Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback [Feature Request] Unity Hub: Auto-exit after opening project

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ChristopherCreates, Apr 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChristopherCreates

ChristopherCreates

Please, for the love of my sanity, give us an option to auto-exit Unity Hub after opening a project. Programs that want to run forever in my system tray drive me bonkers. The Hub is handy for managing multiple Unity installs, but once it has handed things over to Unity there's no reason it should still be running. Please at least give us a box to check for exit-on-open.

Thanks!

2. Murgilod

Murgilod

Lurking-Ninja likes this.
  3. QFSW

QFSW

I mean that's why it'd be an option. Not everyone will be using hub to manage multiple instances, or they could just reopen hub in the off chance they do need multiple instances. I for example would have it auto close on my laptop (secondary device). Leave it on by default but I agree with having the option

EpicCon and angrypenguin like this.
  4. Murgilod

Murgilod

Except it's not really an issue. You can just close the hub, which is a nothing action.

5. Ryiah

Ryiah

This. Windows 10 automatically hides icons that are not regularly interacted with.

Speaking of secondary devices, Unity Hub is not using an insignificant amount of memory. I haven't tried the beta release but the stable one is using 100 MB on my system. For a high end system that's not a problem, but it could be for a system with 8 GB or less that needs to run multiple apps.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
  6. It's next to nothing.
    memory.PNG

7. Ryiah

Ryiah

You have more than 8 GB. :p

8. Murgilod

Murgilod

Again, though, you can just close it.

This is not really a problem Unity needs to solve when you can just right click close the hub.

9. QFSW

QFSW

4GB RAM here, pretty much everything else has to go if I want Unity and an IDE to even somewhat function
    (Having said that, my main point was actually that I'd never have two instances of Unity running on this, so the proposed feature would be an added convenience)

10. QFSW

QFSW

Doesn't have to be an issue to be area for QoL improvements

angrypenguin likes this.
  11. Murgilod

Murgilod

A QoL improvement would be adding the much requested "let me delete a project without having to muck around in the file system" feature. This is such a niche thing that it feels almost unfair to call it QoL.

Lurking-Ninja likes this.
  12. ChristopherCreates

ChristopherCreates

Perhaps I should have explained further. The basis of my objection is that our computers belong to us, and we should get to decide what's using them and how. Yes, the Hub isn't eating a ton of resources, and yes I can just close it. My point is that I shouldn't have to.

Someone else leaving their programs laying around my computer is just rude. It's like the delivery guy brought me my package, but now he's sitting in my kitchen nibbling my crackers. Telling me that it's OK because he's not eating much does not address my concern with his presence.

I understand the existence of the Hub, and I can even understand defaulting to leaving it running. But I do not understand being forced to ask this guy to get out of my kitchen every single time I start Unity.

EpicCon, Kiefie and Socrates like this.
  13. You can choose to uninstall Unity if you don't like it. It is your decision, you take it or leave it. Especially that it's free for a very large group of people. So complaining about a right click/exit is just rude, childish and unfounded, in my opinion.

14. Ryiah

Ryiah

No. You explained it very well.

To be honest I completely agree that we should have control over our own computers, but we're far beyond the point we can do that in the majority of cases. We definitely can't do that with Windows or macOS. Choosing Linux can give us the illusion we're in control but the reality is in the vast majority of cases we just have a slightly bigger list of choices.

AcidArrow likes this.
  15. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

For me Hub closes after I start a project. Havent done anything for it to behave like that. Maybe it hides to tray, havent bother to check

16. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

You also don't need to use the Hub at all. Just launch Unity. I never have the Hub open on my work computer, I typically only work on two projects on it, and just have those two versions of unity on my dock.

angrypenguin likes this.
  17. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

If you close it, it logs you out and services like Collaborate no longer work though.

18. Murgilod

Murgilod

Then hide it.

19. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Sure. Was just pointing out that if you want to close it, it's not as simple as "just close it".

(also, I was hoping I was doing it wrong and someone would jump in and tell me "no, you idiot, it doesn't log you out if you x y z")

20. It's only an option pre-2019 though...

21. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Really? That is kinda lame.

22. Ryiah

Ryiah

Just tried opening Unity 2019.1 on my end by double-clicking the editor executable and it opened the Hub. :p

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
  23. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Ugh... 60mb is not "next to nothing". (Edit: People in @Lurking-Ninja's linked thread report far higher usage, too.) I know that when you have 16gig of RAM or more it's a small percentage, but I don't upgrade my computer hardware so that resources can be squandered. What is it doing that reasonably needs that much RAM? Isn't it basically just a menu system?

I also thought it was a nothing issue until I saw @Lurking-Ninja's link. Edit: Actually, I'm not sure... is that saying we need to use Hub, or not?

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
    Ryiah and AcidArrow like this.
  24. Billy4184

Billy4184

Must be getting ready to launch their own game store, and probably social media platform while they're at it ;)

25. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Ugh. It already feels like in some ways. I occasionally get a weird warning icon the collab button, it wants to connect to something or other. I wish pro (or any version) would allow you fully hide all the services crap.

Billy4184 likes this.
  26. Murgilod

Murgilod

Hub is probably the most useful thing Unity has added to the general workflow process, so I'm not terribly bothered by its existence. Nor am I bothered by it using 60-100mb because that isn't a lot, even if you don't upgrade frequently. If you're in a situation where a tenth of a gigabyte is a lot then I'm not even sure how you're building games without your system falling to its knees and weeping the minute you press build.

Hell, even the OP's complaint isn't so much about Hub itself, but the absolutely nonsense complaint of "someone else leaving their programs laying around [the] computer." Hub isn't Bonzi Buddy, but a part of the project management and licensing stack, both of which actually make a bit of sense to decouple from the editor, especially from a diagnostic process, especially if your computer is as memory limited as people here are claiming. Until maybe two weeks ago, I was doing all my dev on 8gb, so I get the memory limitation things, but none of the programs I stop running when I run the editor were the ones using less than 100mb.

Hub's big issues right now is that, despite all it adds, its actual project management still requires you to much around in the file system, or to open up the editor to do things like change project name details, etc, which would all be a major boon to Hub.

Billy4184 likes this.
  27. Billy4184

Billy4184

True, I haven't hit too many problems since I still work in 2017 mostly. That said, I agree with Murgilod that it's doesn't seem like a real issue in itself. The Unreal launcher is kind of cool, in that it's a window to a lot of cool stuff you can access from one place.

I'd much prefer a Unity hub than, let's say, strange emails from 'Unity Advisors'. There are certain ways to install yourself in your customers life in a way that works well for everybody.

28. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Memory limitation is not at all why I was complaining.

What's the point of making faster computers with more memory if we're just going to squander it doing the same old stuff in less efficient ways? It just pushes up requirements for no gain. Entire cinematic 3D video games used to commonly run on a small fraction of what is being used to display a relatively simple menu system.

I'm well aware that Hub isn't the only application that follows this trend, but that doesn't make it any better.

Ryiah likes this.
  29. Murgilod

Murgilod

What's the point in having more memory if you're not going to use it?

30. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Ack, you've got me! We should deliberately bloat everything we do to help our customers fill up their RAM, just in case they have any left unused. It's doing them a service. ;)

More seriously, what's the point of getting more RAM if you're just going to do the same old stuff with it, less efficiently?

And our RAM will get used. My point is that using it thoughtlessly is wasteful. If everything uses 5 (or whatever) times more memory than is needed then we'll run out sooner than we otherwise need to. Which means shorter hardware lifetimes all for the sake of... what..?

Electron definitely has its value, but in this case surely any lightweight cross-platform GUI system would have done the trick just as well.

Ryiah likes this.
  31. Murgilod

Murgilod

Except this isn't "the same old stuff" but an extension of the functionality of a piece of software. To call this "bloat" is a dramatic overstatement.

32. mgear

mgear

<slightlyrelatedspam>
    i'm using my own launcher,
    it has options to close launcher on project start (and bunch of other things, like show git branch, set commandline params per project, launch from explorer context menu, automatically collect unity versions etc..)
    https://github.com/unitycoder/UnityLauncher

** new version with more features and dark skin https://github.com/unitycoder/UnityLauncherPro

resource usage: (of course mine doesn't have all the features, its mainly for running multiple versions easily)
    upload_2019-4-26_9-51-51.png

</slightlyrelatedspam>

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
  33. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Are you telling me that you can't display a menu with less than 195mb (I just checked) of memory usage?

Ryiah, Casper-Chimp and Billy4184 like this.
  34. Murgilod

Murgilod

Mine's at 120 and also it does more than just "display a menu" but function as the update check, license handling system, cloud management system, and install manager? And even then, they say that they're working on memory usage.

35. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Are the underlying libraries for these things really so huge? I picked on the "display a menu" part because it's made in Electron, which has a whole HTML renderer built in. It just strikes me as a very heavy handed way to get a cross-platform GUI when the requirements are otherwise so light.

Ryiah, Casper-Chimp, JJJohan and 2 others like this.
  36. fabmania

fabmania

I have the exact opposit :
    I do not want Unity Hub to minimize when I open a project.
    Thank to this thread I noticed it was in the tray (useless place except to look at date/time and audio), but why do I have to click to reopen a window I never asked to close ?

MikeMnD likes this.
  37. Ziflin

Ziflin

Bump. I'm glad others are ok with leaving programs running that do nothing, but please consider adding an option to close Hub automatically!

Edit: And to be clear, updating to Unity Hub 2.4.0 is now wasting 250MB where as the previous version was at least only showing 110MB?

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
    skwsk8 likes this.
  38. Ryiah

Ryiah

Unfortunately Unity's hub is responsible for handling some of the online services for Unity's editor including licensing which makes it impossible to close the hub without likewise disabling the functionality in the editor.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
  39. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

That's not strictly true. The Hub contains the UI for license management, but the editor is able to still check whether you have one activated or not on its own. Launching a project with "Unity.exe -projectpath <path>" will open Unity without opening the Hub.

Ryiah likes this.
  40. Ziflin

Ziflin

@Ryiah As was mentioned, the hub is not needed, you can quit it as soon as the Editor window comes up and it kills the process. It would be really nice if they'd add the option to exit Hub after launching a project. The fact that it takes 250MB for what is a menu for most people (until they need to upgrade) is crazy.

@Tautvydas-Zilys Thanks for the info on the shortcut option, but sadly this still launches Unity Hub and leaves it running for no reason. Is this something that can be fixed. I see that "Unity.Licensing.Client.exe" is also running as well, so I don't get why Hub has to even start?

41. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Unity.Licensing.Client.exe is not related to the hub and it is used for license validation.

Actually the hub executable does start... I have no idea why. Could be a bug.

42. Ziflin

Ziflin

Ah, well it would be great if it was a bug that could be fixed. Right now the only "solution" is to uninstall Unity Hub. It's nice to use when doing upgrades, but for most of our testing, it just slows things down.

43. joeksy

joeksy

Unity Technologies

Hi @Ziflin,
    I just checked with 2020.20b2 of Editor, it looks like the -projectPath opens the Editor without the Hub works properly.
    May I ask which version of the Editor are you having trouble with? Please note that if the Hub opens and the project is not opening, it may also be the command line argument not passed correctly. One common mistake I personally make would be the missing double quotes " on the project path. (.\Unity.exe -projectPath "C:\User\project\myproject")

In general, I would like to note that by having Hub as a separate application, the Editor also got "the Hub size" lighter, as it no longer has the launcher integrated. This would be most beneficial for those using multiple Unity versions as Hub saves the duplicated launcher within the Unity Editor.

44. Ziflin

Ziflin

Hi @joeksy, I'm testing with Unity 2020.2.0b2.3094 on Windows, and I confirmed multiple times that using -projectPath does start Unity Hub and the tray icon will appear. At one point I noticed a version of Unity Hub running with a '-silent' option. After closing it from task manage, every time since then that I've tested, the Hub has started when using a projectPath shortcut from the desktop. Here's an example shortcut that I use:

"C:\Program Files\Unity\Hub\Editor\2020.2.0b2\Editor\Unity.exe" -projectpath "D:\Work\TestProject"

While I understand that it may have helped reduce the size of the Editor, there is no reason that the Hub needs to stay running after launching and consuming 250MB of ram for many of us. I could tell no difference in startup speed when restarting a project with it the HUB already loaded. It was also noticeably faster to load a project through a shortcut without Hub installed/being launched.

45. krasen007

krasen007

Hi,
    3 years later the option to exit Unity Hub is still not present, even after you close all projects :(

Jamiechi likes this.
  46. Murgilod

Murgilod

Three years later and you can still just right click the icon and close it.

zombiegorilla and Ryiah like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.