Search Unity

Feedback: Dark theme option withheld - "Pay $40 a month or we hurt your eyes"

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by theterrificjd, Jul 19, 2020.

1. theterrificjd

theterrificjd

$40 a month for dark theme is steep and makes no sense.

Anyone paying for the $40 a month doesn't care about dark theme being exclusive to them. Any of them who would care are not nice people.

Every other program on the market that I have worked in is dark themed usually by default, and/or, since it is such an easy option to implement, offer it free.

Saying you have to pay to get the 'easier-on-the-eyes' UI has the nasty implication that your default UI is intentionally being left 'harder-on-the-eyes' in order to try to incentivize people to pay $40 a month.

If you want to make money off a boolean toggle in your program, why not just sell it to me for a $5 one time purchase? I guarantee you people would buy it, and it would be less egregious than having such a widely demanded feature be exclusively for the $40 a month subscription. I'm sure they appreciate it, but I'm also sure it had zero impact on their decision to have that subscription.

Apologies for the rant, but this is sincere feedback. I know it's probably been covered before, but that decision makes no sense to me. When unity rebranded to the dark logo I thought for sure it would show up in the options or be the new default... Here's a friendly reminder that it should be on your to do list and would not take very long to accomplish.