Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback Friday #114 - May 22-25, 2020

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by TonyLi, May 22, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TonyLi

TonyLi

It's Feedback Friday time! :)

Want free design feedback for your work in progress project?

Then you've found the right thread! Feedback Friday runs from Friday to Monday every week.

What To Show
    • Minimally Viable Product (MVP) - Core game play > everything else
    • How To Scope Small (Unity tutorial)
    • Post a link to a playable game, preferably WebGL. If you don't have a playable game, post something substantial, not just text.
    How To Ask For Feedback
    • Be concise.
    • Specify what you want feedback on and what you don't.
    • Resist the urge to write an immediate defense. Take the time to understand their points. Remember that your friends here are taking time out of their busy schedules to help you for free.
    How To Give Feedback
    • Be positive. There's something of value in every game.
    • Focus on the design, not the designer.

Feedback Friday #113 is here.

Socrates, Lime_x and ADNCG like this.
  2. jak6jak

jak6jak

I hope it isn't too late to post! Last week I asked for feedback on my first level (both for game and myself) and got a lot of great feedback. This week I took that feedback and redid the entire level. I hope this time people will be able enjoy the level more thoroughly this time since I took great care to make sure the difficulty was not too high so no one gets stuck.

I would like to know the following things:
    • How much of the level did you play?
    • Was the level design good?
    • Is the game fun?
    • Do you have any general tips or advice about the level?
    https://jacobedie.itch.io/swinging-man

TonyLi likes this.
  3. TonyLi

TonyLi

I didn't have too much time to play, but I really like the addition where you have to re-hook several times in mid-air:

upload_2020-5-25_9-9-35.png

4. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

@jak6jak good to see you back

i had more fun and little frustration this time around.

It felt about the right degree of challenge to me to be in the fun zone. In particular I enjoyed the corner one where you swing around sideways. Was nice to do something a little different and it felt cool.

I made it to here:
    upload_2020-5-25_14-15-54.png
    Which I assume is the end because I don't see anything to really.

Couple other notes:

Controller movement feels a little floaty to me. Is there acceleration on the movement?

Mouse movement - i had to turn it down to like 0.25%. Typically in most games I turn up almost all the way, just as a frame of reference.

Appreciate adding the toggle shot. Without that no way I'd play through the whole game. You might experiment with adding a "smart" shot which would consider if player is aiming at a shootable surface, and if so, automatically shoot rather than having to press twice to let go and then agian to shoot.

Having ability to reel in or out when you are hanging would be nice.

Sound effects, even really crude placeholder, will help a lot.

I mentioned I'd prefer third person, the reason is because i'd like to get a quick sense of what is above and below me without having to jerk screen around chaotically. I think kinesthetic awareness is important in game like this and first person view inhibits that for me. But, if you are set on FPS I think you can give us a lot of body awareness with sound effects and maybe screen effects as well. Some subtle sound and edge highlight to let us know when we are over platform or a shootable object is near.

Cool stuff, looking forward to more.

jak6jak likes this.
  5. TonyLi

TonyLi

We've reached the end of this Feedback Friday. Please post updated playables next Friday for more feedback.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.