Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback Feature Request: Side Scroll in Hierachry

Discussion in 'Editor Workflows' started by renman3000, Nov 12, 2019.

1. renman3000

renman3000

Hi there,
    I have a high number of children, children's children children in my hierarchy and with out the side scroll in this panel, editing is a b-atch.

Any help?

Thanks

2. M_R

M_R

do you actually need a hierarchy that deep? it hurts performance...

you can try to (ab)use nested prefabs to only display part of that hierarchy

3. renman3000

renman3000

Hi, so let me describe my situation.....
    I have a race game where I make my course (level), via simply placing an array of CourseSections into the scene. My CourseMng, takes this array and at run time, will snap them together (via ascending order of array and that each CourseSection has a variable (Transform anchor & Transform latch).

In assembling the course, the current CourseSection unit has its anchor parented to the previous units latch..... this continues through the assembly, and thus the deep parenting.

Once assembled I could unparent each so there is no deep parenting. However, what is this (ab)use nested, you mentioned?

Thanks

4. M_R

M_R

I assumed you had that hierarchy at authoring time. if that would the case, you could have make a prefab every few anchors, so you could open in isolation mode whatever you need to edit and only have the relevant hierarchy displayed.

if you are doing it procedurally and the stuff is static, definitely avoid parenting. processing a single transform is O(depth), and also Unity will only parallelize different roots