Search Unity

Feature Request Feature request for NavMeshAgent's "UpdatePosition" and "UpdateRotation" properties.

Discussion in 'Navigation' started by chillcomanager, Apr 18, 2023.

1. chillcomanager

chillcomanager

I recently noticed a handful of scenarios in which I needed to manually use the NavMeshAgent's nextPosition property for use in my own systems (like controlling Rigidbodies based off nextPosition instead of it manually setting position) but noticed that I also wanted a value literally equal to UpdatePosition and UpdateRotation that WOULDN'T control Unity's implementation and use of nextPosition (AKA being able to read and write to UpdatePosition and UpdateRotation without it enabling Unity's NavMeshAgent movement instead of making my own variables accessable from anywhere that do the exact same thing as UpatePosition and UpdateRotation just without enabling Unity's NavMeshAgent movement). So here is my proposition, could there be some sort of property on the NavMeshAgent component like "ForceStopAgentMovement" that would disable unity from automatically using UpdateRotation and UpdatePosition so that I could read & write to them for my own implementation? It could be seen as lazy that I don't just make publically accessable variables like this but I believe it could offer a nice quality of life feature for people that are similarly discontent with Unity's automatic NavMeshAgent movement.

Enderlook and FoodFish_ like this.
  2. FoodFish_

FoodFish_

I'm also missing something like this. NavMeshAgents are almost unusable if you don't literally let them move on their own.