Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

[Feature request] Some kind of settings for RTGI/RTR to have no light in fully enclosed spaces.

Discussion in 'HDRP Ray Tracing' started by Lex4art, Nov 21, 2021.

1. Lex4art

Lex4art

New features ("Ray Miss" and "Last bounce" ) in RTGI/RTR volume settings are good addition, but I can't solve old problem "objects glowing inside totally dark room" with those for some reason... Here is example of a scene with two fully enclosed spaces - one made with purely diffuse material (RTGI only) and one with fully reflective surfaces (RTR only), "Ray Miss" = Sky, "Last bounce" = none, both for GI and reflections:
    No light - scene setup.jpg

Let's visit diffuse box - no light should be inside but its glowing:
    No light - diffuse room.jpg

Let's disable fog and visit reflections room - all ok here, no lighting as expected:
    No light - mirror room [no fog].jpg

But all my maps need fog to be enabled, and with it this reflective room looks like this:
    No light - mirror room [with fog].jpg

I've reported this as bug (Case 1382644) - it contains all my settings & scene from screenshots there to check (is this a bug or missing feature or I missing something BIG myself? Reducing auto exposure range reduces this unexpected lighting but not solving this problem. Please halp ).

Last edited: Nov 22, 2021
  2. auzaiffe

auzaiffe

Unity Technologies

Can you please post a screenshot of your fog volume. If i understand correctly this has nothing to do with ray tracing, but more about fog.

3. Lex4art

Lex4art

Here they are:
    Fog setup.jpg

4. auzaiffe

auzaiffe

Unity Technologies

Ambient probe dimmer fo the fog volume to 0 otherwise it will be leaking inside

Lex4art likes this.
  5. Lex4art

Lex4art

Nope, not helping much - something changes a bit but mostly it's the same glowing in the dark...

6. auzaiffe

auzaiffe

Unity Technologies

Then it's the fog itself that generates the problem and that hasn't much to do with ray tracing. Just to make sure do you get the same problem without ray tracing?