Search Unity

1. We are looking for your feedback about Templates! Tell us about your experiences by taking our survey.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Curious about what's going to be in 2021.1? Have a look at the 2021.1 beta blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Want to see 2021.1b in action? Sign up for our 2021.1 Beta Webinar on February 25 for a live presentation and a Q&A session with guests from R&D.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback about the Package manager

Discussion in '2018.1 Beta' started by liortal, Feb 24, 2018.

1. liortal

liortal

Hi,

I'm playing around with latest beta (2018.1 beta 8). One of the interesting features s the package manager. I am not sure it should provide real value in this release already since it appears to be very limited but here is my feedback nevertheless:
    • No search functionality. Currently there's only a handful of available packages, but this will probably change in a second once this system goes live and is adopted.i guess the most obvious comparison is the NuGet window (extension manager) in VS.
    • Allow installing a package from a URL - currently there is only an option to list available packages (i guess hosted by Unity). It could be nice to host your own package (company related?) and install them by pointing to the package URL, or to the package server's address in general.
    • Switching between tabs always shows loading indicator for a few seconds. really annoying. not sure why also, i tried to see if it makes any networks calls (via Charles web proxy) but couldn't find anything. i suppose it's just parsing the project or the installed packages file ? why is it taking so long ?
    • Low number of package - is this expected? are you going to roll out new packages for different components soon? (e.g: Unet, UI system, etc)
    • No keyboard shortcut - the window has to be launched from the menu.
    • Postprocessing package - broken documentation link - leads to 404 page
    overall, i don't see how this is useful right now, but maybe that is the plan. when can we expect more updates for this system ?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
    Stormy102 and Enrico-Monese like this.
  2. Charles_Beauchemin

Charles_Beauchemin

Unity Technologies

Hi liortal! Thanks for your valuable feedback!
    Here are some info about your subjects of improvement:
    - Search functionality : This is on our roadmap. Like you mentioned, as the number of package will grow, this will become a key element in the UI.
    - URL package : This is also on our roadmap! (for real!) Our goal is to be able to take a github repository and simply put the URL there so that Package Manager will make a local copy and use it for your project.
    - Tab switching : Currently this is a synchronous operation but we already have some changes in progress to minimize the number of external calls and to make this dialog more 'snappy'.
    - Number of packages : We have currently around 70 packages in development inside Unity different teams. Some will land during 2018.2 and some a little bit later. This is going to get quite interesting!
    - Keyboard shortcut : Thanks for your suggestion, we'll look into it!
    - Postprocessing package doc : Yes, we are aware of the missing docs for this package as this one is still in 'beta' state and the documentation is still not available. We will update the version number and UI to clearly indicate the state of the package.

3. M_R

M_R

please support bitbucket too.
    ideally, arbitrary URLs should be allowed (e.g. from an internal server, or even "file://..." urls)

Charles_Beauchemin likes this.
  4. Florian-Nouviale

Florian-Nouviale

Hi !
    You are talking about using an url to install a package that's on your roadmap.
    Do you plan to also support custom package repositories ? (Like, we would have our own server with our internal packages with versioning, etc ...)

5. mr-phil

mr-phil

Unity Technologies

> Do you plan to also support custom package repositories?
    Yes that's the plan :)

6. Florian-Nouviale

Florian-Nouviale

unityunity