Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Feature Request: Separate snapshot storage path per project

Discussion in 'Profiler Previews' started by QAG_Alex, Sep 9, 2020.

1. QAG_Alex

QAG_Alex

I work on many client projects at once and the memory profiler has been very crucial to getting many of them running on all platforms, so thank you for such a useful tool!

I prefer to set the snapshot storage path to folder outside of the source control folder so I don't have to worry about it getting nuked when switching branches. However folder hierarchies are often different in projects, so I'm constantly changing this value as I jump between projects. An option to set this per project (rather than globally) would be greatly appreciated!

2. MartinTilo

MartinTilo

Unity Technologies

Thank you for the feedback and I'm glad to hear that the tool is useful to you :)

We went with relative paths initially because it allowed the possibility of setting the path outside of version control and still have a path that is somewhat relative to the project, depending on the folder structure. In hindsight, it's a fair point that this is basically a kind of hacky way to go about this, that you wouldn't want to have to set up your project folder structures to facilitate the memory profiler settings and that it would fall apart if you have limited control over the folder structure of all the projects one could work on...

The sad part is that there is currently not really a concept of "Per-Project-Per-Machine" preferences in Unity besides the Layout file (which tends to get nuked every so often and would be a kind of hack to be used in this case). I'll re-raise this shortcoming again and have added the feedback to the Profiler Team's feedback tracker but due to this constraint I sadly can't promise a quick turn around on this one, as valid as it is :(

3. QAG_Alex

QAG_Alex

Thanks for the quick and transparent reply!

I wouldn't mind there being a settings asset that lives in the project (that could be ignored by source control). It would result in a similar problem now, but accidentally deleting the setting asset is less of an issue than deleting weeks of profiling data :)

If that's not an option, just having a button in the memory profiler to quickly set the path (similar to the native profiler load/save buttons) would be a time saver!

Cheers!

MartinTilo likes this.
  4. MartinTilo

MartinTilo

Unity Technologies

You're welcome and thanks for adding the additional input, I captured that in our feedback tracker as well :)

QAG_Alex likes this.