Search Unity

Feature Request / Question, Soft Selection

Discussion in 'World Building' started by PassivePicasso, Apr 22, 2020.

1. PassivePicasso

PassivePicasso

In many 3d modeling tools you have Soft Selection.
    This is a setup where actions conducted on a selection are applied to adjacent parts with a falloff based upon distance.
    It looks like ProBuilder is using the WingedEdge data structure which should make cascading modifications theoretically simple and fast.

If I wanted to add this feature to my current build, can I use the public facing api to apply this?
    If so what would I hook to find out when a modification is being made?

2. PassivePicasso

PassivePicasso

Just to clarify a little, I don't want to build an entirely new editing experience in order to implement this.
    I'm hoping that I can get a notification when a vertex, face or edge is modified, and get that element, find adjacent elements according to a fall off and then apply that modification to adjacent elements with a reduced value based upon that fall off

3. kaarrrllll

kaarrrllll

Unity Technologies

4. PassivePicasso

PassivePicasso

Yeah, definitely only transform handles, I don't even want to think about what that would mean for something like extrude.
    Unfortunately doing it right in PositionMoveTool wouldn't be feasible. I'm setting up a level editing project that needs to be shared and I dont want to directly package Probuilder. I'll investigate selectionUpdated.

Is there any facility for me to modify the drawing of vertices, edges, and faces, specifically just changing the color of them, a visual representation of your soft selection is useful.