - There is "Light Missile" and "Heavy Missile" to choose from... guess what i pick every time :D now... how can i shoot it?

Controls:
    - i am not fond of cursor controls but yours work for me.
    - But the ship rotation + camera feels very lethargic and unresponsive and i always overshoot the rotation i had in mind.
    - When i want to shoot straight the OS-cursor overlaps the crosshairs, hard to solve without control redesign
    - Z/X is a bad choice i think, for some countries at least, make it both Z and Yfor thrust, this is my keyboard:
    upload_2017-1-2_23-2-42.png

- i pressed J somewhere due to a prompt and my ship threw itself into space, the camera was left behind i had to reload

Gigiwoo likes this.
  22. Billy4184

Billy4184

Thanks for the feedback! Bear in mind, this is a mobile game so a lot of the controls will be changed later to suit. I will definitely have an apk for feedback in near future.

Interesting that you find the mining boring, but I can see what you mean - the issue seems to be the waiting with nothing to do once you aim correctly.
    • Definitely the sounds need to be more subtle but I didn't want anyone to miss them for the demo hehe. Do you find the sparking noise annoying? Yeah the engine sound hasn't been worked on and I can hardly hear it on my laptop, but I will fix it!
    • There are too many yellow arrows, yes - the ore was spawned on every asteroid but that was just for the demo, it will be spawned much more infrequently in the game and possibly more hidden so that the player has to search for it, or scan manually for a shorter range.
    • There's no combat in this demo - the missiles can only be fired when locked. Do you think they should be able to dumb-fire?
    • I'll try to tighten up the controls and make it more snappy with less momentum - I guess I'm used to it but I find it pleasant around those settings.
    • Do you mean X/Y for the throttle? I may make it W/S actually.
    Cheers!

Gigiwoo likes this.
  23. Billy4184

Billy4184

I tried your apk and I liked the accelerometer based looking (no gyro on my crappy phone..!)

I think my phone screen is too small because I didn't see many of the controls you showed in your post, so I couldn't evaluate much else. I'm probably going to get a better device soon to test my game on, so when I do I'll give it another go.

24. Marrt

Marrt

Oh, please do an .apk file now if you have something ready! If this is to be mobile i am very curious on how you are going to solve the controls. Can you explain it?

Other points:
    - noise: yeah, the sparking, try something very dampened with low pass filtering ( but hey, just my opinion )
    - The yellow arrows might impact you mobile performance maybe, a lot of transform calls +geometric-math
    - not sure about missiles, i've read "heavy missiles" and instantly wanted to blow something up... How would you do a lock on mechanic on mobile? a floating rect above your finger, so that it stays visible while holding? Auto-Lock on? I fear lock on beeping sounds that come whenever something is tagetable
    - yeah, i meant throttle

Thank you for installing it, with controls you mean the menu i believe, the game-controls should be screen-space based. Thanks, i think i messed up scaling somewhere without noticing by adding maxHeight in px, added some of unity's auto-scaling components and now my percent based sizing is broken somehow.

Too bad no one has a gyro on his phone, i didn't find any statistics on that either, i thought like 30% should have one. I only know that all top line phones feature a gyro ( iPhone 5 and later, Samsung S, Xperia Z...) and most budget don't ( Samsung A ) but ALL phones got the Accelerometer.

You can exclude users without gyroscope from seeing your app in the playstore (would be necessary to prevent bad reviews) If i would release it someday i would definitely release 2 versions, one for the gyro-master-race and a second one for the accelerometer-only-users but forever marked as "beta". While Both builds would be completely identical, this separation would show me if my game sucks even for gyro users and i genuinely have no clue if it does because if you played your own game a hundred times you cannot go back to play it a "first time", stupid brain with it's memory and stuff...

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
    Gigiwoo and Billy4184 like this.
  25. Billy4184

Billy4184

I'll put an apk up tomorrow, definitely time to start testing the mobile aspect.
    • Control-wise it's very simple, I link the roll and yaw so the nose traces out a circle when you roll, it's quite intuitive I think once you get the hang. Starlancer had this (didn't have mouse controls).
    • The targeting is very performant, shouldn't be an issue. it's part of my radar package for the asset store (that was rejected for various easily fixable reasons on its first submission and will be re-submitted this week).
    • It's auto-lock based on the angle to the target, yes there are bleeps and blams galore there!
    Interesting that you're worried about the sfx, is it because the current ones aren't very good or do you just not like strong sfx in general? I haven't done a whole lot of work on the sfx yet (the mining ones are pretty much pulled from my 'experiment box') but sound is intended to be a core part of the player feedback loop so I'm very keen to hit the right balance with it.

In your game, I couldn't see any of the firing buttons or anything, but my phone screen is tiny (320 * 240 or something I think) so that might be the issue. For mobile I normally set the whole canvas to scale with a fixed height and variable width so that wider phones just have more margin on each side.

Yeah not sure about gyro as I've never really done anything with it. if this is one of your first games I'd aim for accelerometer so as to reach the widest audience and get the most feedback and recognition.

You can say that again! Every time I've gotten feedback on space game controls it's been quite unintuitive where for me it's perfectly straightforward.

26. Marrt

Marrt

Wow, that is unexpected, i'll have to run my build through that resolution tonight, thanks for pointing me into that direction, I guess my UI-Scaling isn't finished yet again *sigh*

Yeah, it is really a bummer that the gyroscope makes your game so exclusive. I mean the Accelerometer-mode is working pretty good (given what the raw values look like) but once you tried the gyro-controls you feel the insane difference in latency and accuracy, an example:
    My average scores for the Aiming Challenge (older version, the current one is way harder) depending on Input Type
    - ~4000 Desktop (mouse + keyboard)
    - ~3200 Gyroscope
    - ~1800 Accelerometer

For me the gyroscope controls are way better that stick aiming too (xbox360-controller) but i shun gamepad aiming generally, maybe a gamepad-professional could beat my gyro-scores with ease. But i still believe with all my heart that Games where you need fast and accurate 3D-rotational aim should not be played with a gamepad or by dragging your thumb across a touchscreen

27. Billy4184

Billy4184

@Marrt and anyone else who'd like to try, here's an .apk with joystick and accelerometer controls, just tap the top right button to switch between them

Also added deadfire missiles for your enjoyment, sorry for the crappy lowres explosion..

Feedback is greatly appreciated!

Screenshot.png

Marrt likes this.
  28. Marrt

Marrt

Tried it:
    - Good start
    - Thrust Slider is very thin, i almost never can set it instantly to what i intend
    - I am not used to flight-games, but is it common that you only control pitch and roll? i know it is more realistic, but i would rather control pitch and yaw with the left stick
    - Rockets! finally! :D
    - It lags a bit on my phone (tested it on the S4-Mini), but your metallic shaders look good

Billy4184 likes this.
  29. TonyLi

TonyLi

I like the additions of the warning and the slider. A mild (not annoying) sound would be helpful with the warning.

I think I can better describe the problem now:

1. From the player's initial rotation angle, I can only rotate right. After rotating right, I can rotate left back to the initial position but no further. So if the initial rotation is 0 degrees, I can't rotate left to negative degrees.

2. The sensitivity slider appears to limit the maximum angle that I can turn. If I set it all the way down, I can rotate maybe 25 degrees to the right. If I set it all the way up, I can rotate maybe 160 degrees. However, the slightest movement jumps me all the way to the maximum. So if the initial rotation is 0 degrees, the slightest movement immediately rotates me all the way to 160 degrees.

30. Marrt

Marrt

Thanks for giving me another chance. I have no idea how that behavior could arise. My Accelerometer mode functions this way:
    - I set a reference Vector when the game starts and whenever the user presses "PinHorizon"
    - Then i simply measure the angle between my smoothed and reference vector to get my deviation in degree

Code (CSharp):
    1. //usedVector is Input.acceleration after heavy filtering
    2. float accPitch    = 1.5F *-SignedV2Angle(new Vector2(usedVector.y,usedVector.z), new Vector2(accReferenceVector.y,accReferenceVector.z));
    3. float accYaw    = 1.5F * SignedV2Angle(new Vector2(usedVector.x,usedVector.z), new Vector2(accReferenceVector.x,accReferenceVector.z));
    Code (CSharp):
    3. public Camera accTestCam;
    4.     private float lastAccPitch    = 0F;
    5.     private float lastAccYaw    = 0F;
    7.     private Vector3 accelerationAVG        = Vector3.zero;
    8.     private Vector3 accReferenceVector    = Vector3.zero;
    12. //somewhere in an Update:
    13. //...
    15.            Vector3 rotRate = Vector3.zero;
    17.             //gyro look relative (uses rotationRateUnbiased and needs calibration)
    18.             if(!fallBackToAccelerometer){
    20.                 rotRate = gyro.rotationRateUnbiased -driftAVG;    //NOT framerate independent, gives roationRate per second as is now//    print(V3String(rotRate, true));
    21.                 if( Mathf.Abs( rotRate.y ) < 0.005F) {rotRate.y = 0F;}    //yaw
    22.                 if( Mathf.Abs( rotRate.x ) < 0.005F) {rotRate.x = 0F;}    //pitch
    23.                 rotRate *= Time.deltaTime *144F;//make it frameRate independent
    25.             //ACCELEROMETER fallback, accelerometer excels at absolute values but is slower and jittery
    26.             }else{
    27.             //    print(Input.accelerationEventCount);
    28.             //    print(Input.accelerationEvents[0].deltaTime);
    30.             //Version2
    31.                 float avgFac = Viewport.lowPassFactor/50F*25F;//0.08F; //0.03F;
    32.                 if(Viewport.lowPassFactor == 1F) { avgFac = 1F; }
    33.             //    print(avgFac +" , "+Viewport.lowPassFactor);
    35.             //    float avgFac = 0.08F;
    36.                 accelerationAVG += (Input.acceleration - accelerationAVG) * avgFac;
    38.                 Vector3 usedVector = accelerationAVG;
    40.                 //absolute values
    41.                 float accPitch    = 1.5F *-SignedV2Angle(new Vector2(usedVector.y,usedVector.z), new Vector2(accReferenceVector.y,accReferenceVector.z));//Math3d.AngleSigned(usedVector,accReferenceVector, Vector3.right); //Math3d.AngleVectorPlane(usedVector,Vector3.right) *Mathf.Rad2Deg;
    42.                 float accYaw    = 1.5F * SignedV2Angle(new Vector2(usedVector.x,usedVector.z), new Vector2(accReferenceVector.x,accReferenceVector.z));
    44.                 //convert into delta values
    45.                 rotRate.y = lastAccYaw        -accYaw    ;    //yaw
    46.                 rotRate.x = lastAccPitch    -accPitch;    //pitch
    48.                 lastAccYaw        = accYaw;
    49.                 lastAccPitch    = accPitch;
    51.             //    print(V3String(usedVector) +"\n"+ accPitch+"/"+accYaw);
    52.                 accTestCam.transform.rotation = Quaternion.Euler(accPitch,accYaw,0F);
    55.                 //Visualization
    56.                 Vector3 vis = accTestCam.transform.forward;
    57.                 Debug.DrawLine( Vector3.zero, vis *3F, Color.yellow, 0F, false);
    58.                 Debug.DrawLine( Vector3.zero, accReferenceVector *3F, Color.blue, 0F, false);
    59.                 Debug.DrawLine( Vector3.zero, accelerationAVG *3F, Color.white, 0F, false);
    62.                 //warning if the user holds the device not flat enough
    63.                 float deviceFlatness = Math3d.ProjectVectorOnPlane(Vector3.forward,accelerationAVG).magnitude;
    64.                 if(deviceFlatness > 0.7F){    AccelerationWarning.text = "ACCELEROMETER MODE\nHold device flatter";    AccelerationWarning.color = Color.red;        }
    65.                 else{                        AccelerationWarning.text = "ACCELEROMETER MODE";                        AccelerationWarning.color = Color.white;    }
    67.             }
    69.     private    float SignedV2Angle( Vector2 v1, Vector2 v2 ){
    70.         float sign            = Mathf.Sign(v1.x * v2.y - v1.y * v2.x);
    71.         float angle            = Vector2.Angle(v2, v1) *sign;
    72.         return angle;
    73.     }

What you describe would happen if you only get positive yaw values... at first i thought your gravity vector might be flipped, so i tried all swap-combinations (X-Y, X-Z, Y-Z) but i could not get that clamping behavior you described this way, i am completely clueless, i even tried it on a Samsung A3 (2016) which also has no gyroscope to begin with.

If you care to redownload:
    I just added some debug lines to accelerometer mode that show the current measurements
    upload_2017-1-5_0-3-51.png
    - AccPitch&Yaw should change with your pitch&yaw and should range from negative to positive values
    - The lower 2 are the filtered gravity vector (filtered by "look-filter"-silder) and the reference vector. There you can also see why i cannot measure yaw when the phone is held upright, the x and z values get too small

31. Billy4184

Billy4184

First of all, you do get quite a bit of yaw with the roll - if it was just roll you'd have to rotate 90 degrees anytime you wanted to shift the nose a tad to the side! I might add some more yaw and see if it improves.

I know other games out there use a lot of yaw and pitch, and sort of lerp the roll back to zero, but I'm keen to try to give people a more versatile dogfighting experience than that.

The lag is likely the asteroids, there's no LOD there at all, but I'll make sure I keep tabs on things that are using a lot of performance.

Thanks for testing!

32. yashpal

yashpal

I played it. it's works good for me. (with gyroscope mobile)

Only issue I get is game crash after some time.
    And calibration is wrong.

game says to put mobile on still surface. so i put it on table as shown in video. but it calibrate wrong.
    So I hold phone at 90 degree. than it's works good.

Game feels good. Shooting accurately is big problem for me at first time. because when I tap on shoot button. target is changed due to small change in gyroscope value. But I used to it and I can shoot with good accuracy now.

When I use gun's sights game slow down.

And I did't test local multiplayer.

Marrt likes this.
  33. yashpal

yashpal

(disclaimer : I never played games which have mining system in it. so i am no expert in it. )
    Mining system
    • Is it straightforward what you have to do? Yes I understand how to mining in 5 minutes. :)
    • Is it boring or fun? I think it depends how you want to implement in your game? ex:- no combat, just mining is little boring.
    • Good/bad sfx and vfx? Game looks great.
    • Is it annoying to have to pick up the chunks? No it's interesting to collect chunks.
    • Anything else you'd like to comment on! Yes following
    1) Why i need to change weapon for mining? you can just shoot bullets for mining also. ( so player can mining during combat also.)
    2) Mining is difficult when it small. so I have to shoot more accurately for mining.
    3) You can also make mining like combat. ex. you need to shoot astroids and astroid blast after some bullets. than you have to collect chunks of Ore".

Billy4184 likes this.
  34. Billy4184

Billy4184

Definitely when I tested the .apk I realized the mining was a bit more tedious than I would like and aiming was difficult. And on the small screen it's really annoying to try to focus on what's going on.

1), 3) I made the mining a separate weapon because I wanted to make mining feel more like its own specialty, separate from combat, and I kind of liked the whole 'blowtorch cutter' feel to it. There will be salvaging from wrecks, using the same mechanics, so it doesn't totally make sense to be simply shooting it.

2) Definitely. Something will change there for sure. Making manual accuracy the prime mechanic on a mobile screen doesn't seem like a good idea come to think of it!

Thanks very much for the feedback!

35. Billy4184

Billy4184

I played your game and left a feedback form on your site. It's quite fun, and it's got a good simple premise but plenty of opportunity to challenge the player. I think this has plenty of potential.

I think the most fun thing I can think of would be to have a couple of teams (AI or otherwise) shooting the ball from one end of the field to the other. If you were behind or near your own goal it would naturally get more difficult as the ball was closer to the opponents goal (ball smaller in view) which would help to self-balance.

Look forward to seeing this progress!

36. Marrt

Marrt

I don't understand, when you say calibration is wrong do you mean that there is still a drift after calibrating or that it won't calibrate because the game thought the device wasn't still? Then i only have to increase my "stillness detection threshold" a bit.
    Because calibration only measures how much your gyro drifts when your device is perfectly still it does not matter how the phone is rotated when it gets calibrated, only that it is still.

About the crash, what is your device name? maybe i should check memory usage, i did a lot of debugging string-Label stuff recently, maybe i got a memory buildup somewhere.

About your game, do you plan on multiplayer or just a straight puzzler? If Multiplayer you definitely need to increase Ball size, i guess you played Rocket League. If not, go crazy like Gigiwoo suggested

37. yashpal

yashpal

Thanks Billy4184, and Marrt.

I am also thinking about making different stages like future stage, ninja stage, etc. but want to start from small.
    Yes Marrt, I played Rocket League. it is fantastic. And I want to make Single player puzzle game first.
    But Later I will make demo for multiplayer like Gigiwoo & you suggested "Big football, More guns And Fast movement crazy stuff".

Marrt
    calibration wrong means character looks down after calibration. but once I pass the tutorial it works great no problem.
    I have Moto G 2ed generation.

38. Gigiwoo

Gigiwoo

Awesome FF! Happy New Year to our awesome community! And, see you on Jan 20th!
    Gigi

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.