Search Unity

Feature Request - new release alerts

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by CaseyHofland, Aug 27, 2018.

1. CaseyHofland

CaseyHofland

Whenever I open Unity Hub, as a habit I navigate towards the Install Page and check for new installs. Of course, 9 out of 10 times I find nothing. It's when I started to wonder; why not alert the user when there is a new version of Unity?

Here is what I'd like to see:
    - An alert is displayed by a red box with an exclamation mark next to "Installs" in the header, much like it looks on "Projects > In the Cloud". For bonus points, add it next to "Official Releases" and "Beta Releases" as well!
    - It alerts you about updates only on Unity versions you own. If 2017.1.6f1 comes out I don't really care, but for the new 2018.2 I'm always on the edge of my seat!
    - It alerts you when the newest Unity version comes out, including the beta release. This ties in neatly with the previous option, where if you decide to ignore the new version and not install it, the system won't alert you anymore! Do note that it should still alert you when the beta becomes official.
    - Just as good practice and mindset, it should work for someone who first uses Unity Hub but already has some versions of Unity Installed.

I don't think this is too hard to implement, especially so because you use good naming conventions. Perhaps only the box to the installs thing is problematic, but you've always got that little sub-header you use to tell us about a new Hub Version, so you could instead utilize that here as well. I hope you will consider it!

Lots of love, your number 27,361st fan.

2. afshinity

afshinity

Unity Technologies

Thanks a lot for using unity hub and your valuable feedback.

I will share this wonderful feedback with our product manager.

Thanks,
    Afshin

3. DanielTG

DanielTG

Hi @CaseyHofland

(Product Manager here, chiming in). As Afshin says, thank you for the feedback, and for being one of our top fans! :)
    The team is busy wrapping up on version 1.0 release (tackling some new issues) but we've already begun design and specking out new features. Release notification as you've described is amongst that list, and part of a overhaul on the general UI design to make this more visible. We just recently implemented an RSS feed under the hood in the Hub to help with automating the office/beta release list update and expect to leverage that in other areas in the Hub as well We hope to share more (i.e. something for you all to try) in the early fall when we make more advances beyond v1.0

Thanks again,
    Daniel

4. Baste

Baste

Oh god no. I hate it when software does that.

If you implement something like this, please add a toggle in the settings to turn it off. I really don't want my software nagging me about new versions. I know I can just ignore the notification, but any kind of "please click me" exclamation marks is friction, and since starting the Hub is probably the first thing I do in a day, that'll start the day off on a sour note.