Search Unity

[Feedback Friday #12] - Feb 2, 2015

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by Gigiwoo, Feb 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gigiwoo

Gigiwoo

[#12 will stay open until Friday, Feb 13, 2015]

Want design feedback for your new game? Then you've found the right thread! Post it here to see what others think. Discuss to your heart's content, until next Friday, when we'll lock the old and start anew.

How To Get Folks To Checkout Your Game?
    • Show - Be Interesting! Pics, videos, or best of all, a playable game!
    • Be Concise - Who's got time for Wall 'O Text? Less is more.
    • Read This - More great guidance in superpig's post.
    How To Give Good Feedback?
    • Be Positive - Finding a few redeeming qualities in the worst of games, is in itself a game.
    • Be Respectful - Whichever side you're on, play nice or don't play.
    • Focus On The Design - Not the designer.
    • Be Specific - "Your game sucks!" is for nubs.
    Good luck!
    Gigi

[PS - Feedback Friday #11 is here]

2. HuckIt

HuckIt

Hey Unity community,

We're game developers and we just released our mobile ski game: Huck It, on Google Play. We were hoping we could get some feedback from the developer community. We set-out to make the most of Android devices and the APK is fairly large. Huck It is designed as a detailed virtual recreation of Utah's most rugged alpine ski resort, so it's very high-res and realistic. The gravity engine is realistic, this isn't SSX Tricky. It's more like real skiing.

Here's the link to Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mysticmedia.huckit

And our website: http://www.huckitthegame.com/

Here's our promo video:

Please download, and feel free to post feedback below.

Thanks!
    Huck It team

3. jonkuze

jonkuze

Hello Unity Community,

I am seeking some feedback for my upcoming title Heroes of Rune, a Free to Play, Browser-Based MOBA / RPG

Please check out the Alpha Gameplay Trailer below, and Signup by Replying to info@heroesofrune.com with the subject title: "Lets Play Heroes of Rune."

We Look forward to your feedback! When reviewing, please keep in mind it is an Alpha Build so many features (as listed below) may be missing, and or certain areas of the game may not be properly balanced and complete just yet. Thank you all who take the time to check out the game and provide feedback. - Kuroato

Critical Bug/s:
    Currently the most important Bug Alpha Testers should be aware of is the Browser Crash Bug. If the game is not closed properly, Unity Webplayer may crash the Web Browser. In the meantime while we work towards a solution, Alpha Testers are advised to Click Settings while in-Game, next click Exit Game, which will forward players to the Hero Select Screen. At this point we may close the Browser Tab that is running Heroes of Run Alpha Build for a successful log off, exit of the game without a Browser Crash.

Missing Features:
    - Complete Registration and Leadboard System
    - Settings such as Graphic Quality Options
    - Complete UI, HUD, Gameplay Notifications, and Indicators
    - In-Game Purchase Items, Virtual Currency
    - Additional Unlock-able Heroes and Skin Content
    - Enhanced Hero Skills with Unique Ability
    - Complete Balance of Heroes, Enemy AI, and Gameplay Modes
    - In-Game Shop to Purchase Items and Buffs

Last edited: Feb 3, 2015
  4. Billy4184

Billy4184

Hi everyone, just released a new game, Jumping Ball (original name I know). It involves bouncing from platform to platform, inflating and deflating the ball to change air resistance and speed.

It would be great if I could get some feedback on the gameplay mechanics as it is a simple game and needs nice, tight controls and the right pace. I'd also appreciate feedback on the overall layout and especially the sound effects, which are not my strong point and took me a while to make.

Here are a few screenshots:
    ScreenShotIntro.png screenshotBeginning2.png screenshot.png ScreenshotGameOver.png

The game is available here on Google Play. It's a small file, and free.

Cheers!

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  5. Heu

Heu

@Billy4184 I don't know If I just suck or what, but my best was only 4 (edit: I just got 10!). The gameplay is unique, I like it!

I feel like the pace of the game is too fast for my reaction time and for the time it takes to deflate/inflate the ball. Sometimes I will have only one column viewable on my screen and I have no idea where the next column will be, and once I finally see it, it's too late to deflate/inflate in time. There are also some times where I have to inflate and deflate almost instantly before hitting a column, so I can bounce short from long. Perhaps I'm just bad? :p

Interface and sound effects are minimal, so there's no problems there.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, now here's my project that I've been working on.

It's a simple 3D Platformer prototype, but the characters are 2D, and one aspect of the game I would really want some feedback/suggestions is about adding depth to the player. I feel like jumping and walking around with the character seems too wonky and you don't know exactly where you are at with the player. I've added a shadow, but it just doesn't seem to work very well. What do you guys think?

Webplayer
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/67760294/3dPlatformer/New folder (2).html

untitled.png

Billy4184 likes this.
  6. RockoDyne

RockoDyne

The issue is less the character and more the camera. It's basically the same issue paper mario games have (although the camera angle is better). Traversing the z axis with something that is just a point in that dimension isn't easy, but it's doable. The bigger issue is that a fixed camera means you don't have a good frame of reference, so you're stuck making jumps at weird angles without any reference to your actual position.

7. Billy4184

Billy4184

@Heu thanks for trying it out! I still usually only get 7 or 8 even though I've played it quite a bit...it is meant to be rather difficult but hopefully not in a boring way, let me know honestly if you think it was! It only took me a few days to make so I won't take it too hard :-D

I tried out you game and I have to disagree with RockoDyne, I thought the problem was the player in that not only is the player 2D and has very little detail which makes it hard to figure out depth but also is always facing the camera, making it look as if the face is part of an orthographic 2D game like Pacman while the rest is 3D.

My suggestion would be to use either a 3d model or a 2d sprite that is constructed from the camera angle that you've got. Crossy Road has a similar angle and uses a simple blocky 3d character, I think that would be the sort of thing to do.

Cheers

Edit: @Heu if you still have it on your phone, feel free to rate it whatever you think it's worth, thanks!

Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
  8. Billy4184

Billy4184

@Kuroato I checked out your gameplay trailer, I've never been too much for the cartoony look but I have to say it looks great! All the best :)

jonkuze likes this.
  9. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

The pushing platforms were too quick, I couldnt even beat the first level. Okay I finally got to the second level, I guess the depth is too hard to see from the camera -- maybe just make the platforms bigger. I got to the bridge but gave up since it started me back at the start of the level (maybe add checkpoints).

Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
  10. Heu

Heu

@RockoDyne @Billy4184 @Aiursrage2k
    Thanks guys I will put your tips into effect! I'm trying to adjust the camera to make it fit the perspective appropriately, and if that won't work I may want to transition the game to entirely 3D.

As for the pushing platforms/checkpoints. Thanks! I'll be sure to fix those up and add checkpoints!

11. RockoDyne

RockoDyne

If you want to play around with it, it might be interesting to mess around with perspectives/dimensions. Think like restricting movement to 2D, but you still control the plane of movement. Could be interesting if you really figure out how to make levels for the style.

12. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

Maybe something like fez.

13. RockoDyne

RockoDyne

Definitely in that vein. We need more clever 2D manipulation in this world.

14. Heu

Heu

Hmmm... You press Z to rotate the camera.

Okay I implemented a very rough (&simple) camera mechanic kinda like Fez. Think it's a solution to the depth problem?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/67760294/Test/Test.html

I think I'll want to add a design where if the player isn't viewable due to terrain, the terrain should be transparent. Idk, I don't like it honestly. Still tinkering around with the camera. Making the Camera Orthographic is very funky actually, making the game 2d/isometric, but doesn't solve the depth issue, makes it worse.

I also added shadows, think they help a bit?

15. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

I got to the flag no problem. I does make the game more playable when the cameras change angle although it does destroy the sense of pacing. I wonder if it should dynamically changes the angle depending on where you are.

16. Billy4184

Billy4184

Still don't like it the 2D aspect, I would make it all 3D. I had problems gauging the jumps getting to the far side.

17. Gigiwoo

Gigiwoo

Love seeing the new links and games. Look forward to checking them out.
    Gigi

18. Heu

Heu

Okay I think I got it now!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/67760294/3dPlatformer2/Test.html

Keep on walking onwards, you'll see once you reach after the circular obstable, the player rotates around the corner. Now obviously it isn't smoothed, but I plan to fix it of course. It's a rough idea right now.

What do you guys think?

Edit; Already found a small error, if you go to the corner at a certain Z-position, it won't turn all the way.

19. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

Seems alot better to me, now we are cooking with some gas. Though im still not sure about wether there should be a z-axis or if the player should be constrained to a 2d plane (or quadratic plane) with the bending of the axises occasionally.

20. Heu

Heu

Hmmm what do you mean by that? Do you mean that that camera should be able to rotate around the player?

Edit: Nvm I think I get now what you are saying after re-reading it :p

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
  21. jonkuze

jonkuze

Thank you! I think that's a good sign if one is not into cartoon-ish style game but still can attract attention to it.

If you want to check out the Alpha just Reply to info@heroesofrune.com with the subject title: "Lets Play Heroes of Rune."

Thanks again,

22. Gigiwoo

Gigiwoo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.