Search Unity

Feature Request: ProBuilder 1.Constrain vertices movement to edge 2.Constrain edge movement to face

Discussion in 'World Building' started by Grimlock_Arts, Oct 19, 2019.

1. Grimlock_Arts

Grimlock_Arts

Constrain vertices movement to edge:

ProBuilder allows movement orientation of: Local, Normal, and Global. As geometry moves from clean 90 degree placement on the X, Y, and Z axis to various angles it becomes very important to be able to move vertices constrained to the edge they are on in order to further work the geometry into more complex shapes. This would apply to vertices that rest between two edges of the same angle. This would allow designers to Alt-E between two edges adding in a new edge and two vertices. The designer could then position the vertices further up or down the edges where they are required regardless of the orientation of the edges.

Constrain edge movement to face.

Very similar to the above feature only specific to edges. Essentially the movement would be oriented to move up or down the face in which the edge resides as long as the two adjacent faces are on the same angle or the two connecting edges on either side are of the same angle. The two connecting edges on one side probably wouldn’t have to be the same as the two connecting edges on the other side just as long as both sides have a pair of edges that are the same angle.

If this is already possible please let me know, I searched quite a bit and watched many official videos and
    I couldn’t find an option to constrain to edges or faces. There’s probably additional constrains that can be expanded off of these ideas to help the user in more complex world creation in ProBuilder.

Yany likes this.
  2. Grimlock_Arts

Grimlock_Arts

Here's a simple example of where constraining the vertices movement to the edge would be useful. If I wanted to build a window frame out of this trapezoid shape I would need to move the selected vertices along the edge. I could then extrude the final trapezoid in the center upwardly.

Attached Files:

Yany likes this.
  3. Yany

Yany

This is a very must-have, practically unavoidable in several cases to move a vertex along an edge.

4. VirtualDestructor

VirtualDestructor

I also need this feature.

Yany likes this.