Search Unity

[Feedback Friday #2] - October 24, 2014

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by Gigiwoo, Oct 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gigiwoo

Gigiwoo

Want design feedback for your new game? Then you've found the right thread! Post your game, and let us know which parts of the design need feedback. Discuss as much as you want until next Friday, when we'll lock the old and start anew.

How To Get Folks To Checkout Your Game?
    • Show - Be Interesting! Which means - pics, videos, or best of all, a playable game!
    • Be Concise - Who's got time for a wall of text? Be concise and interesting.
    • Be Specific - What do you need feedback on?
    • Read This - More great guidance is here in @superpig's post here.
    How To Give Good Feedback?
    • Be Positive - Offer at least one thing you like before ripping it to shreds ;).
    • Be Respectful - They want to improve, and they want your thoughts, as long as it's respectful.
    • Focus On The Work - Not the developer.
    • Be Specific - "Your game sucks!" is for nubs.
    Good luck!
    Gigi

GarBenjamin likes this.
  2. swyrazik

swyrazik

@Asvarduil
    1. The control interface for magic: I don't see why you would make the casting of spells more complex. At first I didn't really understand what the Summon Block icon meant, nor did I try to understand, but after I finished the quest I realized that I could drag and drop for previewing where the block will be placed, which is a nice feature. However, it can get confusing when you see the preview even if you're out of mana. If I see the preview, I assume that I can also cast it. Maybe making the color of the preview box red when out of mana would do the trick, letting the player know that releasing the mouse button won't spawn a block.
    2. The physics: I'd prefer the jumping to be a bit slower.
    3. The environment itself: I believe the amount of challenge is good for the early game.

Good luck with your game!

AndrewGrayGames likes this.
  3. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

Good calls. I didn't think about tinting the ghost object, that seems so obvious that I berate myself for not doing it when I first implemented that. I'll get started on that when I get home tonight!

4. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

Hmm well whats the difference between this and the WIP forum

5. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

This one is focused on the design aspect of a game. While people may say, 'Do [this thing] instead of what you're currently doing!' as feedback, the reasons will be for an improved experience, as opposed to specifically improving your art, or specifically writing better code (though, art and code implementations are used to achieve a better experience.)

There is a bit of overlap, though.

6. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

The W.I.P. is sort of a pre-alpha preview of things being worked on. They might not even be posting to get actionable feedback and instead just showing what they are working on. I kind of see it as an Announcement forum for us users. If they do request feedback about a game they will probably be getting feedback about graphics more than any deeper element.

Here we can focus on deeper things like graphics readability (not "the animation looks stiff" but "a heart may illustrate health rating better than a triangle"), play mechanics, play balancing and so forth

AndrewGrayGames likes this.
  7. Gigiwoo

Gigiwoo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.