Search Unity

Feedback (0.16)

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by Scott-Michaud, May 5, 2018.

1. Scott-Michaud

Scott-Michaud

1. I am definitely a fan of streamlining the UX for side-by-side installations of Unity. Good job on this!
    2. Unity Hub is unable to uninstall versions of Unity that were not installed by the Hub.
      • If it is not possible, for one reason or another, to uninstall Unity builds that were installed outside of Unity Hub, then add a menu item saying why this install of Unity doesn't have an uninstall option.
        • My gut is to say make it a disabled menu item that said "Installed Outside of Hub" or something.
        • May want to play around with a non-disabled menu item that says "Cannot Uninstall with Unity Hub" and have a popup saying that it cannot remove versions of Unity that aren't managed by Unity Hub (or something).
      • Better solution is to just allow Unity Hub to uninstall any attached version of Unity.
    3. Unity Hub fails to launch. I tried rebooting, leaving it overnight, and even re-installing it. It either shows an empty screen when I click to sign in to my Unity account, or it doesn't even load the app at all. (It shows in my Task Manager, but doesn't spawn a window.)
      • I'm running Windows 10 April Update.
      • The day before it stopped showing up, Unity Hub also failed to recognize that I had a Plus account. It prompted me for a serial key, but wouldn't accept it. I can't remember the process to get it to recognize it, but it was something like signing out, restarting, then signing in... but there was an extra step as well that I can't remember. Sorry.
    4. This was mentioned elsewhere, but add an option to leave Unity Hub open in the background. Sometimes I want to pop into a version of Unity quickly to back out and go into another version. I was hoping Unity Hub would save the number of clicks required to do that, but it doesn't if I need to restart it every time.
    5. Download time was super slow a couple of days ago. Started off at ~7 megabit and slowly tailed off to 3, 2, 1, 0.5, ~0.1 megabit (as measured by Task Manager).
      • I get ~50MB/s (~400 megabit) through the standalone installer ("Download Assistant").
      • If it was just transient network problems on your end, then obviously disregard. If it was the app, however, then that should be fixed.
    Like the direction that the Unity Hub is headed in, however. Best of luck

Last edited: May 6, 2018
  2. BorisMongeau

BorisMongeau

Unity Technologies

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the feedback, let me answer you to your questions/comments:

- We don't uninstall located versions by design, we'll see what we can do for that.
    - Your blank screen: We have a bug on some windows machine with the license management that will be fixed in the next version (v0.17), it should be released very soon.
    - For keeping the Hub in the background it's a good idea, we'll see what we can do.
    - For the download problems you encountered, we are fixing the downloads right now to address a lot of problems. If you still see bandwith problems after the next release, please let me know.

I hope this cover it ;)