Search Unity

Feature Request - Git integration

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by avvie, Jul 10, 2018.

1. avvie

avvie

So I am finding myself opening a console to clone a repo, then open it from hub.
    There are times i didnt see code of another when i wanted because those extra steps bored me :)
    also if i move from pc to another, in workspace, house, showing off to friends or whatever. I find that i would be convinient to had some git functionality on the hub.

So I would love if i can open a project, the same way i am now. but if i paste an http link from github that it would automatically clone it and open. I am playing around and experimenting with ECS so that would help me as it is often one pastes a github there.

It would be fun if i could connect my account repos to my unity account on hub. be that the public profile and repos. or a more indepth auth that gives access to private as well

Thoughts? is it just me that finds this as a hit to ones creativity when seeing somebody pasting a repo ?

2. Grumpy-Dot

Grumpy-Dot

Personally I think this is too complicated and unnecessary.
    The Unity Hub team should not spend time to reinvent the GIT clients - there are plenty of them already, each with a specific workflow.

For your request, I would suggest to have a general Unity Hub project file (similar with a project file from VS) which you can commit along with your project. Therefore, you can checkout the project using your favourite GIT client, then simply open the Unity Hub project file, which will open it into Unity.

The Unity Hub project file can be a simply bat file (once the CLI gets implemented), or it can contain extra settings, but that is for the Unity Hub team to decide.

3. joeksy

joeksy

Unity Technologies

4. avvie

avvie

well i can see from your responses that this is a feature lying outside the requirements of the project which is perfectly reasonable