Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[FEATURE REQUEST] Unnecessary Inspector view and deselection when opening folders

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by luminator, Mar 25, 2022.

1. luminator

luminator

Simple feature to be requested to improve the UX, yet I noticed I waste time on this every time I work with Unity
    Screenshot_5.png

Whenever you click on a folder in the project tab, it opens this unnecesarry preview in the inspector and unselects currently selected gameobject, so if you search the project tab in search of a file to drag and drop onto what you had selected you have to find the file you are seeking and then again find the object you want to drag and drop to, select it, and finally drag and drop a file

This can be avoided by having the folder hierarchy open by the side like I have, but I personally use the folder hierarchy view almost solely for this reason: because when you click on folders there it doesnt open the empty preview in the inspector. So sometimes I forget about it and then again click on the folder on the right side and loose my current inspector view

I'm aware that this is probably because folders are file types that are part of the whole selecting-stuff system, but imho this one exception for this file type can be made because there's literally no info or anything in the inspector when folder is selected

Vryken and mgear like this.