Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback [Feature Request] Make multiple GameObjects hidden/unselectable simultaneously

Discussion in '2022.2 Beta' started by Deleted User, May 13, 2022.

?

How important is this feature to you/your workflow?

Poll closed May 22, 2022.
  1. Critical

12.5%
  2. Important

25.0%
  3. Nice-To-Have

62.5%
  1. Deleted User

Deleted User

When Unity introduced this feature, it saved its users from sacrificing their workflow and replacing the old method by disabling/deactivating GameObjects, to preserving them and gaining advantage.

However, this already built-in feature lacks a very important aspect: Making mulitple GameObejcts hidden/unselectable simultaneously.

Currently, you cannot do this, the only way out is to revert back to the old method.

> Of course, one might say: You can solve this by creating a parent GameObject and hide/make it unselectable, and the rest of children will follow. Like this:

Flawed Method.gif

- However, the flaw with this method, is that: Yes, my GameObjects could be under a parent, but what if I want to apply this for *some* of them and not all? What if I have too many of them?

<<< Here comes the feature to save the day >>>

Use your imagination:

Flawless Method.gif

2. JoNax97

JoNax97

But you already needed 3 clicks to select the objects in the first place

3. Deleted User

Deleted User

4. Deleted User

Deleted User

To make it clearer: This feature is mostly useful for so many GameObjects and for Big Projects.

Let's say you have 100 GameObjects under a specific parent, and you need to make 30 of them hidden and/or unselectable .. currently, you have no other choice but to do it individually for each one of them; which is tedious and unpractical. This is where this feature comes in handy.

5. Luemus

Luemus

You can hide/unhide the selected GameObjects by pressing 'H' key. Not sure if there is a shortcut for unselectable.

Rallix and (deleted member) like this.
  6. Deleted User

Deleted User

That's a great tip!

After digging in, I tried multiple keys for unselectable, and I found a shortcut for it!

• Hide/Unhide: H
    • Make Unselectable/Re-selectable: L

Thanks to Luemus for the help. This marks the end of this thread as it fulfilled its purpose. Vote shall be locked.

mahdi_jeddi likes this.
  7. mahdi_jeddi

mahdi_jeddi

Shift+H shows only the selected ones. You can then either click the button to exit the "isolation view" or press Shift+H again to go back to normal. It actually saves the previous Hide/Unselectable states for all other objects.

adamgolden and Deleted User like this.
  8. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff