Search Unity

Feature suggestion: Dependency Management

Discussion in 'Package Manager' started by northy_179, May 7, 2018.

1. northy_179

northy_179

Would be good to see syntax added in scripts you can flag standard packages that need to be included. So when installing a new unity package it will be able to let you know dependencies are required and allow you to pull them in as well.

Currently, if a asset store package requires something like 'post processing stack' it will either include it in the package or include it in the install instructions. Neither is optimal. I also see this with 'standard assets' which I hope will also be included in the package manager in the future.

Also, some meta data to test the version of included package would also be great, so older packages can be supported better in other packages.

Looking forward to the extended support for all .unitypackage files :D will make management of internal frameworks a lot easier too.

2. DanielTG

DanielTG

Hi northy_179,

Thanks for the feedback. With the new Unity Package Manager format linking to other package dependencies is part of the publishing process. In 2018.1 you can see an example of this with the new Scriptable Render Pipeline templates or by installing one of the High-End or Lightweight SRP packages via the Package Manager UI which will pull in required dependencies. Current and upcoming preview (beta) updates of the Package Manager UI will better visualize the installed dependencies and notify of any potential conflicts when updating.

I hope this helps answer part of your request and I've noted the additional points to review with the team.
    Please keep the feedback coming.

Thanks
    Daniel

Ian094, optimise and northy_179 like this.
  3. optimise

optimise

Hi @DanielTG, I would like to see before I install a package I can know the dependency at here.

andrzej_cadp and scvnathan like this.
  4. erick_unity

erick_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi Optimise, clearly listing out a package's dependencies in the Package Manager UI is indeed a very important feature, and as Daniel mentioned above, it is on our roadmap.

BaalEvan likes this.
  5. snacktime

snacktime

Ya would love to see that hit soon. I cringe every time I upgrade stuff like the entities package because literally every update has added dll's I already have. And some conflicts aren't that easy to sort out, it's not like they just say hey this is the dll that is conflicting.