Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback Feedback for Scriptable Build Pipeline docs

Discussion in 'Asset Bundles' started by liortal, Mar 7, 2020.

1. liortal

liortal

First of all, not sure this post belongs here, but SBP doesn't have its own dedicated forum (i guess it was a "by product" of something else?)

As a CI process and build tools freak, i was super excited about this (not sure why i didn't get to try it out earlier). I would like to share my feedback about the docs after having read it all:

Preface
    First of all, i realize that this package provides a "newer' API for building asset bundles; actually the API is so similar that you could (for some cases) do a simple search & replace and you're done.

It could be great for the docs to actually describe new scenarios that were made possible due to this package (even in bullet points or at a high level).

The docs show "usage examples" but these are only a few basic examples and there's no focus on new scenarios that were enabled now with SBP.

Terminology
    This page describes 4 different things - Assets, Objects, Includes and references.
    To me, some are clear (assets, objects?) but an example of what these are could be great to be able to really understand what they are and how they're used.

CompatibilityBuildPipeline
    Why is this necessary? if i am replacing my implementation of BuildPipeline with something else, what's the point of providing this "middle ground" instead of going all the way?

Unity Cache Server
    This section in the docs is not clear - how should it be used together with SBP? which assets do i need to upload? when? etc. it could be helpful to add a proper usage example.

Class Reference
    The docs only mention a few basic usage examples, but the package contains more classes and APIs - it could be great to document those so that we're aware of the entire contents of this package.

I will be taking this package for a spin this week, might have some more feedback to share :)

Peter77 likes this.
  2. Neto_Kokku

Neto_Kokku

The combination of sparse documentation, no github repository, and the lack of samples beyond the most basic asset bundle case (which has no discernible advantages compared to the built-in pipeline) all made me very weary of using SBP, and I suspect I'm not alone, as everything indicates the package isn't battle tested enough.

The Addressables package does use it for building asset bundles, so those parts are now getting some stress testing, but the rest of the API seems largely uncharted territory. Even then, some posts in the Addressables forums make me reluctant to rely on it for building our bundles: we are building for Switch and it is paramount our bundles do not get changed unnecessarily to keep patch sizes down, and thus hitting a snag caused by insufficient battle testing is not a risk we can afford.

liortal likes this.
  3. nilsdr

nilsdr