Search Unity

1. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Ever participated in one our Game Jams? Want pointers on your project? Our Evangelists will be available on Friday to give feedback. Come share your games with us!
    Dismiss Notice

Unity Feedback Friday #112 - May 8-11, 2020

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by Billy4184, May 3, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Billy4184

Billy4184

G’day folks! Welcome to this special Game Jam themed Feedback Friday thread!

If you participated in Unity’s Your First Game Jam last Sunday, and you’d like to get some awesome feedback from your fellow Unity developers on what you’ve done so far and where you’d like to take your game, this Feedback Friday is for you!

No matter your level of expertise, or how much or little you’ve managed to do so far with your game, we’d like to welcome you to show off your work, help others out and join in the fun.

If you have a game that’s not related to the game jam, feel free to join in as usual! Put your game out there in front of people who can playtest and provide a variety of perspectives that will help you find what’s working, what’s not, and where to go from here.

What To Show
    • Minimally Viable Product (MVP) - Core game play > everything else
    • How To Scope Small (Unity tutorial)
    • Post a link to a playable game, preferably WebGL. If you don't have a playable game, post something substantial, not just text.
    How To Ask For Feedback
    • Be concise.
    • Specify what you want feedback on and what you don't.
    • Resist the urge to write an immediate defense. Take the time to understand their points. Remember that your friends here are taking time out of their busy schedules to help you for free.
    How To Give Feedback
    • Be positive. There's something of value in every game.
    • Focus on the design, not the designer.

Feedback Friday #111 is here.

Last edited: May 8, 2020
  2. unit_dev123

unit_dev123

Very informative video, many thanks unity!

AskCarol and Billy4184 like this.
  3. Billy4184

Billy4184

Let's see what you came up with everybody! :)

AskCarol likes this.
  4. unit_dev123

unit_dev123

Thank you billy, I'm working on something this weekend if possible. Did you make anything yourself?

AskCarol likes this.
  5. Billy4184

Billy4184

Not for this week, but I'll probably have some stuff to get feedback on over the next couple of months.

6. Dennys1

Dennys1

My game is still in development. Maybe in 3 weeks I’ll finish

7. unit_dev123

unit_dev123

Would love to see some space game here, looks really cool.

8. PolygonPros

PolygonPros

I have a game I'd be happy to get your feedback on:
    Blaster Force is a retro-ish sythwave lane shooter, where the player darts back and forth between 4 lanes, shooting wave after wave of enemy robots in the face with lasers! The longer the player can keep their kill-streak going, the more bonus points they'll get. But if they miss a shot, then the bonus points reset. If the player collides with an enemy, or the enemy sneaks past the player and walks off-screen, the game is over.

Download the latest version of the game here: https://polygonpros.itch.io/blaster-force-prototype

The "How To Play" instructions are also on that page.

This is a very early stage prototype, so I'm getting a feel for the basic gameplay and game vision, and testing what players like to guide my path from here. Lots more features and enemies are yet to be added. I have put a lot of time into visual polish even at this early stage, because it's fun, and because I feel this kind of proof-of-concept is a good way to gauge if a game is an idea that's worth finishing. Of course, there are also many visual elements that are obviously broken and need more work.

Feedback I'm looking for
    • Do you like the feel of the gameplay and controls? Is there enough fun in the current simplicity?
    • How do you feel about the challenge curve?
    • What do you think of the visual style? Anything you think should be changed or improved upon?
    • The game is intended to be a shoot-em-up / rhythm game hybrid. Even though it technically does not have rhythm mechanics at the moment, do you feel a (fun) rhythm while playing it?
    • Do you like the camera angle and depth, with the 4 lanes arranged from foreground to background?
    • Anything else you would like to see added to the game?
    More about the game here: https://connect.unity.com/p/blaster-force

Thank you so much for your valuable feedback!

AskCarol likes this.
  9. unit_dev123

unit_dev123

Looks really cool, i will try it later on today and provide feedback!

PolygonPros likes this.
  10. unit_dev123

unit_dev123

@PolygonPros

OK just played it.

Didn't particularly like the idea of opening unknown installer but I suppose it is same as opening unity exe.

1. Good intro nice graphics and music.
    2. Didn't really get the sinister laugh at beginning (actually I thought it might be a virus :D)
    3. Controls are simple but feel odd. Using left / right mouse click to change direction just feels weird.
    4. On xbox controller controls are backward. Joystick up goes down on screen, not sure if you tested this.
    5. Music is a bit repetitive, could use more spicing up.
    6. Graphics and animation feel nice.
    7. Ultimately dodge and shoot feels very one dimensional. Hoping there are more mechanics down the line.

Billy4184 and PolygonPros like this.
  11. TonyLi

TonyLi

Feel free to share a work-in-progress playable link this weekend if you want. The best time to get design feedback is before you're finished, so you can make changes as necessary.

Billy4184 likes this.
  12. Mike-Geig

Mike-Geig

Unity Technologies

Howdy, cool game! So let me try and provide some feedback
    • The simplicity seems good, but the ability to fire behind you seems like a waste since you can't move forward in order to ensure there is more space behind you to line up a shot. Also, the ability to traverse multiple lanes at once makes it easy to miss the lane you want to end up in.
    • The challenge needs some tweaking. In my opinion, the game is too easy until, all of a sudden, it is too hard. This seems to be due to the lack of any power ramp on your part. Once you fall behind, it is over for you.
    • I like the visual style a lot. I would consider bringing the camera up a bit more to make the lanes more apparent (or use some graphics to denote the lanes)
    • I didn't really feel any rhythym to it. I could move lanes quickly and shoot quickly and just "spam" until a boss appeared
    • See above for my comments on the camera and lanes
    • I would be interested in some power ramp for the player or some potential strategic options (like alternate firing modes). This could also be an interesting couch co-op game.
    Thanks for sharing!

Billy4184 and PolygonPros like this.
  13. Dennys1

Dennys1

Well, of course. When there is a weekend and the game is ready, I will definitely share it with everyone. After feedback, I will try to release my game in Steam and Epic games store :);)

14. unity_9jSLjkZBABearQ

unity_9jSLjkZBABearQ

I just found this thread, thought that it would be worth a shot!
    I've been working on my first full game for around 9 months, and I just started an open alpha 3 weeks ago on my website, planning on putting it on itch.io in a few more weeks and Steam early access after that.

The final game will be an online asymmetric multiplayer game, so imagine that you are playing against your friend.
    upload_2020-5-8_14-21-6.png

This is my first update after the early alpha release:
    http://sdggamecollective.com//wp-content/Survive/0.0.2.0/index.html

Feedback I'm looking for:
    • Concept and design - which game mode do you prefer and why? Does the overall concept feel unique?
    • Controls - Does it feel responsive, or do bad controls add unnecessary difficulty?
    • Are the core mechanics enough, or should I look into abilities, etc. (think League of Legends)?
    • Did you have fun in one or both of the game modes?
    • What feels broken or incomplete? I have a list of bugs, but I may have missed one!

Feedback I'm not looking for right now:
    • Art (there isn't much yet)
    • Sound (there is none right now)
    • Performance (it chugs a little, the next build should fix that)

(Please ignore my username, it should be SDGGames, but it hasn't updated yet...?)

Billy4184 likes this.
  15. PolygonPros

PolygonPros

@unit_dev123 Thank you very much for your feedback! I appreciate you taking the time to play Blaster Force and share your thoughts.

Didn't particularly like the idea of opening unknown installer but I suppose it is same as opening unity exe.
    This is my first time creating an installer. I wasn't sure if I should open it either when I got that first warning message. :D I'll have to look into how one gets Windows to see an "unknown" installer as a kosher "known" installer.

2. Didn't really get the sinister laugh at beginning (actually I thought it might be a virus :D)
    The laugh is part of the music track. I'm using that track as the first song that plays, simply because I like how the "Mission Accomplished" voice syncs pretty well to the timing of when the first boss gets destroyed. :cool:

3. Controls are simple but feel odd. Using left / right mouse click to change direction just feels weird.
    I agree, the mouse controls feel a little awkward. Using the keyboard controls to shoot is much smoother.

4. On xbox controller controls are backward. Joystick up goes down on screen, not sure if you tested this.
    No, I haven't tested gamepad controls yet. Thank you for pointing out this bug!

7. Ultimately dodge and shoot feels very one dimensional. Hoping there are more mechanics down the line.
    Yes, I have many more mechanics planned for the future, to add on top of the basic dodge and shoot. Mostly in the form of a variety of enemies that will behave and be defeated differently, and fun power-ups to give the player new abilities.

Thank you again!

Billy4184 likes this.
  16. PolygonPros

PolygonPros

Thank you for the awesome feedback, @Mike-Geig ! This is all very helpful.
    • The simplicity seems good, but the ability to fire behind you seems like a waste since you can't move forward in order to ensure there is more space behind you to line up a shot. Also, the ability to traverse multiple lanes at once makes it easy to miss the lane you want to end up in.
    When enemies will eventually spawn behind the player, I'll have them move slower, to give the player more time to see them coming. But I like the idea of the player being able to move forward and back a little (maybe grid-based like the lane-changing, or automatically move in the opposite direction when they change firing direction), I'll think about putting that in!
    About the traversing multiple lanes at once causing misses, another playtester said the same thing yesterday. I hadn't noticed it before, because I usually tap the keys to move, instead of holding them down. I could change the input so that movement only happens when the keys are pressed and does not continue when they're held down. This might also help reinforce the "rhythm" feel that I want to convey.

• The challenge needs some tweaking. In my opinion, the game is too easy until, all of a sudden, it is too hard. This seems to be due to the lack of any power ramp on your part. Once you fall behind, it is over for you.
    Agreed. I think when I add more power-ups to the game (besides just the bombs that are in there now), this will improve.

• I like the visual style a lot. I would consider bringing the camera up a bit more to make the lanes more apparent (or use some graphics to denote the lanes)
    I really like your idea of using graphics to denote the lanes!

• I didn't really feel any rhythym to it. I could move lanes quickly and shoot quickly and just "spam" until a boss appeared
    Yeah, the blaster spamming is a problem. The scoring bonuses are meant to motivate the player to be precise with their shots and not spam them. But if the player doesn't care about their score and just wants to survive, they can pretty much spam their shots forever and never die. I plan to implement an overheat/cooldown feature, that punishes the player by temporarily disabling their blaster if they spam too much.

• I would be interested in some power ramp for the player or some potential strategic options (like alternate firing modes).
    For sure, beyond this MVP gameplay I will add power-ups to give the player more power and more options, and that will help them defeat trickier enemies and bosses that will be added in the future.

• This could also be an interesting couch co-op game.
    YES! I definitely want to create a 2-player couch co-op mode. And possibly at some point, online co-op. I think it will be especially fun when the players decide to go "back-to-back" and fire in opposite directions against waves coming from both sides. :cool:
    Also, I think a split-screen "dueling" mode could be fun, for 2 players to see who can battle the same waves better.

Thank you again for your feedback and playing the game!

Billy4184 likes this.
  17. Billy4184

Billy4184

Hi, well done on your game, looks like a great start!

I wasn't able to install (the installer file wouldn't start for some reason) but I'll give as much feedback as I can based on the video. In future I highly recommend making a WebGL build for getting feedback, as it is very easy for people to click on and run right away.

I think the visual style is eye candy and on point.

Can't comment on the rhythm aspect as there is no sound! Perhaps add it to the video?

The gameplay looks solid and fun, but I think it could be improved with added mechanics that don't require additional controls. I would suggest things like mines, pits/traps, falling objects etc. Also powerups, portals, weapon and item pickups etc.

I'm not certain that the relatively large FOV and low camera placement is the best, as there is a lot of parallax and the visual aspect really changes in size as you switch between lanes. Correctly picking out the enemy lanes at a fast pace might get taxing. I would experiment with those aspects.

Also instead of firing backward, have you thought of doing a backflip to actually move backward and then being able to engage the enemy normally?

Hope that helps!

PolygonPros likes this.
  18. Billy4184

Billy4184

Hi, well done on your game so far! I like the core mechanic of the interplay between the light and obstacles, but I found it a little difficult to engage with the game.

I'm going to start off with two issues that I found really hindered my enjoyment, and then get to the gameplay.

Lack Of Objective
    Frankly I think you have not provided sufficient objective and reward for the game, even for something destined for multiplayer. At the moment, the reward for successfully ambushing an enemy in Fear The Light is minimal, and there is no sense of progression at all.
    In Bear The Light (which I preferred) moving your team around to avoid the enemies feels like correcting a doomed attack in a strategy game, which isn't very fun. If there was a target destination or a way to attack the enemies, I think it would feel much more focused and fun.

Hard To Read Visuals
    The player and enemies are extremely small dots. At first I didn't even know what the player was or where to look for it. I would suggest guiding the player's eye toward the important elements (player, enemies) a lot more to reduce the sense of disorientation.
    Also, the scale seems like it might be too large. It's hard to notice anything about the local environment in the context of the full map. You click to move the player a short distance, but the 20 doglegs they take to get there have little interest value, so the environment comes across as simply 'noisy' rather than having an interesting structure that compels strategy.

OK so here is my gameplay feedback:

Fear The Light
    I really enjoyed ambushing an enemy, and staying out of the light as I approach. This is a great core concept.

I'm not sure what to make of being able to pretty much move in any direction regardless of obstacles though, so engaging with the environment is basically nonexistent except for when you are approaching an enemy and thinking about obstacle/light dynamics. I think the player should clearly avoid walls when moving.

Also, the enemies move so fast I'm usually waiting for them to stop somewhere. Maybe they should move more slowly, and increase speed only when running away?

Bear The Light
    The premise of this level is fantastic, and having the dark areas completely black very suspenseful. I liked the idea of moving a team safely through a dangerous area (though this might not apply as much if it's multiplayer).

The biggest issue here though is lack of objective. It's just not fun knowing that you're just trying to hold out for some indeterminate period of time. I would love to see a door on one side of the map that's the objective.

Improvements/Suggestions
    - More structured and engaging environment design that restricts player movement.
    - Influence enemy movement (e.g. causing a visual/auditory disruption they come to investigate).
    - Different areas of the map might affect the gameplay (fog, water, open areas to cross etc)
    - Objectives

Hope this helps!

19. unity_9jSLjkZBABearQ

unity_9jSLjkZBABearQ

Oof, that mode is the opposite of Fear the Light, the Minotaur dies when he is lit for too long. He has a tendency to sneak up on you and die without you noticing, I'll definitely have to make the objectives more clear! (I'm thinking about giving the purple guys extra torches to leave behind so they can "take over" the maze a little more)

All in all, thanks for the feedback, though! I was hoping that the core concept was worthwhile, and it sounds like it is. Definitely some good stuff to think about, I'll be on the lookout for more opportunities to get feedback in the future!

Billy4184 likes this.
  20. unity_9jSLjkZBABearQ

unity_9jSLjkZBABearQ

I took a look at this one, I really enjoyed the visuals! (A good reminder that I could be better utilizing the Asset store more, myself!) I couldn't tell which assets you made and which ones you got off the store, they all worked well together.
    Here are my thoughts:

Do you like the feel of the gameplay and controls? Is there enough fun in the current simplicity?

• I liked how there were multiple control options. I defaulted to WASD, and it just worked. W shooting backwards worked just fine for me, though I can imagine right-clicking to shoot forward would be a little more strange.
    • One small complaint, I did collide with enemies quite a few times when I thought that they were out of a lane, but the hitbox was still there. I wouldn't be surprised if you say that they use a mesh collider and I DID hit them, but a little grace there may help ease the frustration I felt.
    How do you feel about the challenge curve?
    • I didn't really notice a curve, but I'll explain more on that below
    What do you think of the visual style? Anything you think should be changed or improved upon?
    • I liked it, no complaints there.
    The game is intended to be a shoot-em-up / rhythm game hybrid. Even though it technically does not have rhythm mechanics at the moment, do you feel a (fun) rhythm while playing it?
    • Fun, yes. Rhythm, not much, I think you could do a lot to help that if you synced the spawners to the music, and maybe spawned enemies in predictable patterns (like Guitar hero!) so I could learn to rely on my eyes less and my ears more over time. If events happened on beats, it would also make the rhythm a lot more important.
    • I didn't just spam shots, so I felt like I was always playing catch-up. The enemies spawning halfway into the screen wasn't my favorite mechanic, although it does help distinguish you from similar games, so take that one with a grain of salt...
    Do you like the camera angle and depth, with the 4 lanes arranged from foreground to background?

I would have liked a higher camera angle. And maybe some lane markings. The back lane is really far back. I continually found myself in the wrong lane. This was worse with the round guys that take multiple hits. The particle effect when the shot connects was so subtle that I didn't notice it so I changed lanes again and kept shooting. With the big one (boss?) I just assumed that he was a normal size guy in the first lane, and it took a few tries to actually get past him (he always spawned in the 2nd lane for me). It's pretty obvious in the video which lane is which, but it was different when I was behind the controls. As noted above, I never really felt the difficulty curve, most of my deaths were either due to me being in the wrong lane, or me running into someone who wasn't quite out of my lane. Overall, this is my biggest critique. I think you can definitely fix most of that with some tuning, though.

Anything else you would like to see added to the game?

• Minor nitpick: The app freezes when loading, and the titlebar actually says (Not Responding) in windowed mode. Maybe a coroutine or something would help it feel more responsive?
    • I have a superultrawide monitor, and it did work in fullscreen there, though there were black bars on the sides. But I'm not used to games supporting my monitor, so I can't complain too much. You did better than many AAA's :)
    Hope that helps! Overall, it's a fun concept, I'm just slightly too bad at playing shoot-em-up games to be able to fully get into a good rhythm with it. Anything you can do to put the emphasis on rhythm would help it jump genres from a straight shoot-em-up into the vision you shared.

(One idea: I used to love Pata-pawn as a kid, they did a good job of emphasizing rhythm by flashing the edges of the screen with the metronome's tick. Maybe connect the score multiplier to the beat, or make your character stronger on beat versus off beat? Synchronize that with the spawner, and you have something that I could get addicted to!)

PolygonPros and Billy4184 like this.
  21. PolygonPros

PolygonPros

Thank you for the feedback, Billy!
    Which installer did you have trouble with? The Windows or Mac version?
    I uploaded a new .zip file of the executable and related files, instead of an installer. "BlasterForce_011_Executable.zipx" on the itch.io page: https://polygonpros.itch.io/blaster-force-prototype

I have also uploaded a new video with sound:

22. TonyLi

TonyLi

@PolygonPros - The visual style is great. I really like the pulsing floor tiles and the equalizer bars in the background. Once you incorporate rhythm into the gameplay, it will really add a level of challenge to the game and maybe also solve the blaster spamming issue. I got a sense that the floor tiles' pulsing was at a different tempo than the music. It might be interesting if the floor also pulsed to the same beat.

As already mentioned, the perspective makes it a little difficult to see which lane the player and enemies are in. Have you considered rotating it 90 degrees so the player is facing forward (i.e., you see the player's back) and you shoot primarily up instead of right?

23. TonyLi

TonyLi

Hi! It's great that you're getting design feedback at this stage since the strength of your game is its unique design. I enjoyed hunting down the Minotaur more than trying to hold out as the Minotaur. The core mechanics are enough, especially once you introduce multiplayer. I'm really interested to see how multiplayer changes the game. You don't need to add abilities but, as Billy mentioned, variation in the environment would add strategy -- for example, fog that reduces torch range, wall sconces that can be lit for a short time when a hunter touches it with a torch, doors and traps, etc.

It would be nice if the AI-controlled Minotaur (or AI-controlled hunters, in the other mode) moved a little more naturally, with stops and starts, slowing down to look around corners, etc. I get the feeling that the primary focus will be multiplayer, but a lot of people play single player, too.

The controls felt perfectly natural to me. I wouldn't turn down joystick support, though. For shooters, I'm K+M all the way. But for other games I tend to prefer gamepads.

Great job! I really like the concept.

24. Billy4184

Billy4184

It was the Windows one. Anyway, I downloaded the executable and it runs fine!

First of all it's a very engaging game and just makes you want to play over and over. The aesthetic is very solid and together with the music has a sort of hypnotic quality.

The main issue right now is definitely lining up enemies. Right now what you have is the player having to switch their eyes left and right all the time to line up the player with an enemy, which gets taxing fast. I want to keep my eyes on the right and only keep the player in peripheral vision.

Have you thought of just lighting up the string of tiles in front of the player? It would enable very intuitive positioning, and also increase the feeling of interaction with the environment.

Second, the movement buttons make it very hard to control how far the player moves with a press. What I instinctively try to do is tap it repeatedly to switch one lane, but I often overshoot because I held it down a fraction too long. What about if when the player presses to move, they instantly move one tile, and then after a pause (e.g. 0.25 seconds) they can keep moving continuously?

One thing I would definitely like to see is more satisfying explosions and sound effects. Stuff that isn't loud and jarring enough to break the atmosphere but are have a fuller type of sound that goes for longer.

Well done and hope this helps!

PolygonPros likes this.
  25. Billy4184

Billy4184

Great point about the enemy movement! That's the sort of thing that makes an abstract game much more engaging and builds the fantasy.

26. PolygonPros

PolygonPros

@unity_9jSLjkZBABearQ Thank you for taking the time to play, and for providing your really great feedback!

• I took a look at this one, I really enjoyed the visuals! (A good reminder that I could be better utilizing the Asset store more, myself!) I couldn't tell which assets you made and which ones you got off the store, they all worked well together.
    Everything you see on screen is from the Asset Store, from different creators. I modified some of them, to make them all fit together. One of the inspirations for this project was that there were a bunch of assets from the store that I wanted an excuse to use. :)

• One small complaint, I did collide with enemies quite a few times when I thought that they were out of a lane, but the hitbox was still there. I wouldn't be surprised if you say that they use a mesh collider and I DID hit them, but a little grace there may help ease the frustration I felt.
    I'll look into that, maybe their collision boxes are wider than they need to be.

• Fun, yes. Rhythm, not much, I think you could do a lot to help that if you synced the spawners to the music, and maybe spawned enemies in predictable patterns (like Guitar hero!) so I could learn to rely on my eyes less and my ears more over time. If events happened on beats, it would also make the rhythm a lot more important.
    Good ideas! I am planning to add a "Rhythm Mode" that has the spawner synced to the music, and each song will naturally generate its own unique spawn pattern. The current game style will then be named "Wave Mode". For Rhythm Mode, I want players to be able to load their own music from their devices, and even create their own playlists to blast their way through.

• I would have liked a higher camera angle. And maybe some lane markings. The back lane is really far back. I continually found myself in the wrong lane.
    This seems to be a common theme among the feedback that I've been getting. I think lane markings may be the way to go, and I have a few ideas of how to handle that.

• This was worse with the round guys that take multiple hits. The particle effect when the shot connects was so subtle that I didn't notice it so I changed lanes again and kept shooting. With the big one (boss?) I just assumed that he was a normal size guy in the first lane, and it took a few tries to actually get past him (he always spawned in the 2nd lane for me). It's pretty obvious in the video which lane is which, but it was different when I was behind the controls.
    This is good information, thanks.

• Minor nitpick: The app freezes when loading, and the titlebar actually says (Not Responding) in windowed mode. Maybe a coroutine or something would help it feel more responsive?
    Yes, I've noticed this too. I'm not sure what's causing it, maybe it needs some kind of gradual loading instead of trying to load everything at once (there are a lot of large music files.) Either way, this is something I need to fix.

• I have a superultrawide monitor, and it did work in fullscreen there, though there were black bars on the sides. But I'm not used to games supporting my monitor, so I can't complain too much. You did better than many AAA's :)
    Glad you liked that! I have a wide monitor too, and the wide aspect ratio also works well for this particular camera angle and FOV.

• Hope that helps! Overall, it's a fun concept, I'm just slightly too bad at playing shoot-em-up games to be able to fully get into a good rhythm with it. Anything you can do to put the emphasis on rhythm would help it jump genres from a straight shoot-em-up into the vision you shared.
    • (One idea: I used to love Pata-pawn as a kid, they did a good job of emphasizing rhythm by flashing the edges of the screen with the metronome's tick. Maybe connect the score multiplier to the beat, or make your character stronger on beat versus off beat? Synchronize that with the spawner, and you have something that I could get addicted to!)
    Yes, this all helps a lot! I will find ways to put the emphasis more on rthythm, especially for the upcoming Rhythm Mode. I like the idea of more visual cues for the music beat, and making the blaster stronger when you're on beat (in Rhythm Mode) is an awesome idea.
    Lots of things to think about, thank you!

27. PolygonPros

PolygonPros

You are correct, the floor tiles' pulsing isn't connected to the music like the equalizer bars are, they pulse to the beat of their own drum... I'm sure it's possible to get the floor pulsing to be in sync with the equalizer bars, and that would look really cool, thank you for the idea. The two assets were made by two different creators, so I'll need to roll up my sleeves and tinker under the hood of those assets until I get something that works.

I really like the current camera angle and perspective, though it is clear that it is one of the biggest issues that playtesters are having with the game right now. Yes, I have considered rotating the camera, possibly changing it for certain waves. So, sometimes it would be side view, sometimes it would be behind the player, and sometimes it would be a 3/4 view. I'm sure the behind the player view would work, but I'm reluctant to completely give up the side view perspective and depth for a couple of reasons, including that I think it makes this game more original.

Thank you for playing and sharing your thoughts!

28. TonyLi

TonyLi

Fair enough. I hope you consider raising the camera angle a bit to better distinguish the lanes, and/or change their colors or some other indicator to make it clearer what lane the units are in.

PolygonPros likes this.
  29. PolygonPros

PolygonPros

@Billy4184 Thanks again, I really appreciate your input.

• The gameplay looks solid and fun, but I think it could be improved with added mechanics that don't require additional controls. I would suggest things like mines, pits/traps, falling objects etc. Also powerups, portals, weapon and item pickups etc.
    These are all really great ideas! I think portals could be especially fun.

• Also instead of firing backward, have you thought of doing a backflip to actually move backward and then being able to engage the enemy normally?
    I haven't thought of that, but I do think that some movement forward and backward along a lane could be fun.

• First of all it's a very engaging game and just makes you want to play over and over. The aesthetic is very solid and together with the music has a sort of hypnotic quality.
    That's awesome to hear! Those are exactly the two main things I'm trying to achieve with this game. I want Blaster Force to be a game that engages the player and pulls them in, but also allows them to chill out in a hypnotic way.

• The main issue right now is definitely lining up enemies. Right now what you have is the player having to switch their eyes left and right all the time to line up the player with an enemy, which gets taxing fast. I want to keep my eyes on the right and only keep the player in peripheral vision.
      Have you thought of just lighting up the string of tiles in front of the player? It would enable very intuitive positioning, and also increase the feeling of interaction with the environment.
    Having trouble recognizing the lanes/lining up enemies seems to be the most consistent feedback from playtesters right now. I like the suggestion from you and others to add visual indicators for the lanes. I've thought of two different ways to implement this:
    1) When enemies spawn, have them emit a particle "pulse" that moves along the ground of their lane. Constantly seeing all these pulses traveling each time an enemy is spawned should give the player a clear indication of where the lanes are, and could also give them an additional kind of head's-up of which lanes need attending to right now.
    2) Or, have the player constantly emitting their own particle pulse, forward along the lane they are currently in (similar to your idea of lighting up strings of tiles.) This would easily allow the player to see when they have an enemy lined up in their sights. This pulse could also sync to the beat of the music, for fun, and be a useful visual cue for the future Rhythm Mode.

• Second, the movement buttons make it very hard to control how far the player moves with a press. What I instinctively try to do is tap it repeatedly to switch one lane, but I often overshoot because I held it down a fraction too long. What about if when the player presses to move, they instantly move one tile, and then after a pause (e.g. 0.25 seconds) they can keep moving continuously?
    Based on your and others' feedback, what I plan to do is disable the continuous movement from holding down the movement keys/gamepad. So the player will only be able to move one lane at a time, per tap of the key/pad.

• Well done and hope this helps!
    This all helps a lot, thank you!

The main take-aways I'm getting from all this feedback are:
    • Players are having trouble telling which lane they are in/should be in, because of the camera angle and perspective, and because of the lack of enough visual cues to pinpoint the lanes.
    • The controls don't feel quite right yet. Particularly, moving across lanes needs to be more sticky.
    • The current gameplay is too simple. Players want more to do, and want to gain more power to keep up with the increasing difficulty.
    • Gameplay doesn't have rhythm matching the music. I'll need to find overt and subtle ways to work as much rhythm as I can into it.
    • Players really like the art direction, and feel it's a good fit for the game.
    • People seem to like the potential of a shoot-em-up/rhythm game hybrid.

Billy4184 likes this.
  30. PolygonPros

PolygonPros

Yes, I'm going to add some kind of particle pulse emitting from the player or the enemies, to make it clearer which lane the units are in. I'll see if that works first. Having the pulse sync to the music beat will be really fun, I think. Thank you for your help!

31. TonyLi

TonyLi

What if the squares only pulse in the player's current lane? Or, if you want to keep the other lanes animated, too, what if the current lane changes color?

Socrates and Billy4184 like this.
  32. PolygonPros

PolygonPros

Those are good ideas too. Not all the squares are currently centered along the lane locations, but I could play around with that.

33. TonyLi

TonyLi

That may be contributing to the difficulty identifying the lanes.

34. unity_9jSLjkZBABearQ

unity_9jSLjkZBABearQ

Thanks for the feedback! Some of the things you guys mentioned were on my roadmap already, but I hadn't considered changing the environment yet, and I love the idea of updating the movement to make them feel more alive! The AI is actually a LUA script that is loaded and run in realtime, with the inputs being buffered and applied after a small "reflex" delay (which I'm tuning to make an AI equivalent to a human as much as I can). I love the technical stuff, and I hope that a part of my audience might enjoy writing and sharing their own AIs. The pathfinding is separate, though, and I can probably look into working some stopping and slowing into that process. This week is a planning sprint, so I'll definitely be working the feedback into my roadmap!

TonyLi and PolygonPros like this.
  35. Dante20011

Dante20011

Hi! Is this still up to date? Can't find another unity friday jam. Here's my game! People seem to like it but can't pass the tutorial. Anyone has some pointers to help? Thanks in advance

https://dante2001.itch.io/mev

36. TonyLi

TonyLi

Hi @Dante20011 - This thread was for May 8-11. A new thread starts every Friday.

This Friday, please post your game in the new thread, and let us know what areas you want feedback on.

37. DashiellDidier

DashiellDidier

When there is a weekend and the game is ready, I will definitely share it with everyone. These are also good ideas.
    Thank you

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
unityunity