Search Unity

Feedback [Feature Request] Re-sign already finished iOS builds

Discussion in 'Unity Build Automation' started by henriqueranj, Jan 25, 2019.

1. henriqueranj

henriqueranj

Hello,

It would be a great improvement to the iOS build sharing of Unity Cloud Build if we could re-sign an already finished build with a new Provisioning Profile.

This is very handy when new UDIDs need to be added into a Provisioning Profile and all it would take is a resign (instead of being forced to build a new IPA).

The intended feature could be to:
    1. have a re-sign option in a specific entry of the build history
    2. pick a signing credentials from a list of existing credentials or create a new one
    3. confirm the re-sign
    4. the current share link would now provide the newly re-signed IPA

Additionally, it would help to see somewhere which signing credential was applied to a specific build.

As UCB already uses fastlane, wouldn't it be easy to integrate a resign feature with sigh? https://docs.fastlane.tools/actions/sigh/#resign

[Edit]
    I also posted this in the Unity Feedback: https://feedback.unity3d.com/suggestions/re-sign-already-finished-ios-build

In any case, it would be really helpful to have some insight from the UCB support team about such a feature.

thibouf likes this.
  2. timtunity3d

timtunity3d

Unity Technologies

I'm looking at this sort of thing right now (although there are technical details that may take a while). This is good input, thanks.
    We'd talked about being able to update the provisioning profile and resign with the same cert, but I can see how resigning with a new cert might also be useful. Thanks for your input.

henriqueranj likes this.
  3. henriqueranj

henriqueranj

4. allan-oooh

allan-oooh

"Re-sign" build is now an option in the triple dot menu beside a finished build in the build history.

However when I try that the new build job fails with the error message:

Error: unrecognized project! Please check your app configuration - if this is a Unity application, We expect your "Project Subdirectory" to be set to the path which directly contains the ProjectSettings and Assets directories. For a native app, this should be set to the path which directly contains the project file (.xcodeproj, project.properties, etc).

My project is in a sub directory, but the build configuration is correct (otherwise the original build would have failed). So it seems like resign isn't dealing with sub directories properly.

5. victorw

victorw

Thanks for reporting this, if you open a support ticket then we can investigate this issue further.

6. allan-oooh

allan-oooh

Thanks Victor,

I did open a support ticket, and it looks like this feature wasn't ready for release, as the UI was updated today to roll back this option.

At least it seems like this is on the roadmap, looking forward to being able to use it in the future.

7. henriqueranj

henriqueranj

I know it's been a while, but what happened to this feature? At some point is what available in the UCB dashboard but now it seems to be gone?

8. JamesSozoLabs

JamesSozoLabs

Do we know if this is a thing yet?

9. henriqueranj

henriqueranj

Yes, it is there! And it has been working well for the past weeks.

You can press on the "..." button next to an iOS build in the build history and you should see an option that says "Re-Sign Build" (see screenshot below).

upload_2022-10-12_11-15-12.png

Some notes:
    • This option only appears if the iOS credentials for this build target is now different from the credentials this build started with. This means a new credential entry or a credential with an updated Provisioning Profile.
    • Triggering this option will create a new build entry in the build history and therefore a new Share Link.