Search Unity

[Feature request] - Update existing minor version

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by rob8861, Jul 12, 2018.

1. rob8861

rob8861

Currently the hub only allows you to install and uninstall Unity editor releases.

Since 2018.1 Unity has released 7 minor updates which were mostly bug fixes and improvements.

However, it is quite annoying to keep installing a completely fresh version of the editor every time a minor version is released. I usually like to keep my stuff up to date, therefore I am asking for an option to UPDATE an existing major version every time a minor is released.

okay, let me clarify the above words salad:

Let's say you have 2018.1.02f installed and Unity just released 2018.1.1f. Currently your only option is to download a fresh copy of 2018.1.1f and then uninstall 2018.1.02f.
    what I am asking instead is an option to UPDATE the existing installed editor from 2018.1.02f to 2018.1.1f without the need to download the whole thing from scratch. Of course if someone wants to have both copies back to back they should still be able to do that.

hope that make sense.

Pinguin985 likes this.
  2. EarMaster

EarMaster

This would be a great addition.

3. asperatology

asperatology

Unfortunately, Unity versions, regardless if major or minor, are all separate bundles. So you have to reinstall the bundles to get the latest versions.

I really wanted to be incorrect here.

4. afshinity

afshinity

Unity Technologies

Hi everyone,

Thank you for your feedback.
    As @asperatology mentioned, this cannot be done with the Unity today.
    There are some efforts like package manager to make this happens to some extents.

I will check with our editor team to see this feature is in their milestone or not.

Best,
    Afshin

5. rob8861

rob8861

That's very unfortunate. I really hope Unity engineers can figure something out.
    The Hub does make installing and uninstalling a lot better but there is always room for improvement.

afshinity likes this.