Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback feedback for Memory Profiler 1.1, Details hierarchy in the right window

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by YMTIGER, Nov 28, 2023.

1. YMTIGER

YMTIGER

MemoryProfiler 1.1 is much easier to use than 0.7, but I would like the following to be fixed.

When you click on an object in the middle window,
    I would like the Details hierarchy in the right window to remain open from the beginning.

When I am investigating a leak, it is very difficult to use if it is closed. Please.

↓bad...
    bad.png

↓good!!
    good.png

2. MartinTilo

MartinTilo

Unity Technologies

Thanks for the feedback. I have some other fixes line up for the references, that deal more gracefully with cases where the amount of potential entries in that view explode beyond the current limit of 2000 (I have an artificial but not entirely unreasonable example of 4 trillion). Also, technically the tree View can store the expansion state per entry but there is no reasonable way to translate from the references entries of one object to the next. We could assume something like: if the firstor all top level entries are expanded, recursively expand all entries in the next one. But with lots of entries that would still be detrimental.

A quick check: are you aware of the key combo of holding down shift while clicking on the expand/collapse arrows to recursively expand/collapse? I know it's an editor wide thing but sometimes it goes unnoticed.

3. MartinTilo

MartinTilo

Unity Technologies

Also are you trying to check if they are all referenced by the same things?

4. YMTIGER

YMTIGER

Do you mean Alt+Click expansion instead of shift+Click?

I'll tell you why I have a problem with the click to expand act,
    Suppose there are 100 objects to be investigated in the middle window.
    First, click on the object in the middle window.
    In the right pane, click the plus button or Alt+Click.
    I have to move the mouse cursor back and forth between the middle and the right side 100 times after this. This is tedious.

The point is that we want to look at them one by one by pressing the ↓ key on the keyboard in the middle window.
    At that time, we need to be able to tell at a glance what class it is.

I understand the idea that it is potentially harmful because there may be too many entries.
    Is it possible to specify in the settings either the current behavior or how many levels should be automatically opened when an object is clicked? If you can do that, I would suggest it as an additional feature.

5. YMTIGER

YMTIGER

No. I simply want to know at a glance which selected object was used in which script.

6. MartinTilo

MartinTilo

Unity Technologies

Right, yes I meant Alt. Sorry I was answering from my phone and couldn't validate.

And yeah, that does make sense. I'll mull it over with our Designer.

YMTIGER likes this.