Search Unity

[Feature Request] Terrain holes, caves and overhangs!

Discussion in 'World Building' started by Deleted User, Dec 4, 2021.

?

Dynamic and voxel terrain support by default

1. YES!

95.8%
  2. no ..

4.2%
  1. Deleted User

Deleted User

Terrain Tools in the package manager is awesome! It has really advanced features.. the only thing that doesn't make it complete is, not having the ability to make complex landscapes from holes in the terrain, to caves and overhangs. I cannot do this without 3rd party assets like
    Please, Unity, this is a Great feature I and so many have been asking for for years, supporting it out-of-the-box would be a chef's kiss!

Thank you!​

2. Mauri

Mauri

Last edited: Dec 4, 2021
  3. Deleted User

Deleted User

Sure, I know about terrain holes already! And no, it's not better to model it yourself as it takes so much time to make such a simple/trivial thing, unless you want to make it that way yourself of course! I'm talking about a system like the asset I mentioned, a system that's built-in directly into Unity. Dynamic terrains and destructible at runtime IS the features I'm talking about, as well as it's easier and better to make tunnels, overhangs, caves and holes and dynamically texture them, it's much simpler and more convenient. Pardon me, but the "solution" you provided is useless, and it's not a real one to solve this at all.

Examples from what I'm talking about:

Unity Engine:

https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/terrain/digger-terrain-caves-overhangs-135178

Unreal Engine:

https://www.brushify.io/

M_R_M likes this.
  4. Mauri

Mauri

5. Deleted User

Deleted User

I didn't mean a specific example, I meant the general idea, come on!
    So, why not be the first to support it and advance in the competition? I see it as an advantage to go first!

6. Because they have more urgent problems to solve, more basic features to deliver.

7. Deleted User

Deleted User

No, it's the same team who is working with Terrain Tools package, nothing will be affected!