Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback Friday #147 - January 8-11, 2021

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by Billy4184, Jan 8, 2021.

1. Billy4184

Billy4184

Hello everyone!

Have you ever wondered what your favorite games would feel like to play at the prototype level? I bet you'd be surprised at how close within your grasp it would be to do the same thing. Good game design isn't necessarily easy, but it's not a question of having lots of resources.

On that note, I'm going to link my favorite GDC talk of all time, which I have watched all the way through at least 3 or 4 times. I watched it again the other day when I started to feel like even clarifying my vision for my game was too slow and time-consuming.

One thing stuck out to me over everything else: the first time everyone at Bioware signed off on a Mass Effect 2 level, it was a design made on pen and paper.

That's all you need to design a game in a way that other people can see and understand and provide feedback on.

Of course, it's probably better to use basic geometry and simple scripts, but you get the idea!

If you're looking for free design feedback for your work in progress project, then you've found the right place! Feedback Friday runs from Friday to Monday every week.

What To Show
    • Minimally Viable Product (MVP) - Core game play > everything else
    • How To Scope Small (Unity tutorial)
    • Post a link to a playable game, preferably WebGL. If you don't have a playable game, post something substantial, not just text.
    How To Ask For Feedback
    • Be concise.
    • Specify what you want feedback on and what you don't.
    • Resist the urge to write an immediate defense. Take the time to understand their points. Remember that your friends here are taking time out of their busy schedules to help you for free.
    How To Give Feedback
    • Be positive. There's something of value in every game.
    • Focus on the design, not the designer.

Feedback Friday #146 is here.

Lime_x, Marrt, adamgolden and 2 others like this.