Search Unity

Fedora Linux Support

Discussion in 'Linux' started by harrywyt428, Feb 26, 2021.

1. harrywyt428

harrywyt428

I am currently looking into making a switch to Fedora Linux. However, I saw that Unity doesn't support Fedora (to say the least, only Ubuntu and CentOS are supported). Are there any plans to bring support for other Linux distributions, other than Ubuntu and CentOS?

2. MadWatch

MadWatch

Unity devs keep insisting they won't officially support anything else than Ubuntu LTS ad CentOS. I can't blame them.

But, from my experience, Unity works pretty well on a wide range of distributions. I had it work successfully on Mint, Manjaro and several Ubuntu spins. I never had to tweak anything to make it work, I installed the appimage and it just worked out of the box.

From what users have been saying on this forum, when there are issues it is usually because of the desktop environment and weird configurations (like when compositing is disabled). I had Unity working on Gnome3, Cinnamon and KDE without issue. It seems it also works fine with XFCE and MATE (as long as compositing is enabled).

I don't know about Fedora. But, as long as you're using Gnome3 or KDE (with X) then I assume you won't have any problem. If you give it a try please let us know how it went.

3. harrywyt428

harrywyt428

Thank you

4. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies