Search Unity

Feature request: package.json docs+changelog+license URLs

Discussion in 'Package Manager' started by bddckr, Dec 17, 2018.

1. bddckr

bddckr

Despite being different from npm (and supporting its protocol) package.json files currently have no way to specify the various links the package manager UI already shows. The UI currently seems to be hardcoded to the assumption that the author is Unity and the package is found in Unity's registry, but I've seen it now parsing the author key to show the author.name which is great!

Are there plans to support more keys like npm's license (SPDX license identifier), homepage, bugs, repository, author.url keys?

2. erick_unity

erick_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi @bddckr good question, we're likely to do a mix of custom and standard when we open up this new format to developers other than Unity. That is likely to happen through the Unity Asset Store, which already has mechanisms in place to expose licensing, documentation, developer information, so we're going to be looking at what's in place, and what alternatives exist that would provide the best experience for both package developers and the folks who are going to use them.

bddckr likes this.
  3. bddckr

bddckr

Thanks for the answer - great to hear it's on the radar!

For open-source packages I would prefer to not have to ship through the Asset Store if possible (mainly because I often have a way tighter update schedule than what would make sense for Asset Store costumers), but I understand if that won't be supported. My perfect scenario would be to give npm feed support through UPM to users who want to stay on the latest at all times (valued testers!) while also releasing proper (major) releases on the Asset Store.
    For those feed users it would be great to be able to nudge them into the right direction for licensing, documentation and support information.