Search Unity

1. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback Feature Request: Smaller Downloads For Patch Releases

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by Tanner555, Aug 13, 2020.

1. Tanner555

Tanner555

One thing I don't like about the Unity Hub is every time I want to install the latest patch for the latest Unity Version (updating from 2020.1.1 to 2020.1.2), I have to re-download the entire editor and all the modules. This creates a bunch of unnecessary editors on my hard drive that I need to uninstall. Unreal Engine 4 makes it easy to update the latest version of the editor. There's only one directory for UE4 for every release, with the latest one being "UE_4.25". Unity creates a new directory every time I install a new patch release, my current version is "2020.1.2f1".

The download process is even more time consuming when you need to install several platform modules, such as mobile and web devices.

I'd like Unity to offer smaller downloads for patch releases in the Unity Hub.

Unity is starting to integrate more features into Core Unity, which means every time we want the latest update and bug fixes, we'll have to redownload the entire Editor. This can be completely alleviated by having smaller patch downloads in the Unity Hub. I really like the idea of integrating core packages into Unity, but also like having smaller downloads/installs.

broersma likes this.
unityunity