Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Feature Request: One Button install of a Project's current editor version

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by benthroop, Jan 22, 2021.

1. benthroop

benthroop

My Windows machine got funky and needed a Reset, so I'm going through and reinstalling all of my programs today. Unity Hub is great, but there is too much friction in installing versions of the editor that are not the most current. For example, one of my projects is on 2019.3.6f1 and it cannot change due to various compatibility issues.

So what I'm made to do is click Add, then see the version is not there, then the Archive link, which is not super obvious, then over in by browser click on the Unity Hub button for that version, which then starts the install process in Hub. This whole round trip is annoying and feels disrespectful. It's not that it takes a lot of time, it's that it feels like the Hub team is actively trying to discourage my behavior... when we know full well there are legit reasons to stay on old editor versions.

If Hub can properly detect what version I should be using, then it should provide a button, right there on the project list, to install the correct editor. Please consider adding this, for the sanity of all us devs who are on prior editor versions for good reason.

Thanks