Search Unity

Feedback [Feature Request?] Improving/Extending Project Window for better Workflow

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Jawsarn, May 8, 2019.

1. Jawsarn

Jawsarn

Hey! To start off this is something I want to do, but I don't mind if unity takes this as a feature request to have a new type of Project Window.

So as my project is getting larger I feel like the current Project Window is lacking. My workflow is having larger folders on top like => Script/Prefabs/Graphics/Scenes/ => and dividing it down to leafs with a bunch of assets. I feel like the currently best view is the two collumn one, but it's lacking when moving between different assets. This requires precision and full mind capacity by reading each label(as the view changes by which subfolders are expanded or not) instead of just going with the feel of "area" and "clicking patterns". The requirement of double clicking on folders in the icon view is also just annoying since folders don't contain any inspector information.

NewProjectWindow.png

I would like to create/modify the Project Window into something like the image.
    - Top down approach where selected folder gives you view of subfolders below.
    - You can scroll to subfolders that don't fit on the row in your view.
    - At the leaf node you have the remaining space where the items also are allowed to fill out vertically.
    - Single click on folders to get to next.
    - Button to divide the window in half to keep two seperate trees active for quick drag and drop inbetween.
    - Subtree memory, when you click on folders you get to your last subtree of folders you were using.

So my question to this is if there is currently any way to derive the functionalty of the Project Window and improve it?

Thanks for any help or feedback (to my feedback?)!

2. Jawsarn

Jawsarn

Somone maybe know if the source code for Project window is avaiable somewhere?