Search Unity

[Feedback Friday #37] - Jan 8, 2016 (New Year's Game Jam!)

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by Gigiwoo, Jan 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gigiwoo

Gigiwoo

Can you repost a link to your game @GarBenjamin? I searched twice, and did not see your post it here.

Thanks,
    Gigi

2. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

Yeah, I wasn't going to throw it out here yet since it is still very early in development.

But there is probably enough in it to get a feel for what it will be about so here ya go:

FPS Action Adventure Version 0.2.4

Note: if you happen to find the appropriate item to upgrade your attributes... the only attribute that makes any difference at this time is Dexterity. Increasing it will increase your movement and turning speed. At some point I will do a Title screen and some instructions and so forth but that stuff can wait nearer to the end (version 1.0.0)

3. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

I wanted play the day of the broom but i couldnt open the archive

4. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

It's quite good. Maybe he can throw out a web player version.

5. neginfinity

neginfinity

You can open archive with 7zip. See http://www.7-zip.org/

Linux/MacOs has also several programs available that can open 7zip files. Usually those can be quickly found with google.

iamthwee likes this.
  6. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

I was watching this video and I thought you could add some traps to your maze.

GarBenjamin and AndrewGrayGames like this.
  7. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

Ha ha! That's great. They even have the bouncing walk in there. I just added that in the last version or one before it. Yeah traps are great. Except I'd have the traps telegraph a bit or otherwise be just a tad more obvious.

This actually looks pretty cool though and I don't remember ever playing this one before.

Wow! They did an awesome job. Based on the video, it has the feel of a mid to late 90s FPS. Definitely will be buying this.

Thanks for sharing this. I didn't know anyone was actually making games like this any more. If there are enough of them out there I probably can just can my game and play these instead. Just depends on what they have in them and how they are done.

Anyway, going to check it out now. :)

Ah never mind, it actually was released in 1996. Just saw that on the Steam page. Still I never played it before. Never even heard of it. Certainly explains why it seems like such an authentic mid to late 90s FPS. lol ;)

AndrewGrayGames likes this.
  8. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

Well that is a cool game. Very atmospheric. Lots of detail. People trying to make adventure / story games these days in Unity should play that game. Such a strong atmosphere.

Very different from what I am building though. This is basically a point-and-click adventure game with some action moments. So... I will keep on building my game. :)

AndrewGrayGames likes this.
  9. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

10. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

I should have checked there first. Already bought it on Steam for $10. Right after my reply to your video. I played it for about 30 minutes. Has an excellent atmosphere and some good little puzzles such as lighting the candles in the hallway. It's too much on the point-and-click adventure side for me but is a very well done game based on the bit I played.

What I am after is a bit of the feel of D&D in a way with a mage instead of guns. Some light interaction but not really a bunch of stuck here til this little puzzle is figured out. Advance. Stuck here until this puzzle figured out. More like a sort of cross between Catacombs Apocalypse & Heretic/Hexen yet different.

Aiursrage2k likes this.
  11. tedthebug

tedthebug

Like all those bits in skyrim where if you couldn't do it you could go away until you had the item, were stronger etc & then half e time you forget to go back until you stumble in it later & remember you were meant to do something.

Gigiwoo and GarBenjamin like this.
  12. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

Ladies and Gentlemen!
    The Silly New Years 2015-2016 Jam is nearly over! For three real-time weeks, people have put a week into game ideas, and put them up for literally everyone else to play. But, it's nearly over.

There's one last thing to do, though...

The Jam team has set up voting on various categories over on the GameJolt Jam itself. Voting will begin on Saturday 23 January, at 12:00AM Central Daylight Savings Time (GMT -6:00). Be sure to vote for your favorite games.

Those who are volunteering prizes - specifically @TonyLi, @tedthebug, @mgear, and @Schneider21 - you may want to start playing through the games if you have not, and determine which contestants meet your criterion for issuing prizes.

We're looking forward to seeing your votes!

Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
  13. iamthwee

iamthwee

For me it was a close call between neginfinity, garbenjamin and tedthebug.

I enjoyed playing tedthebug's game, it has a uniqueness about it although and I had fun collecting the coloured balls. I can appreciate the effort gone into neginfinity's game, all the way through animation and the GUI start screen. Overall, garbenjamin took my vote, especially the custom GUI he must have created from scratch and being his first foray into the world of 3D, which to me was a great first effort.

Not sure about the other games, rage2k looks the most polished did he make it from scratch in a month? but didn't get a chance to play it, and the castle game looks like it may have had a lot of help from an asset or so I recall.

Didn't get to see any chickens which was a disappointment, can you vote without having to sign up? looks like a bit of an inconvenience.

Hopefully, can take part in the next jam when I'm competent to compete at your levels.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
  14. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

Unfortunately, the Chicken game can't get in. I'm the Jam creator, but even though I used the correct hashtag in my game's description, it's not appearing. @tedthebug also helped with coordinating the event, and almost withdrew his on the same grounds, but I wouldn't let him. Sometimes, being a cat wearing Dwarven Armor has its advantages. ;)

One thing you might notice is that there is a category for each game that was entered (Best Use of Unicorns and/or Rainbows, Best Use of Explosions in a Kart Game, etc.) We wanted to make sure that everyone's game got recognition, in addition to the 'boring' ones like 'Best Game of Jam'.

I was going to hold the question of whether or not we want to do this again next year until after voting was over, but since it's brought up - do we want this to be an annual thing? This got way more interest than I was expecting, so it seems like something that the community is truly interested in.

15. iamthwee

iamthwee

I think annual is too long dude, monthly may be pressing it, perhaps every 2-3 months. Plus game jams prevents us from wasting days on the general forums, I never thought I'd see some of those contestants create any games given the amount of time they spent in the general forum section like me, and this is a good thing ;)

Gigiwoo likes this.
  16. TonyLi

TonyLi

Maybe in the next one you can create separate Game Jolt accounts for running the jam and submitting an entry.

Phoenix the Chicken would have been a good candidate for silliest, too. And I love the modeling you did, especially the chicken!

Ultimately Unicorns Eat Rainbows got my vote for the "silly" part of the theme. I also like the degree of challenge for its style of game, the simple controls, and the easy-to-grasp concept.

Day of the Broom is a close runner up in my mind for silliness, not only the cigarette-smoking janitor fighting with a broom, but also the completely random assortment of enemies. I enjoyed the Best Riding Implement for a Witch category -- gotta admit that a witch riding a unicorn or a battle kart would be pretty awesome -- but I went with the obvious. :)

I'm sure a witch would love to ride around in one of Argon's spaceships, too. Argon looks great (excellent job modeling the poly world), and the gameplay feels complete. Something about the note from the "warden" makes me feel like there's more to the story, something ominous.

I can see FPS Action Adventure turning into a full-blown RPG adventure game. The retro gameplay definitely nails the "something old" theme. (Although it made me realize how much I rely on strafing. ;)) Maybe you'll give us some enemies to kill, quests to complete, and an update on Feedback Friday some time.

Battle Karts got my vote for the Kryten 4000 Award for Most Mentally Unstable AI because the suicidal AI karts blow themselves up with mines almost as much as I did myself. The commentary is also great, as is the music and the nice login screen. You could turn this into a really fun complete game. Having used UnitZ in my own entry, I obviously have no issue with your use of Asset Store assets to jumpstart your project. If you were to extend that line of reasoning, one shouldn't even use Unity because of all the framework it provides. I'm just looking for fun game ideas, and Battle Karts is something I can see myself playing a few casual rounds of with some friends.

Thank you @Asvarduil and @tedthebug for organizing the jam! I had fun playing all the games!

17. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

I didn't start from scratch I took a page from Toni and used assets from the asset store. I personally think it's cooler if people can do it like a jam where you can use assets or Compo and do everything from scratch ala the ludum dare

Gigiwoo and AndrewGrayGames like this.
  18. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

That's definitely a good idea. I think I'll do that next time.

It was no problem. There was some medical drama in my household so I wasn't as active as I would have liked to been, both with writing my prototype and administering the Jam itself, but I think things went well enough. I'm surprised so many people were interested in this, to be honest! It was a good experience, all around - next time will be even better.

Gigiwoo likes this.
  19. Gigiwoo

Gigiwoo

Fantastic work all! Congrats to the winners. Look forward to the next one. And, that brings our new-year's, rocking FF + Game Game to a close. Feedback Friday #38 will be open Feb 5th!

Keep trying, improving, and repeating,
    Gigi

PS - FF #38 is here.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
    GarBenjamin likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.