Search Unity

[Feature Request] Make Unity Hub window resizable.

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by Noisecrime, Jul 18, 2018.

1. Noisecrime

Noisecrime

Hi,

I've been using Unity Hub almost exclusively for several months now and really like the direction its going. Its already proved very useful, time saving and just plain easier to work with for launching correct Unity versions for specific projects.

Its gotten to the point where i'm seriously considering deleting all my Unity install desktop shortcuts, Windows Start menu pinned installs and the installs pinned to my taskbar! This is a huge step for me as at any one time I have 6-8 Unity versions installed and that's not even including various betas, alpha or experimental builds. Really I can't emphasize enough just how much of a workflow change this would be for myself and something I never dreamed would be possible.

There is currently only one major drawback that stops me and that is the lack of being able to resize the Hub window.

The problem i'm facing is that with the default Hub window size, i'm unable to view all my Unity install versions in one go, forcing me to scroll to get to the oldest builds. Being able to resize the window ( which is well under half the height of my available screen, in fact its almost just over a third ) would allow me to view all my installed versions easily without scrolling, even if the number of installs were to grow considerably.

In addition I noticed when trying to add versions prior to 2017 having to scroll down to the 'locate a version' is a bit of a workflow killer, especially when trying to add half a dozen installs sequentially. Its also an option that can easily be missed since it might be offscreen depending on number of installed versions. Perhaps this option could be move into the side bar menu or something?

Thanks

Spartanash1 likes this.
  2. afshinity

afshinity

Unity Technologies

Hi there,

Thanks a lot for your very valuable feedback and we are so happy that Unity Hub is helpful.

At this point, we are fixing bugs to make sure we can provide a stable tool to Unity users.
    In the next phase, we are improving our user experience. I am happy to tell you that both suggestions that you mentioned (the resizing and the manual locate button) are included in our new UI that we are working on.

You may need to wait a bit for that, but you will enjoy it more than now.

Noisecrime likes this.
  3. Noisecrime

Noisecrime

That's great to hear and will certainly help usability in the future.

One other aspect I forgot to mention, but it would be great to get some filtering/sorting options added to the Projects panel in the future too.

I work on a large number of different projects year by year and periodically have to go back and update old projects. Its unclear just how many project references are saved/stored in the Hub, but its already difficult and time consuming to find the right one if its something i've not been working on recently. Its easy to simply scroll past a project name and due to some projects have multiple versions or multiple similar name projects they too can easily be missed.

So having a means to sort the Projects by date, name, unity version, as well as filters to narrow down the results by say project name etc would all be very useful.

Another useful UI addition would be to store a screenshot/thumbnail of the project so you can visually find projects in the list instead of having to read project names.

Hopefully this is something else that you are already considering in a future UI update.

Thanks

4. afshinity

afshinity

Unity Technologies

This is also covered in the next generation of the hub. Thanks again

5. nickleplated

nickleplated

What do we do when our Unity Hub window is stuck like this?

6. afshinity

afshinity

Unity Technologies

Sorry for the experience, that is so unfortunate.
    I am wondering if it happens on an external screen with higher/lower resolution than the main screen. Any information about the environment can help us to reproduce and fix this issue

As a workaround, have you tried closing the window and reopening it again? (not quitting the hub. Just click on X to close it and reopen it through the tray menu)

7. nickleplated

nickleplated

Sorry for the delayed response, apparently I didn't have email notifications turned on.

It was resized to that small resolution when my external monitors went to sleep and Windows detected that they were "disconnected" and decided to be helpful and resize all my windows for me to an unusable tiny size. This was the only window that I couldn't stretch back to normal.

I'm not sure how "quitting the hub" is any different from closing it, but after several times closing and restarting it, I finally got lucky and it started at the correct size.

8. R42_Leon

R42_Leon

+1 for this request. I use a keyboard shortcuts based window manager to stack my windows around - it's very annoying that Unity Hub does receive the resize signal, but it's pretty unusable at anything but its native size. Plus it remembers last window size, so once I resize it it's stuck in that size forever since I can't resize the window.

E.G. this is the Hub snapped to the left half of the screen: