Search Unity

Feedback Feature request: taskbar jump lists

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Awarisu, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Awarisu

Awarisu

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
  2. Antypodish

Antypodish

3. Awarisu

Awarisu

Thank you, I fixed the link. I pinned the Hub to my taskbar as an experiment but didn't get a jump list from that either. This is just a shortcut so I don't need to open the Hub, then use it to run Unity itself and choose my project, then get rid of the hub. The expected workflow after this suggestion is implemented is right-clicking the pinned Unity -> select my project -> Unity opens with my project. The available list of projects can be filtered to match the pinned version if that's a requirement although in the case of VS they have a "version selector" executable that redirects to multiple potential VS versions. That's not required, but superior.

4. Ryiah

Ryiah

Stop trying to bypass the hub. While it can be annoying at times the hub is responsible for many of the editor's account-based requests meaning you will not be able to perform some tasks if you try to bypass it. You're just going to cause yourself grief down the road if you try to avoid using it.

angrypenguin and zombiegorilla like this.
  5. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Indeed. It is a losing battle. I don't care for the hub, I would prefer it wasn't a required part of the process, but I gave up fighting a while ago. It's here to stay, and not all that intrusive.

Though it should be noted, it does show a context list of projects when in the menu bar, but only when running. At least it does on Mac.
    upload_2020-1-13_14-11-33.png

Awarisu and angrypenguin like this.
  6. Antypodish

Antypodish

I can say, options are not present on win 7. Don't know about win 10, but I am skeptical.

Awarisu likes this.
  7. Awarisu

Awarisu

That's an implementation detail. The Hub can be the one dealing with jump lists and opening the correct editor for all I care (and this would nicely solve the problem with multiple editor versions). The UX is objectively worse than with jump lists, and Unity stands out in my development toolkit as the only one lacking this support. I submitted the feature request, it's completely fine if it never gets done, but let's not pretend that having to go through the hub's UI each time is somehow better.

8. Antypodish

Antypodish

In such case actually it is, as you can fine control, which Unity version opens which project version.
    If you had multiple project versions, with same, or similar name, via proposed little drop-down / popping menu, it would be esy to get confused.

While extra menu perhaps wouldn't hurt, in my opinion created problem is imaginary.
    I am not super found about Unity Hub, but it isn't actually that bad.

9. Ryiah

Ryiah

I never once said having to go through the hub is better. I said if it's the way the developers intend for you to use their tools then trying to bypass them will only lead to grief. I'd love for the hub to only be responsible for selecting which version of the editor is used for which project and very little else, but that's not the way the developers have been heading with it.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
  10. Awarisu

Awarisu

I can already bypass the Hub, today, by just opening the editor directly - it will load my last project. I didn't even need to take extra steps to make that happen - editor is open, pin it to the taskbar, reboot, click the icon that I pinned before. That works pretty well.

11. Ryiah

Ryiah

Yes. You can do a good number of things today, but just because you can do it doesn't mean it's the smart way to do it.

Correction. It works pretty well today. We've had tons of threads where someone was bypassing the editor just fine only for it to stop working one day and cause them tons of grief. That you haven't had it happen yet doesn't mean it won't. It just means you haven't had the exact criteria happen that triggers it. If you continue using Unity you will run into it.