Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Feature Request] New iOS 12.2 Certificate installation UX

Discussion in 'Unity Build Automation' started by henriqueranj, Apr 24, 2019.

1. henriqueranj

henriqueranj

Hello, with the iOS 12.2 update, the certificates downloaded via an email or website now need to be manually installed via the Settings app.

Therefore, there is no more seamless transition from Device Detect in the UCB share page and the user installing the Certificate and then, finally, install the IPA.

Currently the users must do the following to install an iOS build from UCB:
    1. User opens Share Page in Safari.
    2. User presses Detect Device button
    3. User accepts to download Certificate
    4. NEW: The device shows the message "Profile downloaded - Review the profile in Settings app if you want to install". Note: The profile will only be kept for 8 minutes. If a profile is not installed within 8 minutes of downloading it, it is automatically deleted.
    5. NEW: Open the Settings app
    6. NEW: Go to Profile Downloaded
    7. NEW: Tap on UCB certificate
    8. Press install and confirm
    9. User is brought back to the UCB Share page
    10. User can finally press Install button and install the app.
    With this, would it be possible for the UCB website to consider a better UX flow for this step? As the Device Detection now requires the manual Certificate installation, our testers are getting very confused and we must send a block of instructions if they have iOS 12.2.

victorw likes this.
  2. dri_richard

dri_richard

And more than this, when a user receives a new build via email or Slack, they have to open the webpage in Safari - the embedded browser won't work.
    Everyone on my team needs individual support to get set up on UCB. It is seen as a complex, techy solution.

3. JackBurfy

JackBurfy

I've already spoken about this with Henrique via direct message, but I thought I'd post this here for anyone else who is curious about this issue.

Our dev team have logged this to be fixed and will be looking to improve the iOS certificate installation workflow in the very near future, as we understand that this can be a frustrating bottleneck in the development process.

I'll keep you posted as soon as I have any more information :)

henriqueranj and Lars-Steenhoff like this.
  4. dri_richard

dri_richard

Thanks, @JackBurfy

Any plans to address the other problems I mentioned above?

The flow for users receiving builds is difficult, because simply clicking the 'install' link in an email or a Slack message on an iPhone typically doesn't work, i.e. it opens the page in an embedded browser and you have to re-open the page in Safari.

We use Jenkins internally for developer-facing builds, and I want to use UCB for less technical staff, but it's problematic for the above reasons. Various team members would prefer to use HockeyApp because apparently it 'just works'.

Are there any plans to either address the underlying issue - not sure if you can - or to rewrite the message wording to guide users through the installation better?