Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Feature Request] Removing projects from Hub

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by fherbst, Jul 17, 2019.

1. fherbst

fherbst

I'm sure this must have been requested before, but it would be great if I could remove projects from the Hub that I don't want to see in the list anymore. Another option would be to "star" projects I come back to often.
    Yet another option (that I would like a lot) would be to "save searches" (much as labels work in GMail).

I have ~200 Unity projects on my machine that I have to come back to on various occasions (for maintenance, extracting some stuff, upgrading to newer versions, ...) and my Hub list is so long that I now always use "Add" and just select the right folder instead of going through the list, totally defeating the purpose. I need a way to either "clean up" the list or organize it better.

nitrofurano likes this.
  2. gregacuna

gregacuna

What I don't understand is this was a simple and easy to use part in earlier versions of Hub. Where has it gone. It is a real mess to have old projects sitting in Hub making it difficult to find things.

nitrofurano likes this.
  3. fherbst

fherbst

My guess is that someone from UX decided it might confuse people ("wait, does remove delete my project? Or the bookmark?").

Hint: it doesn't if you word it properly. I'm fine deleting folders myself I don't need, outside hub. But I want to be able to remove bookmarks from inside the hub.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
    nitrofurano likes this.
  4. Just restart the hub, if you remove the folder of the project the Hub will be updated after true restart (right click in the tray icon, quit, restart)

Remove project was never ever part of Unity's project handling. Neither in Hub nor in the Project window in the older Unity versions.

nitrofurano likes this.
  5. nitrofurano

nitrofurano

i'm struggling with it a lot as well, having to do hundreds of experiments and seeing that chaos everytime is a huge headache - hugely confusing, distracting and time-wasting... - what i'm doing is constantly renaming the project's folder, all the time before running Unity - but having to do it again and again is truly a pain in the arse - perhaps, is that projects list stored in some config file that we can empty and lock for writing somehow? (if someone found it out, please let us know!!!!!)

6. fherbst

fherbst

@Lurking-Ninja point is, I don't want to delete the projects on disk. I just want the bookmark in Hub to disappear. This is common functionality in e.g. SourceTree (same idea, projects are folders, you might want to add/remove them without deleting files).

nitrofurano likes this.
  7. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

Hi @fherbst,

Yes, we are aware of the issue (and the fact that it's a basic software feature). But rejoice! We are shipping the "Remove Project" feature in Hub 2.1 which you can expect in early August. We're sorry for the wait.

Cheers,

fherbst and nitrofurano like this.
  8. nitrofurano

nitrofurano

thanks! anyway, another interesting feature would be a kind of checkbox (next to where we choose to start a project in 3d or 2d, etc.) if we want to have that starting project in that projects list or not, and added to that, being able to define in the Unity's preferences if we have that set by default or not

AbrahamDUnity likes this.
  9. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

nitrofurano likes this.
  10. Deleted User

Deleted User

I have a better idea, I think: https://forum.unity.com/threads/fea...extual-menu-remove-from-unity-hub-too.720356/

Sorry for the self-advertising... :(

11. nitrofurano

nitrofurano

thanks, @AbrahamDUnity - another idea would be considering using the option from a previous project (if the previous appeared in the hub list the next will do that too, and the same when it wasn't as well - and providing the user the possibility to enable or disable that, as from the hub interface, as from Unity's preferences, as i mentioned above)

@APSchmidt that was a totally different thing, not a better or worse idea - i'm commenting why, there on the thread weblink your provided! :)