Search Unity

Feature requests to make modding with the Editor easier for players

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Crayz, Jul 16, 2020.

1. Crayz

Crayz

Hello, this is a continuation of my post here: https://forum.unity.com/threads/invitation-to-try-out-unity-safe-mode.925043/#post-6058505

I would love for the editor to be more accessible and fun for my players to mod and create maps, but it is too difficult to install and set up for the average player. To get set up with Unity and start modding for any game in particular is a somewhat difficult multi-step process that requires learning a bunch of stuff along the way, as well as dealing with gotchas here and there (i.e. Package Manager isn't always friendly) and probably also reaching out for support, because it's not a simple task.

Right now the best solution for a game that requires modding is to create their own modding tools. And that's unfortunate, because Unity Editor has everything you need right there.. if only it wasn't so difficult.

1. Download Unity Hub
    2. Create a Unity account
    3. Choose the right Unity version (did they get the wrong version?)
    4. Wait for the ~3gb download and slow installation
    5. Create a project (2d, 3d, modules?)
    6. Install custom package from Package Manager (do they have git installed?)
    7. Install ProBuilder from Package Manager
    8. Install LWRP or HDRP from Package Manager, if the game uses it
    9. Set up the LWRP or HDRP asset
    10. Learn how to mod the game

If the game stays up to date with its Unity version or packages, the user probably should too.

When I think of modding I think Valve's Hammer Editor. The steps to get started with Hammer:

1. Navigate to the game's install folder
    2. Double click Hammer
    3. Learn how to mod the game

Unity Editor is clearly more complex than Hammer. But I'm going to describe my dream "modder-friendly" editor:

1. Portable, doesn't require an account or Unity Hub
    2. Open and create projects from the context menu
    3. Install and update remote packages without git
    4. Modular. My modding tools don't have to compile games, it only has to build bundles for Windows x64
    5. Trimmed down for a fast download and install
    6. Able to ship with the game, including a project that is pre-configured with everything it needs.

I think I will continue to use the editor as my go-to for modding, but it puts a huge brick wall between the average player and creating mods, reducing overall engagement. I don't know what's all possible, but I do hope the editor can improve in some of these areas to become more usable. Maybe it can reduce the barrier for new game developers too.