Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Feedback Friday #14] - Feb 20, 2015

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by Gigiwoo, Feb 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gigiwoo

Gigiwoo

Want design feedback for your new game? Then you've found the right thread! Post it here to see what others think. Discuss to your heart's content, until next Friday, when we'll lock the old and start anew.

How To Get Folks To Checkout Your Game?
    • Show - Be Interesting! Pics, videos, or best of all, a playable game!
    • Be Concise - Who's got time for Wall 'O Text? Less is more.
    • Read This - More great guidance in superpig's post.
    How To Give Good Feedback?
    • Be Positive - Finding a few redeeming qualities in the worst of games, is in itself a game.
    • Be Respectful - Whichever side you're on, play nice or don't play.
    • Focus On The Design - Not the designer.
    • Be Specific - "Your game sucks!" is for nubs.
    Good luck!
    Gigi

[PS - Feedback Friday #13 is here]

2. LaneFox

LaneFox

Sergeant Cody Windows Build 003

This is my 1GAM for Feb, the one goal was to experiment with adding lots of enemies, finding performance bottlenecks and finding ways to optimize features.

So far I've gone from having 30 zombies with ragdoll and active navmesh pathfinding at 50 - 60 fps...
    to..
    50 zombies with ragdoll and active navmesh at 60+ fps.

I'm aiming to get 75 enemies at 60 fps with more interesting patterns for them to spawn and make the town more fun to navigate. This will probably be something like making a second pool group for zombies that just spawn somewhere near where you are headed and will despawn-respawn closer to your heading while the first group simply seeks you from somewhere on the map. This would simply be to avoid allowing the player to just run away and never worry about the zombies catching him.

The controls are goals are simple. WASD/Mouse. Find the puppies and bring them back to the house.

GarBenjamin and AndrewGrayGames like this.
  3. LaneFox

LaneFox

This is pretty cool!

It reminds me a lot of FF7. Might be even cooler if you used the Curved World shader at the world map. The music is great retro stuff and the interactions are cool too. Nice systems there.

I know its rough, so I'll just comment that the battle system needs to be fleshed out more. Its hard to tell whats going on, not enough feedback from whats happening. I'm sure you've got this planned but I wanted to mention it anyway because it looks like you're aiming to add more content possibly before this got fleshed out more. Most helpful I think would be the progress bars of the enemies so you can tell when they're going to attack, as well as their Health.

AndrewGrayGames and Gigiwoo like this.
  4. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

I'm glad it reminds of a classic RPG. I love JRPGs. This game is an RPG. If it's giving the same vibes, my course is still good.

As far as feedback...oh, God, yes. Flytext, ability visual effects/sound effects...I've got my work cut out for me. I'm working on it (in part, there's a lot to build up in the game.)

Mechanically, though, I'm feeling good about it. I have only a few stats, but I can create moves that mess with them in very interesting ways. I'm only giving characters four abilities - I don't think that having to search through pages and pages of useless skills to find the one you want to use is good, and I don't like that most RPGs have like 25 different abilities for each character, of which only four are useful at the endgame. Maybe I'm crazy, but I would think, if only four abilities are useful at the endgame, why not just include means to get at the four useful abilities, and cut the rest? Doing it that way also means I have a fair excuse to speed up the battle system, so that it's more frenzied, but without losing strategic depth.

Mechanically, my vision is that by swapping out characters, you radically change the mechanics of how you fight battles; Sara/Davis/Wulfgar is very brute-force, where you pretty much have Sara spamming barriers on Wulfgar so that he can decimate stuff, with Davis using War Cry to speed up Sara and Wulfgar. Sara/Shaina/Veronica (I like to call them the Amazon brigade) is again different - for one thing, Shaina is my planned healing/pure-support character, so Sara will have to be constantly reinforcing her, but Veronica's schtick is that she's a customizable mage; she has no equipment upgrades at all, being the daughter of the Archmage of one of the nations, and thus already having top-grade stuff. However, you can freely modify her ability loadout in a Church (which is where you go to swap party members, and revive dead characters.) You could make Veronica a near-carbon-copy of Sara, or you could make her a magic-based version of Wulfgar, or whatever.

Put differently, my vision of the game is that if the quest is the basic unit of action in this game, the character is the basic unit of mechanics, and by swapping characters, you're fundamentally changing how you play the combat aspect of the game. Some situations are just not beatable with certain characters. There will be cases where even Sara will be something of a hindrance.

But, enough talking out of me, back to work.

That looks freaking awesome, bro. I love it.

5. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

Well i like the look of it but since its windows only i cant play it

6. Gigiwoo

Gigiwoo

And another week draws to a close! To spice things up, I'll post my own game for week #15.
    Gigi

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.