Search Unity

Feedback and suggestion for Package manager

Discussion in 'Package Manager' started by rob8861, Jul 11, 2018.

1. rob8861

rob8861

I like the new changes and improvements made to the PM in 2018.2 but there is one thing I don't really get.
    You added a way to select a package version , either a preview or a verified. yet some packages which have a major release (meaning they do have a stable release) only show "preview" in the dropdown.
    what's the point of exposing them in the PM if all the available packages are "preview"?

for example, ProGrid current stable version is 2.5.x but if I try to install it from the PM. I only get 3.0.x preview packages, and no option to install the verified stable one. That mean I have to download it from the Asset Store.
    I think the PM should expose both stable and preview, unless the package does not have a stable version like many new stuff Unity introduced in 2018

2. DanielTG

DanielTG

Hi @rob8861

This is a case where we are still transitioning over to .unitypackage format to the new Package Manager system. In a case like this, we are still actively working to improving our testing (automation and manual) with the combination of packages before they can be marked as verified in the new system. The developers in this case decided to start clean with version 3.0.x in preview so you can still try the new features in ProGrid while still having the supported version remain at 2.5.x; even if they decided to move v 2.5.x to the new package format it would have likely remained in preview because of the new systems and potentially cause issues with the Asset Store package.

Hope this helps and please let us know if you have any more questions.

Thanks
    Daniel