Search Unity

Feature Request: Retain imported asset data when switching platform

Discussion in 'Addressables' started by optimise, Jul 17, 2018.

1. optimise

optimise

When you try to build asset bundle or build player that is another platform, you need to throw away all the imported asset data away of your current selected platform then import asset data of the new platform starts from zero. I see you guys working on Scriptable Build Pipeline so I hope this pain point can be solved that giving an option to retain your imported asset data of previous platform. With this feature I think I can save a lot of time to build multi platforms asset bundle or player.

2. Allan-Smith

Allan-Smith

I believe this is already possible using the Cache server, which does literally what you are asking for. I've never used it myself but might be worth checking it out.

3. unity_bill

unity_bill

Thanks for your feedback. Allan is correct that the cache server does exactly that. https://forum.unity.com/threads/create-faster-in-unity-with-cache-server-v6.536310/

The scriptable build pipeline doesn't actually control the importing at all, so you'll need the cache server, but if you do have that server, you can also improve your build times. The SBP package will cache what it can on that server to speed up builds across your team using an improved incremental build system.

Thanks,
    Bill

optimise likes this.
  4. optimise

optimise

Personally I really hope this feature will be supported without cache server or is there any plan to make it as a package into Package Manager?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018