Search Unity

Fedora 22 and 5.3 - Any joy anyone

Discussion in 'Linux' started by ishanagi, Dec 21, 2015.

1. ishanagi

ishanagi

Hi,
    Has anyone managed to get 5.3 running on F22? I'm seeing the normal Recent Projects black window of death again. I've tried the usual fixes, ie the .local packages folder, clearing, recreating, clearing .config etc. The chrome-sandbox file had to be owned by root with 4755, which I was not entirely happy with, but ho-hum.

The last lines of the Editor.log in .config are:-

Error: execv(npm): No such file or directory
    (Filename: /home/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Platform/Linux/EditorUtility.cpp Line: 36)

ListPackages failed, output:
    Error: execv(npm): No such file or directory
    (Filename: /home/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Platform/Linux/EditorUtility.cpp Line: 36)

InstallEditorPackages failed, output: process_set_termination_details: error looking up process handle 0x10001

installJavascriptPackages failed
    (Filename: /home/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/Utilities/Argv.cpp Line: 168)

ATTENTION: default value of option force_s3tc_enable overridden by environment.
    [1221/104113:ERROR:gpu_process_transport_factory.cc(402)] Failed to establish GPU channel.
    Error loading file:///%2Fhome%2Fxxxxxxxxxxx%2F.local%2Fshare%2Funity3d%2FPackages%2Fnode_modules%2Funity-editor-home%2Fdist/index.html#/project/recent

(Filename: /home/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Platform/Interface/NativeWebViewWindow.cpp Line: 50)

Cheers,

Michael

2. Surly_Bird

Surly_Bird

I'm a version ahead of you using Fedora 23, ishanagi, but I wasn't having any luck with Unity 5.3, either, until I installed node.js. After I got node.js squared away, Unity 5.3 on Fedora 23 worked as expected.

Scroll down towards the bottom of this thread and see if there's anything that helps you.

ishanagi likes this.
  3. ishanagi

ishanagi

Brilliant, thank you Surly_Bird, dnf install npm and it is getting a lot further. Just need to install the proper nvidia drivers now as the Nouveau driver are lower than opengl 3.2. Not a Christmas Eve job though :-(

4. Surly_Bird

Surly_Bird

Great! Glad it helped you, ishanagi. Good luck with your nvidia driver installation - it's the single-most crucial thing to get right with Linux (and Red Hat-based distros, in particular) I've found. This article helped me out a lot with Fedora and, of course, the always awesome Dedoimedo guide to nvidia drivers on CentOS 7 helps if you ever swing to that RH distro.

5. ishanagi

ishanagi

Installed the Nvidia drivers using the guide you suggested. GDM wouldn't start and took a while to figure out Wayland was the issue and I have disabled it. GDM starts and more importantly, Unity 5.3 works, though I havent actually started to use it.

Surly_Bird, did you have to disable Wayland?

6. Surly_Bird

Surly_Bird

I didn't have to deliberately disable Wayland, but I also don't actually use it (that I know of). The one time I tried to log in with Gnome 3 using Wayland I got some weird authentication error that forced a reboot. I haven't tried it since.

Edit: If I read this correctly, it appears Wayland doesn't currently work with nvidia hardware/drivers and and X11 is the fallback. I may be reading that wrong, though.... and I'm not very knowledgeable about GDM and Wayland vs. X11. I'm still trying to wrap my head around this topic, to be honest. Still learning...

Last edited: Dec 26, 2015
  7. ishanagi

ishanagi

I'm still trying to get my head around it as well. I must have enabled it sometime in the past, just forgot.

The only thing not work now is the inbuilt MonoDevelop, so using an upgraded external version.