Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Feature request for the 2019.3 redesign

Discussion in '2019.3 Beta' started by DoctorShinobi, Jun 4, 2019.

1. DoctorShinobi

DoctorShinobi

One thing that's been bothering me with the Pro skin is that the Unity menu bar seems to stay white even though the rest of the editor becomes dark. It even ignores Window's theme color. This is very distracting and is something that's occurs on Windows 10(Maybe even 7?). I was hoping the 2019.3 redesign would perhaps fix it.
    Is it something that can be considered to be changed? Here's a picture that describes what I'm talking about
    upload_2019-6-4_11-16-45.png

2. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

Default Win10 forms do this out of the box, Win 7 shouldn't. It also affects the topmost bar with Unity version and project name unless you've setup Windows to put that on darker color.

That being said, Unity could and IMO should fix it on new theme as it's only app I use at development that puts that bright top section. For reference, look at how Visual Studio does the dark theme: everything is nice, dark and coherent there even though they use old style menus like on Unity.

3. mishakozlov74

mishakozlov74

Take a look at the new JetBrains solution for toolbar.
    They've merged it with window title and it is great for both the appearance and UX.

Also, why do you think they are going to release the new theme with 2019.3?

4. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

I believe the redesigned themes landed in 2019.3 alpha4. I think it's unlikely they're going to remove it again.

5. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

I'm frankly most annoyed by the new Package Manager update available icons, they blend in so well that they are super tedious to spot. Old icons worked really well...

6. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

I mean this:

look at these icons:

it feels like people doing the UI redesign thought that the update icons were TOO obvious. Here's the same thing on old theme, note how the update is clearly visible still:

Sorry for the harsh tone, it's just reoccurring pattern recently on any UI / UX change with Unity. It feels things get changed for sake of changing things and usability usually gets hurt as it feels like an afterthought on these redesigns.

7. Sylmerria

Sylmerria

I even don't see the last icon was different when I first read your post :confused:

SugoiDev likes this.
  8. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

hippocoder, elbows and rz_0lento like this.
  9. Prodigga

Prodigga

Is it too much to ask for a simple acknowledgement...? If you guys see a thread and are taking steps to address the problem... Say so. Don't leave your community in the dark. Like @col000r, I have so many unanswered posts, it sucks, and it feels like a big waste of time. Just a simple reply goes a very long way.

dadude123, SmartMediaNL and halley like this.
  10. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

@Prodigga I believe this is because it's general culture at Unity (at least in the slack channels I frequent there) to only answer if you have something to add. I also have chatted with @LeonhardP on a few occasions and I'm 100% sure he's not ignoring anyone - just has nothing to add at this point. He's a nice guy!

SugoiDev likes this.
  11. Prodigga

Prodigga

To be clear I have no issue with Leonhard, he is one of the best Unity Devs as he is so active. That doesn't mean Unity doesn't have a communication problem though. Not replying because you have nothing to add is indistinguishable from the devs not seeing your post! We can't read the developers minds, we don't know what they actually see and what they don't.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    dadude123 and MCrafterzz like this.