Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback [Feature Request] Scale on two axes at the same time.

Discussion in '2022.1 Beta' started by Deleted User, Sep 9, 2021.

?

Would you like this feature to be implemented?

Poll closed Sep 26, 2021.
  1. Yes

86.5%
  2. No

13.5%
  1. Deleted User

Deleted User

Dear Unity,

Since Unity Engine ever came out in 2005, it Never had an option to scale on two axes at the same time, and it's still the case today.. Why is Unity The ONLY 3D package out there that doesn't have such a critical feature out-of-the-box?! Unreal Engine has it, Blender has it, CryEngine has it, Maya has it, and so many others! I can see So Many use cases for it, especially when prototyping and world building.. and with ProBuilder it would be top-notch.

There are times when I would like to scale on two axes and not the third.. and I just can't..

This feature has been requested as early as in 2015, maybe even earlier.. here's the thread:

https://forum.unity.com/threads/how...time-like-how-unreal-engine-4-does-it.342633/

Please, put this critical feature on your roadmap to 2022.1.. it's a must-have and must come true!

Thanks!

2. andreyefimov2010

andreyefimov2010

Deleted User likes this.
  3. richardkettlewell

richardkettlewell

Unity Technologies

Thanks for the feedback! We recently added the ability to lock all 3 scale axes. Ive reached out to the team who did that work to assess adding a way to lock 2 axes too!

4. Deleted User

Deleted User

Good move, as this feature should be prioritized as much as possible!

Note, however, if two-axes feature is implemented, it's Better and more convenient to have it as a shape of scale gizmos than have it to be locked in the inspector(like how blender does it with gizmos).

You're most welcome! :)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2021
  5. mahdi_jeddi

mahdi_jeddi

The better option would be the scale gizmo to have extra edges for XY XZ and YZ scaling like in move gizmo or in many other 3D tools: 1.png

JoNax97 and andreyefimov2010 like this.
  6. Thaina

Thaina

I would prefer maya style scaling. use ctrl key modifier and scale one leg will instead scale other two dimension

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  7. Deleted User

Deleted User

Or you could have it like this:

Screenshot 2021-09-14 140303.png

I think this Blender-Maya style of scaling is much better imo; Sure, it's a matter of preference anyways..

8. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

It's already there in the frame manipulator: press "t".

9. andreyefimov2010

andreyefimov2010

@laurentlavigne that actually kinda works, but that's one of the most un-intuitive pieces of functionality I've ever seen to the point one could argue it's not even a workaround for the proper two-axis scaling which should be far more streamlined considering how fundamental it is to the workflow.

apkdev and Deleted User like this.
  10. apkdev

apkdev

Yeah, the rect tool also doesn't work without a mesh filter, so good luck scaling colliders, custom scripts that rely on gameobject scale, etc.

11. Deleted User

Deleted User

I'm locking the poll.. it seems that the Vast Majority Wants this feature implemented, Unity!

We hope to see this feature being pushed to 2022 lifecycle..

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2021
    Lars-Steenhoff likes this.