Search Unity

Feature request: .RPM package format

Discussion in 'Linux' started by gordon-alexander-macpherson, Sep 29, 2016.

?

Would you benefit from .RPM being supported (provided you use a Linux distro)

1. Yes

42.9%
  2. No

57.1%
  1. gordon-alexander-macpherson

gordon-alexander-macpherson

Good afternoon,

I currently run on Fedora 24, could you please make a deployment in the future for the .rpm package format.

I know package converters exist, it's just I don't know how well they're supported. Additionally I like being able to use YUM to see what packages are being added to my system before any changes are made.

I'm sure though that many other requests will be made to support various other distro's, as far as I'm aware .deb and .rpm are the more popular formats.

Additionally, I'm aware your .sh program exists for installation on non-ubuntu machine, i really don't like using shell scripts, it feels/is safer to be using proper package formats.

Thank you,

Regards,
    Gordon

2. Tak

Tak

This is probably not going to happen - instead, we'll eventually migrate to a standalone installer like other platforms.

mosaic_school likes this.
  3. Deleted User

Deleted User

Well, a .deb/.rpm package it's not more safe than using the .sh provided.
    In all cases you don't have control in what that package will do in your system, you have to trust on the person who make that package.

The best solution for support multiple distros and safety is use something like appimage/snap.

4. AurimasBlazulionis

AurimasBlazulionis

No, just not. Sh format is very simple, it just extracts files to specific location set by you and that is it. They have already said that only Ubuntu is official. Other options will be considered in future like: snappy or standalone installer.

5. gordon-alexander-macpherson

gordon-alexander-macpherson

Appreciate the info guys!

I can't wait to try out pro on Linux, might be able to finally get away from the windows platform.